butterflies in reefs

2016-10-08_10.35.08-768x915_zpshigyogfz.jpg

This is a great thread! I was searching for a possible natural predator for majano anemones and chanced upon this thread. It appears saddleback and burgess are known to eat majanos. My LFS happen to have a pair of saddleback and I bought 1 immediately. Now it is in my reef.

c16553268becd0238f201105b9e9b1eb.jpg

However, as usual, the post-purchase anxiety set in... I read here that it doesn't really go for healthy corals so I am ready to take a bet on that. My system is mainly SPS, with some LPS such as sun coral, hammer, duncan, goniopora and chalice. I also have some gorgonian, zoas, mushrooms (which I don't mind some trimming). But my main concern now is I have a rock of Christmas Tree Worms, which is my most treasured piece of inhabitant.

Can anyone advise me what is the likelihood of saddleback eating up my coral and invertebrates, especially the Christmas Tree Worms?

In addition, would a Burgess be a safer alternative?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk
I think it's pretty safe to say the worms are on the menu (if not bear the top) for most butterflies. Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I think it's pretty safe to say the worms are on the menu (if not bear the top) for most butterflies. Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Fortunately, my Christmas Tree worms are safe from the menu so far. But unfortunately, the saddleback didn't make it. It just died 3 days ago. Possibly due to aggression from other fishes such as the tangs and centropyge. It was feeding on the mysis and the other feather worms in my tank though.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

I recently sold all my corals in my old 90 & moved my fish & lr over to a 180, which will be FOWLR. I added a small Saddleback Butterfly & a medium Latticed Butterfly to the 90. There were some small pieces of birdsnest coral still on the sandbed. They both took no time to start nipping & pulling at them. So, these guys would have been a no go for a reef.

Another thread ruined by photobucket.

You're not kidding. I read this thread awhile ago and occasionally go back to look at all the beautiful photos. Now most of them are missing. Only have crappy photos of my new butterflies, so I'll add them to the gallery.

Attachments

• Latticed.jpg
    Latticed.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 0
  • saddle.jpg
    saddle.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 0
Back