Build a bigger home, build a bigger tank!

Looks to be an awesome build.

Why do you want to re-QT the current inhabitants? Unless some problem currently exists, I don't see a benefit or need.

Robb, thanks for following along.

Back in July when my wife and I came home from vacation the Tahitian Butterfly had something causing "popeye" it healed within a couple weeks but I saw a few dots on its body back then and had seen it "flash" against the rocks a couple times, even though that was a while back I believe it means that there is something in the tank, even though everyone looks healthy right now something is in the water and they are just able to "fight it off". Given all the extra stress the fish are about to go through, moving from the 180 to a 70, the transport to the new house, any mishaps along the way, etc... I'm expecting that whatever was in the tank with them to come out and rear its ugly head. (That Tahitian Butterfly was added in Feb 2010 and was the last fish in that tank).

So I figure if I can get things set up the way I want why not run the fish and rock / corals separate and let the rock / corals run fallow for a couple months, then after treating the fish hopefully just precautionary but anticipating an outbreak just in case re-introduce them last. We'll see how everything is looking once I get to the new house but I'm not in a rush to put anything into the big tank till I'm comfortable with it, usually I'm in a rush but for once I want to take my time. Now hopefully I can stick to that when the tank is in front of me and ready for water...

Any thoughts anyone has about re-QT or anything for that matter are always more than welcome.

Welcome Dustin.

Thanks Robb, I was thinking it couldn't hurt, QT is something I need to get better at given the much larger tank.

I love the priority with the tank being the first delivery!! Very excited to follow this build.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

brizhound, Thanks glad to have you along! The tank is actually not first though, I just wish it was, it'll be pretty close. Movers come on Friday to move the house, then the stand is being pushed back to the 3rd I'm guessing and then tank on the 5th. Those dates still might move around a bit, just need to get through this weekend moving the house and then the fish and corals into the QT system in the new house, then the fun begins with the new tank!

I love the bottom PVC better than glass that can be scratched. I like this idea, but I don't know what are the advantages and disadvantages.

Why have you chosen the PVC bottom for your new tank?

So we are into the new house and the room is ready, the stand is scheduled for delivery on Sunday am and the tank on Monday afternoon. The move was rough but everyone but the 6 line wrasse made it to the new house in the laundry room, once the tank and stand are in then I can move the QT tank into the tank room while I get the big tank ready. It'll still be slow build from here but getting close!

What is the best way for me to load pictures so they don't get lost over time?

I link pics from photobucket, but you can't move them once linked. If you have an online account somewhere, maybe create a folder titled RC thread pics(or something similar) and put copies of pics there and link them. Then, if you ever want to move the originals you wont kill the link.

Acid bath done on 300 lbs of reef saver, thanks Jeff!

Plumbing up next, then I'll start messing around with aquascaping...

2012-11-12%252015.45.44.jpg

Acid bath done on 300 lbs of reef saver, thanks Jeff!

Plumbing up next, then I'll start messing around with aquascaping...

My pleasure, Doug. It was a fun afternoon. Tank looks great. I can't wait to see it full of something other than tap water ;)

/Jeff

Thanks everyone! Sorry for the long lags in posts, I'm making progress though. Got the rough plumbing done (still need to figure out what I want on the return and how I'll drop it into the sump) but enough to drain the freshwater, clean it out and start some aquascaping!

So here is the first draft, ignore the blue tape and the water spots on the inside glass.

The closest rock to the front glass is just over 6" off the glass? Anyone think that's too close? The sides get much closer and a few are leaning on the overflow and back glass.

FTS:
2012-12-02%252021.32.08.jpg

Left:
2012-12-02%252021.32.18.jpg

Middle:
2012-12-02%252021.32.27.jpg

Right:
2012-12-02%252021.32.41.jpg

Long Side (from left):
2012-12-02%252021.33.04.jpg

Please critique mostly I'm looking for input on flow and coral spacing (remember mixed reef, mostly softies and LPS, with some SPS) but aesthetics are fair game too, you won't hurt my feelings. ;)

nice big tank! pardon the ignorance but where's the return? I only see the three holes, which i assumed is covered for your overflow box?

Back