Build a bigger home, build a bigger tank!

Question for those who've used dry rock. How long was it before it started to look like "live rock", I know its colonized with bacteria for nitrification but just wondering how long that took for most folks, over / under 6 months?

Question for those who've used dry rock. How long was it before it started to look like "live rock", I know its colonized with bacteria for nitrification but just wondering how long that took for most folks, over / under 6 months?

I used BRS Reef Saver... took about 2-3 months to get lots of Coraline algae and about 4 months to be fully covered. I seeded the tank with a few pieces of live rock and a couple cups of live sand

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361662533.919499.jpg The lighter color rock pictured here is reef saver brs rock purchased on nov 15, 2012. Its not as deep purple as the live rock i already have but getting there.

Thanks troyholl and Chriskk I used the BRS Reef Saver too and a friend just down the street (Jeff_NJ) used pukani (his tank is about 6 weeks ahead of mine) so we were wondering what others had experienced with dry rock, I'm just about to hit 2 months and don't have any Coraline on anything other than the live rock pieces that I put in but acro's are starting to encrust.

I do have a few more pieces of live rock from my old tank but I know that there was bubble algae in that tank with them so I'm hesitant to move those over even after blacking it out for several days, they just have some soft corals still on them and I didn't want to frag them down as they are right on the rock itself.

Thanks Steve I forgot you used Pukani, if I remember you used live rock from your old tank too, right? About how much did you use?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I used around 500lbs of the dry Pukani Rock from BRS. I'd say it took two months to really start to color up for me. Additionally though, I had it curing outside in the summer sun in large horse troughs for several weeks. I think that really sped up the process.

Thanks Dan that's really good info, we know all tanks are different and the tanks are both healthy but we were just wondering what others were seeing as it relates to Coraline growth.

So I've had some new fish in QT 7 (small female) lyertail anthais, 1 royal gramma, to add to the ones from my old tank 1 scopas tang and 1 flame angel. They are split between two 40 breeders.

I'll be out of town next for a week and back on the 13th and then I'll give them a paraguard bath then 2 weeks in cupramine. My original plan was to watch them for 30 days after the treatment but the trip out of town set that back so I'm wondering if I see no issues on the fish before or during the treatment and that is only prophylactic do i need to watch for the 30 days after too? I know its backwards but I'm not sure it matters as the observation period would still have been sufficient. Of course if I see any signs or issues its treatment then 30 days observation but if there are no signs then does the order really matter?

Okay so how are people posting pictures, I was trying to link to a public area of my facebook profile but clearly that isn't working as after a few days this thread ends up with broken links. I was hoping to have things automatically update from my phone to facebook or dropbox or something like than then I could just use them here.

I have a public folder but I only link pictures out of it "without" the link to the album. "Limited, anyone with the link"

That way when I get done I can post the whole album.

Here is a link to my OLD 120 album:

<table style="width:194px;"><tbody><tr><td style="height:194px;background:url(<a href=" https:="" picasaweb.google.com="" s="" c="" transparent_album_background.gif"="" target="_blank" align="center"></td></tr><tr><td style="text-align:center;font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:11px">FishTank 2012</td></tr></tbody></table>

Back