Canopy design ideas?

Jgoal55

Getting started soon on the carpentry for the new set up in the new house. I would like to custom design a canopy for the tank which is 8ft long x 2ft deep.

No, im not going rimless for various reasons, but primarily because wife doesn't like it so that's that. Lol

My main considerations for canopy design are:
1) easy feeding
2) easy maintenance & access
3) removable (tied to number 2)

Number 1 is easy with any folding lid or access door(s). 2 & 3 present more complications. Primarily, it will be a "œheavy" and bulky canopy just by virtue of size.

So, I'm wondering what the best way to make a canopy removable is? Maybe build it in two parts (halved lengthwise)??? So essentially, when removing, you are taking off two columns.

FYI...The aquarium is going against a wall so I can't really use any sort of rail system. And I don't want cables hanging from roof so no auto-lift system either.

Anyway, open to any and all suggestions/ideas on what you've all seen or done.

Stop by Aquarium King off State road 84 in Lauderdale....Sean builds some nice tanks and stands....take a look at the ones he has built for some inspiration!

How many braces on the top pf the aquarium?
How much room above the tank to open the lid/s?

Splitting the folding lids as you mentioned will be the best way to go, for weight purposes as well as making it easy to access specific areas of the tank.

Stop by Aquarium King off State road 84 in Lauderdale....Sean builds some nice tanks and stands....take a look at the ones he has built for some inspiration!

Thanks for the heads up. I'll swing by next time I'm up in FLL.

How many braces on the top pf the aquarium?
How much room above the tank to open the lid/s?

Splitting the folding lids as you mentioned will be the best way to go, for weight purposes as well as making it easy to access specific areas of the tank.

No braces at all on top of aquarium.

I've got plenty of space to open canopy so not too concerned from that end.

Yeah, more i think about it, I like the splitting idea. Have you ever seen one like that?

Hi. Sorry for late reply here. Yes, thanks for the image. Sometimes simple is the best way. Yes, I am using canopy to block light/glare as the aquarium is in my office and next to a TV.

Back