Calcium Reactor Questions

dimasv

Hi guys, I do have some questions to ask for help, as I am not sure if I am running my CR properly.

I have setup calcium reactor reading reviews that its set it and forget it. So I have set it but forget ? I dont think so. I started to feel like dosing system would be better.

I have a dual chamber CR from GEO connected to Milwaukee CO2 regulator. Regulator is garbage, that I understood so planning to upgrade to digital one. But my problem is keeping stable pH in a first chamber. This pH depends on 2 things the amount of CO2 and the water flow regulated with needle valve. SO lets say I do not change CO2, assume it it constant. I noticed that from time to time the flow through needle valve dropping that impacts pH (raises) that ALK drops. I keep about 7.1 pH in a chamber and my water flow is about a very tiny stream (I do not drip as was told dripping will clog so its better to have tiny stream).

So what am I doing wrong ? How do I keep water stream stable ?

are you using a pH controller or apex/reefangel etc.. to control the solenoid off the regulator? If so, a good needle valve off the effluent or intake is a must IME.

I also use the stream method with controller & greenleaf aquariums regulator on a smaller system with the vertex needle valve off the effluent. no issues and alk always solid at 8.3

my valve is like the one in the link. not JG though.

https://www.marinedepot.com/JG_1_4_...NDIvI8ilPnQ8HDFeTBpun8hgYSNGPTOkaAlpwEALw_wcB

thank you for your reply. Yes I use APEX but basically to shut off just in case when pH drops below 7 in the chamber. I also use exactly needle valve like you are.

How strong is your water flow via needle valve ?

Also did u setup your regulator to try to keep pH at one level, or u just let it go a but more and shut it down with APex all the time ?

thank you for your reply. Yes I use APEX but basically to shut off just in case when pH drops below 7 in the chamber. I also use exactly needle valve like you are.

How strong is your water flow via needle valve ?

Also did u setup your regulator to try to keep pH at one level, or u just let it go a but more and shut it down with APex all the time ?

mine is the smallest stream i could get without actually seeing a drip pattern. probably similar to yours.

i used my regulator in conjunction with the slower stream rate to get mine dialed in. My alk holds steady at 8.3 during the day and tests in early a.m. at 8.2.
calcium is right around 420 all the time and I supplement mag rocks in the RX and that holds steady at almost spot on 1300

i initially set my regulator to around 50 bubbles per minute, but my solenoid was triggering too much with the flow i had set.

I lowered everything. i set the stream rate to a minimum and lowered the bubble rate off the regulator to 30 bubbles per minute and that combo holds my alk steady at 8.3 with an internal RX pH of 7.2. that combo has worked well for me and my solenoid rarely trips. i think the key is to get your effluent and bubble count dialed to where your solenoid doesn't trip constantly and it still holds the alk where you want it.

obviously all systems are different but that's what worked for me.

Last edited:
My Milwaukee 'junk' regulator and solenoid has lasted me over 15 years .... so far. I wish all my tank equipment were comparable junk :lol:. Needle valves clog, there's really no way around it. Though not inexpensive, a continuous duty peri pump is a major upgrade.

If the pH climbs when the valve clogs it may be raising pressure in the CaRx and reducing CO2 flow. Increase the pressure on the regulator and it may solve your pH problem at least.

Back