check these out apollo reef led's

dublo8

I came across a new banner ad on RC and found these LED fixtures. I thought they looked pretty good and build quality looks great. they are not using CREE's but another 3w led. However, even though CREE is one of the LED manufacturers that's leading the way as far as lumens per watt goes, we shouldn't rule out other manufactures just yet. Either way, fixtures look great and the price is very very nice. Just thought I would share my find.

http://reefledlights.com/apollo-reef-led-lights/

I will not be trying them unfortunately. I'm sticking with my halides for a while. I like LED's but I'm not a fan of the whole blue look. I prefer more purple, closer to the 420nm spectrum. I know ecoxotic came out recently with a magenta that looks freaking awesome. skip hooked one up for me at reef culture last week and it blew my mind. I don't think spending a whole ton of money on pano strips to light my tank is a smart $$ decision. Now if I can do 2 royal blue, 1 magenta and 1 xpg cool white in my DIY LED mix I would be in heaven. Unfortunately nobody makes an LED in that color range that would put out the par/lumens that us reefers are looking for. When CREE or another manufacturer comes out with an individual LED in that color i'll be on the bandwagon.

Looks like another china-box special. Cheap enough to buy a fire extinguisher to keep near it.

And you never know CREE is a big company. Maybe one day they will make LEDs for aquariums and do aquarium related research to tune them into the spectrum and intensity that they need to be. Until then it's mix and match to come close enough.

I gotta say that I'm not really a fan either and I am all about LEDs. Unless I missed something, the LEDs are not dimmable? And they do not come with any type of controller? Lastly who wants an led system where you have to pick a certain colour preference? LEDs are fantastic because your able to decide what colour you prefer by dimming the blues or the whites.

I really like the LED lighting that is coming out, and believe that the DIY kits from RapidLED are probably your best bet. However, I still believe that the pricing in general is really excessive. The tech is still very new. Give it a few more years and I am sure the lighting will be 10X better & at least 30% cheaper.

Im not a tight wad by any means but I as well think LED is an expensive tech that needs to start dropping prices. If I can get some small LEDs from radio shack for 10 cents than what is keeping these LED's in the $5-6 range? I'm sorry but I'm not buying the R&D line of BS. a descent name brand 250w MH cost roughly $75 but LEDs cost 4-5 times more for the same amount of light. I understand the pricing on AI units and such but just individual LEDs is $$$

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the same with all new tech. It's always super expensive when it first enters the market.
Like my a DVD play was $600. Or a plasma TV was $10k. Now you can by a Blue ray player for $80 & a 60" 1080I LED TV for $1,500. Like I mentioned before. Just wait a few more years & if the light fixtures will be 10X better with way more lighting options, and the prices will drop at min of 30%

To add onto my last comment, we haven't even seen the longevity of the LED lighting. I know LEDs are suppose to have something like 100K light hours, but I haven't seen a LED fixture's performance & condition after 3 - 5 years of hanging over a reef tank.

I know your right, maybe I'm just flapping my lips. I do wish I had LEDs but I also wish they would go a little more mainstream. They have an opportunity to be completely modular as well, allowing people to replace individual LEDs with color options similar to T5's. Now that would be slick. Ecoxotic Seems like they're getting there. Now if ecoxotic and AI teamed up they would be an unstoppable force in the aquarium market!

---

I know your right, maybe I'm just flapping my lips. I do wish I had LEDs but I also wish they would go a little more mainstream. They have an opportunity to be completely modular as well, allowing people to replace individual LEDs with color options similar to T5's. Now that would be slick. Ecoxotic Seems like they're getting there. Now if ecoxotic and AI teamed up they would be an unstoppable force in the aquarium market!

---

A replaceable LED component would be cool, but LEDs are the true dawn of disposable lighting. Like a cell phone, by the time it breaks it will be cheaper and easier to buy the new and improved model.

Im not a tight wad by any means but I as well think LED is an expensive tech that needs to start dropping prices. If I can get some small LEDs from radio shack for 10 cents than what is keeping these LED's in the $5-6 range? I'm sorry but I'm not buying the R&D line of BS. a descent name brand 250w MH cost roughly $75 but LEDs cost 4-5 times more for the same amount of light. I understand the pricing on AI units and such but just individual LEDs is $$$

---

I tried the chapest ones from radioshack as moonlights but the light was barely enough to illuminate the diode. I had to buy the $4 LEDs in order for it to work. I have no idea why the price jumps up so much.

A replaceable LED component would be cool, but LEDs are the true dawn of disposable lighting. Like a cell phone, by the time it breaks it will be cheaper and easier to buy the new and improved model.

From their site:
Unlike other cheaper fixtures this board was designed to allow for a single LED to fail without loosing a whole row. In this unlikely event the LED can be easily replaced

Sorry but I forgot to mention that it's extremely beneficial to be able to reduce your par(IMO). Not every tank requires the same lighting needs. Also what if you plan on just keeping soft corals, no problem with LEDs just turn down the intensity. A few months pass and now your ready for sps, no problem just a turn of the knob and the leds are ramped up and ready to sustain sps. Just my .02, sorry for the ramble.

Sorry but I forgot to mention that it's extremely beneficial to be able to reduce your par(IMO). Not every tank requires the same lighting needs. Also what if you plan on just keeping soft corals, no problem with LEDs just turn down the intensity. A few months pass and now your ready for sps, no problem just a turn of the knob and the leds are ramped up and ready to sustain sps. Just my .02, sorry for the ramble.

What type of LEDs do you have? They sound pretty awesome. Pics?

I was looking at Apollo Fixture too, they have a 12K 15K and 20k. Do the 15K has more pars than 20k LED fixture, 20k too Blue!

From their site:
Unlike other cheaper fixtures this board was designed to allow for a single LED to fail without loosing a whole row. In this unlikely event the LED can be easily replaced

Easily be replaces by reefers like some of us maybe. Not the other 98% of reefers in the community. Some have a difficult time replace a T5 lamp with out destroying the fixture. Removing a LED to off a board and soldering a new one on is beyond the average persons skill.

Back