Bryopsis possible solution

Six days in, reporting back. Progress is good, day 5-6 really put the hurt on it.

FtK6iYz.jpg

lR4WelB.jpg

K2bLSC0.jpg

zqsLc9q.jpg

sT9V7Ea.jpg

8hhth9s.jpg

Last edited:
Just put in another treatment at the higher dose. Having a small panic as I can't remember if I remove bio pellets , reading through thread I can't see this mentioned ? Anyone know ?

I treated as directed when this first came out. all the bryopsis died out and was gone for 3 months or so. Then it came back and I retreated at a slightly higher dose and it disappeared quickly. Today I noticed it coming back. My last dose was several months ago. Kind of concerning.

I treated as directed when this first came out. all the bryopsis died out and was gone for 3 months or so. Then it came back and I retreated at a slightly higher dose and it disappeared quickly. Today I noticed it coming back. My last dose was several months ago. Kind of concerning.

Is it possible to keep a low maintenance dose going for multiple months? Maybe an extended period of time of low saturation will fully kill it off.

Maybe do a regular dose, let it sit like instructed.

Dose your new saltwater BEFORE your water change with a 75% strength dose. Do your water change, then let it sit.

Next water change rolls around, do the same thing but a 50% strength dose to the fresh saltwater BEFORE your water change. Do your water change, then let it sit.

Same thing as before, but this time 25% strength. Complete same process as before.

From there on out do normal water changes without any medication being dosed, let it slowly dilute itself from your system. Even at that rate it will be in your system for awhile.

In my honest opinion if I was in your shoes, I would try what I recommended above. I see no I'll effects happening other than losing any purposely kept refugia algae, ATS, etc.

It's your call, and maybe worth a shot...keep us posted no matter what outcome or solution you chose.

When you did the first two rounds, did you just do the single dose and waiting period or did you repeat a second time? My understanding is this stuff is like cockroaches and will probably withstand a nuclear attack. So if you did not I suggest do the dose again for the required time, do the water change and then repeat immediately even if no traces can be seen.

FullBoreReefer's plan may work as well but just as I vaguely remember someone doing an experiment with a lower dosage which (from the same vague memory) did kill it but it came back within a month or so.

Don't waste your time and money trying lower dosage. Go ahead with recommended dosage and count the days. If it is bryopsis, it should be gone in two to three weeks.

My bryopsis/turf algae took a bigger hit this time around with a double dose. 20-200mg pills into 70 gals of water. lol No issues with any coral or fish etc. Skimmer went nuts like usual.

"High Dose"?

"High Dose"?

Normal dose is 1 capsule per 10 gal of water volume. Or 20mg per gallon.

Is high dose really 1 capsule per gallon?

Last edited:
Mine came back again . Though a longer period of time to return. I'm not messing about this time and have immediately treated to see if I can kill off the strangling bits.

I did a double dose 20-200mg in my 70 gal total system. I ran gfo heavily this time around and knocked this stuff down even further. Hoping to kill it off with near 0 phosphates now.

I did a double dose 20-200mg in my 70 gal total system. I ran gfo heavily this time around and knocked this stuff down even further. Hoping to kill it off with near 0 phosphates now.

That's more like a triple dose no?

You ran gfo while the fluconazole was in or after?

Back