Caught a wierd creature at the beach

Those aren't sand fleas. Sand fleas are little gnats that bite the hell out of you. When I went to Sanibel a few years ago, I saw sand fleas everywhere, and they are nasty little bugs. By all means, take all the sand fleas you can. Seeing as they are bugs, probably not reef safe.

Sorry, had to make a bad joke. That's what I'm good at.

This goes along with the typical, "Theyre just ugly sand fleas...they're everywhere. So who cares?"

Life is life and being in this hobby warrants a level of responsibility that many aren't aware of yet. We are here to help, and part of that help is trying to get people to understand the importance of research first and acquire later. I thought this was a pretty well known methodology by now. I dont think people are mean or rude by providing constructive criticism. :) After all , that is how we learn.

Luis

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6936754#post6936754 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by robb_brennan
LOL, its just a few sand fleas!!! They call em fleas because there all over the place. When they spawn the female's clutch has hundreds of eggs. Birds eat em, fish eat em, kids catch em all the time. No need to beat someone up for it.

BTW the only reason they wouldn't work in a reef tank is because they eat microorganisms and planktonic like creatures we dont support in our systems. That and you would never see them, they pretty buch stay burried with only their proboscus (however its spelled) sticking out of the sand.

Hey Waterfaller - no offense taken - don't sweat it :D

On the one hand I don't think this is too big of a deal, but on the other hand, I'm not in the habit of bringing wild things home and killing them. Funny thing is, the whole reason I was at the beach was to return some green striped hermits to the ocean. I got them with my first batch of LR back on 12/3/05 and have been babysitting them for all this time in order to return them to the ocean! I'll be the first to admit it would have been a better idea to get a good look at the sand fleas and leave them back there. Then a quick post here probably would have told me everything I needed to know without bringing one back. But it's done now. So just a lesson for next time.

PEACE everyone -

Randy

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6945802#post6945802 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rdmpe
Hey Waterfaller - no offense taken - don't sweat it :D

On the one hand I don't think this is too big of a deal, but on the other hand, I'm not in the habit of bringing wild things home and killing them. Funny thing is, the whole reason I was at the beach was to return some green striped hermits to the ocean. I got them with my first batch of LR back on 12/3/05 and have been babysitting them for all this time in order to return them to the ocean! I'll be the first to admit it would have been a better idea to get a good look at the sand fleas and leave them back there. Then a quick post here probably would have told me everything I needed to know without bringing one back. But it's done now. So just a lesson for next time.

PEACE everyone -

Randy

If the green stripes were a good reason to go to the beach it sounds like you have another excuse to go back.

Bring your sun tan lotion and enjoy the great weather!

Perhaps you could play the theme from "Born Free" when you let them go :))

Paul

I kill them all the time when I go fishing. I am pretty sure they die when you hook them. So who cares. Take 10 home if you want to and step on them. I dont care. Do you not kill a mosquito when it bites you? Do you not kill a fly that is in your house? They are way down at the bottom on the food chain. And guess whos at the top? Me.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6946666#post6946666 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DaveG99
I kill them all the time when I go fishing. I am pretty sure they die when you hook them. So who cares. Take 10 home if you want to and step on them. I dont care. Do you not kill a mosquito when it bites you? Do you not kill a fly that is in your house? They are way down at the bottom on the food chain. And guess whos at the top? Me.

Nice.

:rolleyes:

Back