Can anyone identify what these are?

jpg remains a thumbnail---can't quite figure it. If your filaments occur in pairs, there's a little harmless worm that flings those out to feed---you'll see them slowly retract into the rock and then reappear, if that's the case.

There are lots of possibilities. You could look at the id pages on melevsreef.com for some matches. Sigh!

i think i've recently got what you're talking about, and from my research so far they're isopods or copepods, they come on the LR as hitchhikers. they should be nothing to worry about and food for fish later on.

isopods and copepods are bugs... hes talking about worms. there are some snails that also have white strings.

either way, not to worry about... isopods, on the other hand, ARE... your thinking copepods and amphipods.

its SO confusing, I know. you'll get used to it!!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6972384#post6972384 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Swanwillow
isopods and copepods are bugs... hes talking about worms. there are some snails that also have white strings.

either way, not to worry about... isopods, on the other hand, ARE... your thinking copepods and amphipods.

its SO confusing, I know. you'll get used to it!!!

not all Isopods are bad. and not all copepods are good. there are parasidtic species of both :D. neither of which are real common in an aquarium.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

At this point it looks like graveyardworm's link provides the identification. The Serpulid worms appear to be what I have.

Thanks again!

if thats what you have they are harmless filter feeders. most tube worms you will see in the aquarium are. i only say most because there may be some i dont know about :D.

Back