C-SEA January 2014 Meeting Speaker - Matt Pedersen

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
C-SEA Meeting
Friday January 17th, 2014 7:30pm
Cleveland Metro Parks Zoo
Building TBA

Like most C-SEA meetings, this meeting is open to the general public, all are welcome.

C-SEA is excited to annouce our January guest speaker: Matt Pedersen

Matt Pedersen's career as an interactive software developer of 15 years took an interesting twist
in December of 2011, and he is now a Sr. Editor of AMAZONAS and CORAL Magazines, as well as an
Associate Publisher with the parental company, Reef To Rainforest Media, LLC.

Matt has been a marine aquarist for 27 years, and an aquarist for 32+. After spending time on every
side of the aquarium industry (retail, commercial and private maintenance & installation, wholesale,
importing and hatchery work), he currently considers himself a "professional hobbyist" - when pressed,
he would tell you he is not really part of the aquarium industry these days, but part of the publishing
industry!

Most recently, Matt has currently spawned 28 species of marine fish, successfully raising 10 of them
to date including one worldwide first (the Harlequin Filefish, Oxymonacanthus longirostris), as well
as attempted another 6 invertebrate species to date (excluding those that tend to propagate with no
special intervention). Matt's extensive experience with freshwater fish was primarily focused on Rift
Lake Cichlids in the 1990's, but in the last 2 years has focused on the genus Pterophyllum (Angelfish) as
well as Betta species and domesticated forms.

In 2009, Matt was awarded "Aquarist of the Year" honors by both IMAC West and MASNA in recognition of his accomplishments and contributions to the marine aquarium hobby. Matt continues to contribute to the aquarium hobby to this day. His articles have been published in Coral, Koralle, Practical Fish Keeping, Marine Habitat, Reef Hobbyist Magazine, Reefs.com, Advanced Aquarist, Reef Builders, Reef2Rainforest.com, and most recently, Amazonas Magazine.

He is one of several co-authors in well-received book Banggai Cardinalfish published in 2013, the culmination of The Banggai Rescue Project, a project designed to reassess the plight of this enigmatic species both in the wild and the aquarium trade while centralizing all current breeding knowledge for the species.

attachment.php

In 2010, Matt Pedersen was selected as the breeder of choice to work with the now famous "PNG
Lightning Maroon Clownfish" from the SEASMART program, and chronicles the efforts to propagate
this one-of-a-kind fish online at The Lightning Project. This project has realized initial success, with
the successful spawning and rearing of "Lightning" offspring during the summer of 2012 and the first
offspring being released to private individual and public aquarium genetic repositories, and then to the
open market, in 2013.

Matt has spoken at numerous aquarium clubs and events from coast to coast since 2006. He currently
sits on the MBI (Marine Breeding Initiative) Council, a project dedicated to bringing the concept of a
unified Marine Breeder's Award Program to hobbyist organizations across the country and around the
globe.

While still freelancing as a software developer on occasion, he also takes on work as a fly fishing guide.
Matt's diverse background also pulls from experiences as a professional orchid breeder and certified fly
rod builder. Matt is originally from Chicago, IL, but he currently resides in Duluth, Minnesota, with his
very understanding wife, Renee, their young son Ethan and their new daughter Audrey.

Update:

Matt will be presenting Marine Fish Breeding 101 and Breeding the Harlequin Filefish. Two very interesting topics that span the fish breeding difficulty spectrum!

The Christmas party was my first meeting, and it was held in aquatics building. Where do I park, and where do I enter for this meeting.

Park down the hill by the main gate, when walking towards the main doors of the zoo the education building will be on the left

As kreeger said. You don't actually walk through the main gates. You enter the education building from outside the main gate, along the road that runs past the gate.

Sounds good. I'll be the guy walking in circles in the parking lot until I find someone to follow. Jk. It sounds easy enough. See everyone tonight!

Awesome speaker and incredibly knowledgeable. If you missed this meeting, you missed out! Thanks for booking him Nathan!

Awesome speaker and incredibly knowledgeable. If you missed this meeting, you missed out! Thanks for booking him Nathan!

Agreed! I have an itch to breed some marine fish now! I am happy that the club was able to bring him in. Tom did much of the work in communication and arrangements with Matt, so thank you Tom!

Last edited:
Back