carpet anemone ID ?

_shorty_

I don't have a pic to post yet, but wondering how good you guys are.. :)

There's a carpet anemone at the LFS that's has about 4-5" diameter disk a relatively large foot at least 2.5" diameter, its color is bleached a bit (looks a pale yellow - they do not have good lighting at the LFS), but it's mouth is tightly closed, and he moves around and appears healthy (other than the color and very retracted tentacles. Many look fairly transparent). The underside is a tan/skin color with small reddish/magenta spots/dashes on the underside of the disk and all the way down the column/foot. Live aquaria lists Stichodactyla haddoni as having no under-spots. It also lists Stichodactyla gigantean as having spots underneath that stop at the column. This one has spots that go all the way down the column. Any thoughts? I'll try to post a pic tonight.

Thanks guys. Will do. I'll try to post one tonight.

So far - based on some pics I was able to dig up online, the S. Mertensii is a definite possibility as it has similar spots on the foot. I couldn't find any good pics with spots on the foot of S. Helianthus.

wow... These things can get as big as 3.3' diameter. I'm assuming they typically fold up though, and take up less room than that? How much space should be given one of these guys? My tank allows for a 32" x 52" footprint, but I'm not sure I want something that'll eat up over 1/4 of my tank footprint... Although I'm sure it'd be beautiful.

They can be really big, and tend to lie relatively flat, like an oval pizza. Definitely not as folded as a gigantea.

Pics!

Pics!

Okay, here are some pics. Before, when I saw him, his column was extended a few inches and his disk was flat. Today he was sucked in more and folded up, so his disk today probably only measured ~3" if that. I hate to see something waste away at a LFS!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 0
See the foot in this one. I guess the foot is more pink than I remembered...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I was thinking a bleached pizza nem too, but I don't remember the foot looking like that.

Here are a few pictures of thecolumn of Crypptodendrum adhaesivum. I guess it can really be variable.

crypptodendrum_adhaesivum.jpg

1689146893_cc0f222338_o.300a.jpg

090330smklks03m3.jpg

Yup, Pizza amenome. Big shipment came into the wholesalers a couple weeks ago.

They are very aggressive feeders and only clarki clowns (maybe tomatoes)will accept them as hosts. Not a good mixed reef inhabitant.

Thanks all! I appreciate the help. His mouth has a hint of a pretty bright yellow... So thinking she may have some good yellow color once she's healthy!?

Yup, Pizza amenome. Big shipment came into the wholesalers a couple weeks ago.

They are very aggressive feeders and only clarki clowns (maybe tomatoes)will accept them as hosts. Not a good mixed reef inhabitant.

Are they any different than other large carpet nems? Most are fairly aggressive, but many keep them in mixed reefs.

help me decide...

help me decide...

anyone? - are the pizza nems any more aggressive than other large carpent nems? I understand there is a risk, and a ton of testimonies both ways about successful mixed reefs vs non-successful (aka several fish eaten, corals killed, crabs and frags eaten etc. eaten).

In addition - I've read two different max sizes for these guys. One was 12" max, and the other 36" max.

My tank has a footprint of 32" x 53", and is 17" tall. Seems that most of the success stories shared the fact that they were larger tanks, they had moon lights, and some try to give the nems pre-planned footings that TRY to make them comfortable where they want them. (I know this is never a for sure thing, but I've done it before with bubble tips)

Someone please talk me out of this before 4pm central today... lol..

Last edited:
As with any carpet, be prepared to lose a fish or two here and there. Also, unlike haddonis, because the pizza nem is a rock dweller, there is a risk that it will move and sting corals, etc. on the rockwork, and with a sting that potent they can do serious damage quickly. I wouldn't be too worried about the size. If you do not target feed, it will likely grow very slowly if at all.

They are more aggressive than haddonii. They have an even stronger sting and can even eat some of the weaker clowns (i.e.. ocellaris, percula, Skunks)

Back