Calcium reactor ph

toddmau5

So I'm finally to the point I'm really to turn on the co2 bottle for the reactor but one thing is bugging me. The pH inside the reactor is reading much much lower then the tank already, at 7.1. Is this normal? Is this an issue? Is this something I can fix? The probe is literally brand new and has been calibrated twice now.

So I'm finally to the point I'm really to turn on the co2 bottle for the reactor but one thing is bugging me. The pH inside the reactor is reading much much lower then the tank already, at 7.1. Is this normal? Is this an issue? Is this something I can fix? The probe is literally brand new and has been calibrated twice now.

Yes thats normal.

Correct, I know the pH in the reactor is supposed to be lower, but should it be lower without any co2 going to it?

OK, just wanted to double check, low pH really freaks me out, call it an irrational fear. Just didn't want to make matters worse turning the co2 on

Ph in the reactor is supposed to be 6.5 so the media can break down and flow back to the tank.

It dosnt have to be that low. I run mine at 6.7 -6.9 right now. If u look up randy article he says the media starts to melt at 7.0 if i remember correct but it melts faster as u lower the ph. Never run below 6.5

It dosnt have to be that low. I run mine at 6.7 -6.9 right now. If u look up randy article he says the media starts to melt at 7.0 if i remember correct but it melts faster as u lower the ph. Never run below 6.5

Thats what Im running mine at too. When I run it any lower, it puts out to much. Guess it might depend on how much Alk your tank uses in a day also.

Do you noticed higher production with larger quantities of media? My reactor is only half full.

So in theory, if I test the effluent coming out it should show slightly higher then the tank water? Or possibly not depending on the pH, rate of dissolve and main tank consentration?

If you have a reactor with a dedicated pH probe in the media chamber with a solenoid on the CO2 line, IMO, its better to control the Cal and ALK production by influencing the dissolve rate of the media by controlling the reactor pH and leaving the effluent tube wide open instead of monitoring the effluent drip rate. The tube is small and prone to clogging. As Roger suggested leave the reactor pH high and if its not keeping up with the demand slowly lower the pH within the reactor until the dissolve rate matches the consumption.

If you have a reactor with a dedicated pH probe in the media chamber with a solenoid on the CO2 line, IMO, its better to control the Cal and ALK production by influencing the dissolve rate of the media by controlling the reactor pH and leaving the effluent tube wide open instead of monitoring the effluent drip rate. The tube is small and prone to clogging. As Roger suggested leave the reactor pH high and if its not keeping up with the demand slowly lower the pH within the reactor until the dissolve rate matches the consumption.

This is exactly how I run my calcium reactor

This is pretty much what I was planning on doing. Just wanted to start slow until I see how everything is responding. I'm assuming there will be no more media left when its spent?

This is pretty much what I was planning on doing. Just wanted to start slow until I see how everything is responding. I'm assuming there will be no more media left when its spent?

The media dissolves. It doesn't exhaust like carbon or GFO. I filled my reactor 3/4 of the way 2 years ago and it's only dropped about an inch. I just recently had to refill my 10lb CO2 tank for the first time.

Back