Cheap Lighting for reef tank

Reeftank203

I'm not new to the hobby but I don't have much saltwater experience. I used to have a bunch of tanks(mainly freshwater and one small saltwater). I'm getting back in he hobby now and and getting one freshwater and one saltwater tank. For the saltwater I can't go to big. I was thinking ethier a 54 gallon corner tank that I already own(came free with the 180 I got on Cregslist that I'm using for freshwater), a 40 breeder, or a 45 gallon(36x13x24). He reason I'm considering the 40 breeder is beacause it's shallow and I could probably get away with cheaper lights on it(I'm on a tight budget) the reason I'm considering the 45 gallon tall is beacause it looks good asteticly. The reason I'm considering the 54 gallon is beacause I already own it and would save me money and it has a nice deep look to it. Lighting is my biggest concern beacause I want corals. I was thinking about this light(I know its not the best lift but I just want some hardy low light corals) http://m.drsfostersmith.com/product...d=PLA_G_6194&gclid=CNS8z_WSxNACFUtWDQodLtEMAw would this led work on the taller 54 gallon corner tank or the 45 tall for low light corals if I put them higher up on the live rock structures? If not would it be suffice lighting for the more shallow 40 breeder? If not what are some lights that around this price range or cheaper that could grow corals? Also for the protein skimmer I saw this 30 dollar one rated for 150 gallons in eBay, i know the sun sun canisters are pretty good and there an off brand so maybe this portion skimmer is the same way??? http://m.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Prot...%3A9c09828d1580a6a8eb9a4037ffec5f0f%7Ciid%3A3 if not what are some protein skimmers that would suffice that are inexpensive? And I'm not sure if I want to do a sump or not. Id rather not drill my tank so if I did do a sump I would use one of those hob things that allow you to use a sump with no drilling. But is a sump really necessary for a tank this size? Could I just use a canister or large hob with the live rock acting as biological filtration?

Fish don't care about the light, ditto most inverts. CORALS have lighting requirements. Soft coral takes lower light, and does NOT require calcium supplementation. Ask before buying. Soft coral can also get along without a skimmer for quite a while. Put your funds on the lights and set a 'for skimmer' piggy bank near the closet: empty pockets of change. ;)
Go for the 54, honestly: the deeper the tank, the better lighting it requires for corals. But yes, set the corals atop the rockwork if you have weaker light. For lights you can use T5 fluorescents, which are a lot cheaper, I think, than any proper LED, which can run you hundreds even for one that won't work well for corals.

Thanks for the advice, and I know the fish don't need a special light I was asking beacause j wanted corals lol. And do you have any links to a florescent t5 that'd capable of handling basic corals in my price range?

And i was thinking I would probably do soft corals anyway beacause they look coral and I read somewhere they they were hardier.

You make some assumptions that make me question your experience. Let me ask you this, what is it that you think expensive LEDs have that cheaper ones don't?

Good advices .I think these days LEDS are a bit cheaper than the T5 especially if the lamp is diy made.But i think to get T5 ho is best advice as i think these give the best light suitable for even the most sensitive corals like acropora.

You make some assumptions that make me question your experience. Let me ask you this, what is it that you think expensive LEDs have that cheaper ones don't?

I do have a bit of freshwater experience but hardly any saltwater experience (had a small reef tank 3 or 4 years ago with live rock and a few small corals)I'm not expert on saltwater lighting, but for he most part more expensive lights would have more wattage and have the ability to keep corals alive in deeper tanks.

I was referring to Sk8r's comments. For some reason I couldn't see the OP when I posted earlier. Some odd bug. Anyway, my point was specifically on spending more or less on the same technology. My first tank I spent too much on T5, then I used cheap MH with T5, and now cheap LED. They all worked. Everything is getting cheaper and you do get something for spending more, but I've never seen anything to suggest that ever means healthier livestock.

I've got t5 fluorescent and even tho it doesn't bring out the best color till I turn on the moonlight, my monti, pocillopora, and candy cane have grown really well in my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 40 breeder will be easier to light, top to bottom. And I like it because it is easy to reach anywhere in the tank.
The lights you have selected should work for low to medium coral light demand, with potential high areas, depending on your rock.
I put this on my 40b: http://m.ebay.com/itm/281854916408
I like it, but you have to go with what you are comfortable with.
I'm no help with the skimmer, I'm still not using one. I was thinking about this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C...id=1480172514&sr=8-6&keywords=protein+skimmer

The best and least expensive lights I have ever bought are simple T5s. The Odyssea fixtures sold on eBay come with a full set of lights. I give the actual bulbs a B, but for as little as 6 bucks each, not terrible. I prefer to replace them with ATI bulbs, but for just general lighting and soft corals the stock lights with the fixtures work well enough. And when you buy the fixture the bulbs are basically free.

I don't have expensive lights by any stretch but to Mad reefer's point, my $100 Mars Aqua LEDs are FAR brighter and have a much greater range of colors than my cheapo $40 LED light that I got awhile back. I think it's worth spending $100 vs $40-50 but that's just me. I think there are some variances in terms of watts, colors etc, depending on price range but on the other hand, I'm not spending $700 on lights either! I think if you are happy to stick with softies and maybe some adaptable LPS there is no reason to go nuts on lights. More expensive lights will give you greater options to expand what corals you keep down the road, and you might have better product support from some of the "name brand" more expensive companies, but you have to decide where you're going to spend your dollars.

Back