can I add an anemone in a 3 month old tank?

1sttimer

Wondering if it's too early to add one. And if I do, do I get a big one or a small one? Say about 1.5" in dia.

There are lots of questions and parameters to take into affect...

Let me ask a few questions first.

Tank Size:
Lighting type and time:
Temp:
SG:
pH:
Phosphates:
Nitrates:
Inhabitants:
Other items in tank (non fish):
Frequency of testing:
Power heads: (covered?)
Type you are looking to get:

I hope the answer is yes because I just did.

Biocube 32 with stock lighting.
MP-10 along with stock return.
Temp: 78
Salinity 1.025-.026
Phos: 0.125
Nitrates: <5ppm
Clown pair, six line wraise, three turbo snails.
Singapore angel in QT, working on good eating habits, pellets and nora not my coral.

I just put a gorgeous, speckled BTA it looks extremely happy after the first 4 hours.

/Users/Mark/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/resources/proxies/derivatives/36/00/3657/UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3657.jpg

My first attempt at uploading the photo obviously didn't work.

e1d6e105215b408b11f70af4c5b7bcd9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it does look happy.

The reason I asked all those questions was more to get a feel on your history with anemones in general and get a snapshot on the tank.

While you can do it, it is recommended to wait 6 months. Let the tank get seasoned and ready.

Looks good though.

I'm not the OP but my tank has been super stable for a month or so with only the calcium slightly dropping so after talking with the lfs guys I decided to go for it. Plus my wife wanted it so, well happy wife...

I think it would be best to buy a clone from another reefer in your area. This way you will get a healthy anemone that is acclimated to a tank life. Often the ones at a fish store are stressed from tank transfers and shipping.

The percentage of people that try under 6 months is much higher FAILURE than those that have had their tanks up and running and already been through the hic-ups of new tank life.

Then again there are some people that never have a single hic-up from cycle to end of tank.

Good husbandry, maintaining tank parameters, and patience wins hands down.

Personally I would much rather wait a bit longer and have success than kill a $xxx anemone and livestock because I 'forgot' to turn of a doser I installed yesterday.

Your little BTA... I would not worry about it killing things, unless something swims into it, that does not belong.

Follow table 1 in this:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

Read the whole article though. There are some items that only affect coarls in that list also, but table 1 is a good start.

Its recommended to wait 6months or longer, but i think if your tank is stable and you have good lighting, you will probably be fine. I would get atleast a medium size bta.

What did you decide?

Mine is looking good. It hid for about a week but now is perched on the top rock right in front of the MP10.

963442388aff65d5880dea198696f5a0.jpg

The percentage of people that try under 6 months is much higher FAILURE than those that have had their tanks up and running and already been through the hic-ups of new tank life.

Then again there are some people that never have a single hic-up from cycle to end of tank.

Good husbandry, maintaining tank parameters, and patience wins hands down.

Personally I would much rather wait a bit longer and have success than kill a $xxx anemone and livestock because I 'forgot' to turn of a doser I installed yesterday.

Totally agree
My tank is about 2 months new, and I even used established and cooked live rock, yet I'm forcing myself to be patient and wait before adding a mag, it's not easy being patient sometimes.

the 6 month recommendation is just as much about letting the tank mature, as it is letting a newer reef keeper hone their husbandry skills. Good idea to wait

Gorgeous nem. Just keep good water chemistries & changes & there's no reason it won't grow & thrive. I'd be more concerned w/ having a Singapore angel in a 32 gal tank. Those require much more room; at least a 120 gallon tank.

Very nice nem!! I've put BTAs in newer systems, but have always tried to start with LR and BB so there's less cycle time and issues. Good luck!

Back