Bryopsis possible solution

What?!?! Is this another Bryopsis cure I haven't heard of yet?

It's pure magnesium sulfate. I think the sulfate may be important. I followed the recommended dosage to treat popeye and it worked for the bryopsis. It's worth a shot, being both cheap and safe.

Not sure if this is worth mentioning but the treatment did wipe out my Refugium. It may be a coincidence , but I had two types of algae in fuge 1 dissapeard , the chaeto has Broken apart an thinned out , that being said I can live with this and restock it later. Anyone else had this happen ?

Not sure if this is worth mentioning but the treatment did wipe out my Refugium. It may be a coincidence , but I had two types of algae in fuge 1 dissapeard , the chaeto has Broken apart an thinned out , that being said I can live with this and restock it later. Anyone else had this happen ?

I am at day 18 and my cheato is fine, darker but I did notice some broken pieces compared to before. However it grew during the treatment.

I was hoping I had bryopsis, but alas it some sort of hellish turf algae that I cannot ID. GFO/carbon and strict nutrient import for me...

fluconazole works for many algaes. some take longer or second doses but I have seen results reported on gha too.

fluconazole works for many algaes. some take longer or second doses but I have seen results reported on gha too.

I'm going to dose. Been following a thread on another forum and found a photo positively identifying my algae as Bryopsis. Fluconazole should arrive tomorrow so I can start treatment.

Getting ready to consolidate tanks here in a bit and I think this may help with my current 40 breeder. Before the merge :) It has an outbreak of something for which I have no idea what it is. It is on the surface, side of tank/glass walls but not on any of the rocks. I don't plan on moving water but I do plan on moving live stock, rock, and corals.

I've re-read the thread but since having mostly a soft coral system I wanted to just make sure I understood what the general consensus is when using this product.

1. Seems most are keeping their skimmers running, correct?
2. Coral friendly? Xenia, hammers, Kenya tree, small green button polyps, golden leather.
3. How about bubble tip anemones? I have 6 rose.
4. Fish and snails - I don't recall reading about any impact.

Everything I've read so far it would appear no negative impact to livestock or coral. I've placed an order for 10 tablets so we'll give it an honest go.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 2
Run your skimmer but with the collection cup removed. Don't risk removing any of the medication while treating.
20mg per gallon. ONE TREATMENT ONLY.
Wait two-four weeks for results.

Current consensus is that it harms nothing. My clam, SPS, LPS, Softies, starfish, hermits, snails, urchin, fish, Macro's all seem unaffected by Fluconazole.

Run your skimmer but with the collection cup removed. Don't risk removing any of the medication while treating.
20mg per gallon. ONE TREATMENT ONLY.
Wait two-four weeks for results.

Current consensus is that it harms nothing. My clam, SPS, LPS, Softies, starfish, hermits, snails, urchin, fish, Macro's all seem unaffected by Fluconazole.

Thanks Scorpius - especially the note regarding the collection cup. I would have left it in. Thanks again. Should arrive next week. Will take before and after.

Getting ready to consolidate tanks here in a bit and I think this may help with my current 40 breeder. Before the merge :) It has an outbreak of something for which I have no idea what it is. It is on the surface, side of tank/glass walls but not on any of the rocks. I don't plan on moving water but I do plan on moving live stock, rock, and corals.

I've re-read the thread but since having mostly a soft coral system I wanted to just make sure I understood what the general consensus is when using this product.

2. Coral friendly? Xenia, hammers, Kenya tree, small green button polyps, golden leather.

Everything I've read so far it would appear no negative impact to livestock or coral. I've placed an order for 10 tablets so we'll give it an honest go.

I had the biggest die off of algae after day 18. I did not do a water change for a month and I continued to see improvement. I did notice that my purple/pink BTA are pale compared to before.

Good luck.

So let me make sure I understand. I need 20mg/gallon capsules are 200 mg.so I need 12 capsules to treat 120 gallons of water. Is this correct?

Bubble algae

Bubble algae

Anyone notice if this works for other algae types (ex. Bubble Algae)?

I had the little green cluster bubble algae all over my tank (120) I dosed Algaefix from API check the sponsor sites because I found some places doing half off. I started doing in Nov. and I do not have any bubble algae in my tank now. :celeb1:

brown slime

brown slime

I also used Algaefix from API on that stuff as well and it is mostly gone with a few little patches The funny thing about this stuff it causes my Rhotacdis mushroom to swell up and purse..

I have a 7 gallon LPS tank and I have noticed that Bryopis is starting to show up in lots of little places. So I will give this a go as well.

Started the initial dose this morning myself, we'll see how it goes. 40 breeder.

About 45 minutes in and everything seems to be ignoring it. I have a Golden Leather that will typically react to foreign things in the tank / water. It is fine. I know it is a bit early to tell but when I was placing the contents in the tank I did say to myself I sure hope this is ok... :)

Started the initial dose this morning myself, we'll see how it goes. 40 breeder.

About 45 minutes in and everything seems to be ignoring it. I have a Golden Leather that will typically react to foreign things in the tank / water. It is fine. I know it is a bit early to tell but when I was placing the contents in the tank I did say to myself I sure hope this is ok... :)

Fluconazole is not going to affect anything in your system other than Bryopsis and gha. You won't notice a change until 4-6 days into the treatment so don't get frustrated if you see nothing happen immediately.

Back