Can anyone ID my new Mantis from this video clip?

StirCrazy

I got a mantis a couple weeks ago and I have not been able to get a good pic of him. what I did get was a video of him taking some krill.

Video

might be easyer to save the file first and then view it.. it is about 2 meg long.

Steve

I could swear you took that video right in front of my tank and that is MY mantis :). Cool video by the way.

pinchey3.jpg

That was frikin awesome! It looks a lot like my mantis as well but mine has blue smashers. Lets see some more video!

I can't ID the animal from this clip. Unfortunately, there is not a single frame where the meral spots are visible. Are they white or yellow. I do think that I can see some shell disease starting on the back of the animal.

Roy

Gonodactylus said:
Unfortunately, there is not a single frame where the meral spots are visible. Are they white or yellow. I do think that I can see some shell disease starting on the back of the animal.

Roy

I will see if I can see the meral spots. what causes shell disease and what does it look like?

Steve

Shell disease starts as small patches of brown discoloration of the cuticle. Eventually it can develop into severe erosion and even holes. We don't know what causes it, but certain species seem more prone to it, particularly in older animals that molt infrequently. O. scyllarus and Gonodactylus ternatensis are particularly prone to this disease. If it has not progressed too far, it often clears up when a molt occurs and the old infected cuticle is shed.

Roy

Ok I just looked at him and he told me in no uncertian terms to leave his cave. If I saw it right the meral spots are white.

Steve

Back