butterflies in reefs

For starters, is the the reason you seem to only have SPS? Does he nip? Do you feel like he would do damage in a smaller tank with less coral, or different kinds of coral?
Damage would proportionately worsen the smaller you go.
Every individual is different. I'm hesitant to make a blanket statement regarding what corals any given individual might pester.
I don't have many softies. The few LPS, Zoas and corallimorphs I have are not bothered much by my semi.
It definitely favors Pocillopora :fish1:

Maybe keeping a pocci is a good idea in any tank with a Semi.............if he favors it, there's a better chance the other corals will be left alone.

When I had my Semis they would strip rocks clean and destroy any live coral. I remember putting an acro in a plastic bag and they were attacking the bag trying to get at it.:lol:

My experience probably isn't the best example as they lived for years without corals of any kind. Any new rock put in the tank was probably looked at as a food source.

I know some butterflies go for aptasia, but what about BTA? I was thinking of pulling most my corals to another tank and making my main tank a BTA tank.

My SPS, just like in nature, have learned only to extend PE at night, but it doesn't stop them from looking..
IMG_4433_zpssvookvmv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_4437_zps6gmqci1w.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Maybe keeping a pocci is a good idea in any tank with a Semi.............if he favors it, there's a better chance the other corals will be left alone.

I've had a corallivore in quarantine since November. He eats well, but has had a few disease issues. I have been offering him various corals, leaving small colonies in his tank for a week. Interestingly he, like many corallivores, favours pocci...and hyacinthus :rolleyes:

Good news is he doesn't eat them as vigorously as he did before he was taught to eat various frozen foods. He has also shown no interest in many other acros he has been offered. :thumbsup:

Will this translate to reality in the DT?
Dunno....guess I'll find out in about eight weeks time. The risk is worth it in my mind, so long as the damage done is (hopefully!) not across the board. :deadhorse1:

:wave:

When I had my Semis they would strip rocks clean and destroy any live coral. I remember putting an acro in a plastic bag and they were attacking the bag trying to get at it.:lol:

My experience probably isn't the best example as they lived for years without corals of any kind. Any new rock put in the tank was probably looked at as a food source.
great info- thanks for sharing!
Poci in a reef aquarium can become a nuisance.
I'm glad semi tends to bother Poci more than my Acros!

I've had a corallivore in quarantine since November. He eats well, but has had a few disease issues. I have been offering him various corals, leaving small colonies in his tank for a week. Interestingly he, like many corallivores, favours pocci...and hyacinthus :rolleyes:

Good news is he doesn't eat them as vigorously as he did before he was taught to eat various frozen foods. He has also shown no interest in many other acros he has been offered. :thumbsup:

Will this translate to reality in the DT?
Dunno....guess I'll find out in about eight weeks time. The risk is worth it in my mind, so long as the damage done is (hopefully!) not across the board. :deadhorse1:

:wave:
tank shot needed before the corallivore is introduced!

I know some butterflies go for aptasia, but what about BTA? I was thinking of pulling most my corals to another tank and making my main tank a BTA tank.
FWIW... I got rid of my beautiful (search it) multicolor gigantea anemone before going Lepitopteroid (ewwww...sorry about that!)

MIKENY- how good/bad is it with collare?

The Collare isn't bad, alittle nip here and there, but no damage. I fed heavily which I believe helps. So even with other butterflies and a Majestic I'm still able to keep some LPS and zoas too. They don' touch any Euphyilla species either , but clams and large fleshy LPS like Acans, Lobos etc are on the menu.....

For those with experience keeping butterflies in reef tanks, has your experience shown any advantages regarding the order of addition of butterflyfish relative to coral (e.g. is it better to have your corals established long term before adding the butterflies or vice versa, etc.)?

I'm up to page 7 on this thread. Lot's of great info.

Upgrading from a 55 gal FOWLR to a 125 gal, 72" long tank. Fish with some LPS, softies. I have only 1 clown ( I think it's an Ocellaris) and 1 yellow Tang, about 5 in long, in my 55 gal tank.

In the new tank, I already have 3 blue/green chromis, male and female McCosker's Flasher Wrasses, 1 Banggai Cardinalfish (survivor of a bonded pair), and a bonded pair of Banggai Cardinalfish in QT at this time. Also have a bunch of snails for a cleanup crew from reefcleaners.com.

I'm wanting to add a Banded Coral Shrimp and a Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. Had both in the past and had no problems with them being together.

Here's my list of remaining fish to put in new tank.
1-clownfish (from old tank)
1-powder blue tang
1-Yellow Tang (from old tank)
1-Mertensii Butterflyfish (Chaetodon mertensii)
1-Flame Angel

Is there any problem that you see about adding the Mertensii?

Now...back to page 8....

Last edited:
This is a great thread! I was searching for a possible natural predator for majano anemones and chanced upon this thread. It appears saddleback and burgess are known to eat majanos. My LFS happen to have a pair of saddleback and I bought 1 immediately. Now it is in my reef.

c16553268becd0238f201105b9e9b1eb.jpg

However, as usual, the post-purchase anxiety set in... I read here that it doesn't really go for healthy corals so I am ready to take a bet on that. My system is mainly SPS, with some LPS such as sun coral, hammer, duncan, goniopora and chalice. I also have some gorgonian, zoas, mushrooms (which I don't mind some trimming). But my main concern now is I have a rock of Christmas Tree Worms, which is my most treasured piece of inhabitant.

Can anyone advise me what is the likelihood of saddleback eating up my coral and invertebrates, especially the Christmas Tree Worms?

In addition, would a Burgess be a safer alternative?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back