can aquarium store make money??

I started managing lfs in the late 80s in Dallas. Ruined my hobby for the next 15 years. It was no longer fun or special. It is very hard to run a business that is dependent on livestock. Two of the three stores I ran went from somewhat profitable to out of business 6 months after I left. I did do well with an aquarium maintenance business I ran. Need many wealthy customers who are not afraid to pay for service. In Wisconsin where I am now the majority of us are to cheap to pay someone else for something we can do ourselves.

I suggest focusing your energy on a new career and a (or different) degree.

Just my opinion

Seems to be much more profit in selling corals. My ultimate goal is to get some really nice colonies growing steadily and selling frags locally and maybe even moving into shipping and opening my own website. I would love to make enough to recover all my costs for the hobby and make money to buy new corals. If I could make enough to do all that and make a profit on top of that would be icing on the cake.

Instead of trying to start a business (which is very stressful in and of itself) you should just go back to school for a degree you actually are interested in.. Take it from me I have my masters in Economic forecasting and in August I am leaving my current job (which is very well paid) to go back for a degree in biology. why? because I am not happy with my job what so ever.. sure it allows me to live comfortably, but it does not allow me to live happily and in my opinion the latter is more important. Sure I will probably be struggling financially for a while but the outcome will land me a career of which i will go into work everyday with a smile on my face.. you know what they say.. if you love your job and are excited to go to it everyday than you really don't ever work. I loath going to work everyday right now and that is no way to live life!

so I guess the message here is that you are never too old to go after your dreams.. people sit around all day complaining about how they hate their jobs and this that and the other.. but no one ever does anything about it.. but I am doing something about it.. sure its scary but no one ever said this road called life would be freshly paved everywhere you go..

What about an online shop? Less startup than a storefront. It may take longer to get your name out there though.

An online would probably be cheaper but gosh shipping would be a pain in the A. IMO. Its simple shipping 1 or two items but to make a good income you would have to be shipping a ton :eek2:

Another thing I thought I should bring up is that in my opinion you really need to dislike aquatic life to make it big in the LFS trade. Think about it, if you really love fish, would you be able to sell hippo tang to a guy with a cycling 10 gallon tank? I you don't sell him the fish your going to lose money as a business but if you do sell him the fish. then you really aren't a reef lover. because no sane reefer would allow a person to buy a tang for a 10g.

More money to be made setting up and keeping up customer tanks. Setting up a store not so much.

No truer words have ever been spoken...the odds of success are very much against you unless you got about 200-300K and a pretty good amount of luck and fortune to put on the line for the next year or two at least!

Start up is very costly, very labor intensive and it will likely be a while before you can get profitable enough to keep the business out of the red. Its a very competitive market and one that has a very tight profit margin. If you have never dealt with Distributors before, your gonna be in for a very rude awakening of just how things work.

Its possible and there are few things in life I like seeing more than someone chase their passion and dreams. There are new businesses breaking into the markets every day. Just make sure you know what your getting into and have a rock solid business model to follow or your very likely to be disappointed.

I honestly had no idea just how difficult an under taking this was until a Buddy of mine, Nathan went from being a garage week end retailer to a store front retailer in Seattle. I cant tell you how much money he spent, loans he took out, Hours I worked for free while he established himself in the market before he actually made enough to pay himself minimum wage by the Nations Standards much less met Washington States minimum wage standards. From what I saw your bread and butter was Tank Services and livestock, moving lots a live stock. There was precious little to be made on dry goods!!! Also there are some other hidden expenses...most distributors want a faxed copy of your business license, fax of your Tax exempt credentials, picture of your store front and a copy of your add in the yellow pages before they would even talk to us to prove he had a legit store front. Then there was all the red tape with Code enforcement, Building inspectors, Fire Marshall inspections, Osha....the list goes on...to deal with in the middle of all this just to get your front door open, legally!

That was just my 2 year experience into this line of work, hopefully your experience will be easier. But do believe me when I tell you there is more to it than meets the eye. I have mad respect for anyone who can open a mom and pop store, start from the ground up and break even much less succeed at it!

An online would probably be cheaper but gosh shipping would be a pain in the A. IMO. Its simple shipping 1 or two items but to make a good income you would have to be shipping a ton :eek2:

Another thing I thought I should bring up is that in my opinion you really need to dislike aquatic life to make it big in the LFS trade. Think about it, if you really love fish, would you be able to sell hippo tang to a guy with a cycling 10 gallon tank? I you don't sell him the fish your going to lose money as a business but if you do sell him the fish. then you really aren't a reef lover. because no sane reefer would allow a person to buy a tang for a 10g.

Right on, right on!!!

Yes shipping is a killer in most cases!!!

That last paragraph....you have no idea how often we dealt with just that issue alone. We lost out on a sale opportunity, and our competitors gained another sale, because we had a morale compass, more times than I can remember. Its a real delima for sure!

Avoid brick and mortar businesses in areas with high commercial leases. I fear that is a dying model and not a good time to enter it.

Find the absolute lowest overhead you can, and focus on selling online. Unless you plan to spend most of your time servicing other peoples tanks, or charge obscene prices, I think that is the only way to make money on this.

Some good advice... but this thread is about 5 yrs old and the OP hasn't been on RC for the last 3 years!

Some good advice... but this thread is about 5 yrs old and the OP hasn't been on RC for the last 3 years!

True that but does it make the replies to it any less relevant to the Post/Question made?

If I am doing a search for past post of a like nature do I only want to see 5 year old info or do I want to see if maybe there have been changes and new information available since the original post? Or would you rather see that same question posted about every 3-4 months?

Just curious what your thoughts are...

Woah, I didn't know this was 5 years old...

I'm not sure an aquarium store can make a lot of money unless it's an online store. All of us saw how COVID-19 influenced the world, and it's still going on. I have a lot of friends who stopped going to pet stores, and they get everything online.
It's easy to do it, and you already know what you need. Having it delivered to your home is a better option.
The world has changed in the last five years, but there are many ways to earn money. You can check out yourmoneygeek.com to learn how to make and save money in these challenging times.

Back