Bulbs other than radiums for blue wave 7 ballast to encourage faster sps growth

Lighting questions are moved to this forum routinely. If the question is specific to SPS needs then we keep them there. Choice of fixture, brand, bulbs, ballasts, etc are what we created this forum for a long time ago because the SPS Forum was nothing but equipment questions.

What's the age/condition of your ballast? I'm running one radium on an electronic ARO ballast, and it is very bright, not overly blue at all. I have it over a 40br and have to have it on an inefficient spider reflector to keep the par from being too much (think I'm getting about 200-250 on the sand, iirc). Do you have a par meter or can you borrow one? FWIW, the xm10k on an m80 will crank out 2x the par of the radium, so I certainly wouldn't replace both with xm10k. I used to run a 250w 20k plusrite on an m58 ballast with two 36" VHO bulbs over a 58g. I could easily grow sps in the far corners.

sneeyatch when you ran the ushio 14k's did you use 250 watt version? And did you use the blue wave ballast to power them?

Yes and yes. It was the only lighting over my cube at the time, no actinics or anything else. I enjoy the whiter / sunnier look of lamps as opposed to 20k's.

I do remember that about Reeflux bulbs now that it was mentioned. That's the reason I switched to the Ushios.

Here's a color reference of that set-up (Ushio with the Blue Wave) right before I broke down the system. Very white color IMO - did wash some colors out of some of the corals. Remember, this is just a 250 watt Ushio over a 150 gallon deep dimension, no supplemental lighting at all.

Sanjay's data shows a CCT of 9,921K on an M80 and between 11,500-13,000K depending on the electronic ballast FWIW.

Back