Chinese LED Lights

I got my lights in today. The IT2040 is an awesome fixture. I will be posing some pics as well as a some videos since I was able to adjust my camera very close to the correct white balance.

scott v, how does the color output look when both channels are on at 100%. any spot lighting of the red or green? pics would be great too.

DSCN5542_zpsc16bae43.jpg

Using my layout this is the look of the tank at blues 50% and whites about 40% on the IT2040.

at a 2.5:1 ratio of blue:white the fixture is really closer to a 12-14k at 100%.

Thats a great pic.

At only 14" deep, you might be better off removing the optics. It will reduce the disco effect a bit. They twist off easily, and are just as easy to put back on if you don't like it without them.

I just received the evergrow Christmas Special. Light looks good but I was kinda bummed with the hanging kit. The kit comes with four cables which are two feet long. Can't hang them unless using a fixture mounted to the tank. Not that big of a deal but now I have to order a hanging kit before I can use the light. More just a heads up for anyone ordering the lights from China.

There are two types. The more expensive light comes with the premium hanging kit that is adjustable. The D120s have a standard kit that isn't really much.

Thats a great pic.

At only 14" deep, you might be better off removing the optics. It will reduce the disco effect a bit. They twist off easily, and are just as easy to put back on if you don't like it without them.

I raised my fixture to 11" from the surface so it has less if an effect now, im still playing with it

Just a thought, do we really need to have red LEDs in our layout if we use, and I forget which is more red (cool,warm,neutral white) if we use a few of the red tinted, white LEDs? Wouldn't those provide enough of the red spectrum?

scott v, how does the color output look when both channels are on at 100%. any spot lighting of the red or green? pics would be great too.

It is hard for me to say right now as I can't set it up because of the lack of a hanging kit. I plugged it in and held it above my tank and the color was good. I think I would of preferred a little more blue with both at 100 % but it is dimmable so I'm sure I can find a color combo that works. My fish hid when I cranked it all the way up so I probably wouldn't run it there anyway. I did not notice any spot lighting of the red and green.

My wife tried to take a couple pics but they did not turn out great. I will have to play with the camera once the light is up and find the right setting. What setting are others taking pictures of their tanks with when using DSLR?

Just a thought, do we really need to have red LEDs in our layout if we use, and I forget which is more red (cool,warm,neutral white) if we use a few of the red tinted, white LEDs? Wouldn't those provide enough of the red spectrum?

The neutral and warm whites do provide red, but drop off in intensity nearing 660nm, which is a photosynthetic peak which could be useful. The cool whites provide very little red. NW and WW have a more evenly distributed spectrum, where Cool Whites are mostly around 450nm blue. The extra spectrum, while most likely not all that beneficial to coral, does provide better color rendition.

You could use NW and some WW, and not use red leds. Personally, i still like having a few 660nm leds as well. It colors up fish and shrimp nicely. If you look at the photo above, the glow of the clownfish is a prime example of what it can do to fish colors.

I just received the evergrow Christmas Special. Light looks good but I was kinda bummed with the hanging kit. The kit comes with four cables which are two feet long. Can't hang them unless using a fixture mounted to the tank. Not that big of a deal but now I have to order a hanging kit before I can use the light. More just a heads up for anyone ordering the lights from China.

Scott, when I asked about the D120 and the IT2080 from Evergrow, they made it very clear to me about the differences in the hanging kits (they even sent pictures) and that they had just started using powercords that 90 off the light plug rather than sticking straight up in the air.

It is hard for me to say right now as I can't set it up because of the lack of a hanging kit. I plugged it in and held it above my tank and the color was good. I think I would of preferred a little more blue with both at 100 % but it is dimmable so I'm sure I can find a color combo that works. My fish hid when I cranked it all the way up so I probably wouldn't run it there anyway. I did not notice any spot lighting of the red and green.

My wife tried to take a couple pics but they did not turn out great. I will have to play with the camera once the light is up and find the right setting. What setting are others taking pictures of their tanks with when using DSLR?

scott, thanks for the feedback. is the color at 100% similar to 10k MH? sorry i can't help with advice on taking photos.

Bummed thought I was getting my Reef Breeders fixture before Christmas...Logan just informed me it isnt going to happen. Ill just try and be patient I guess....just saying

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on one of the IT2040 lights. It is for a Current Cardiff aquarium that I will be starting in the coming days. I will continue to go through the dozens of pages to find a recommended layout. I want this to be able to make the colors pop, not have an over saturated blue look, and be able to have good growth.

If you have a template you can link me to or send a PM, that would be great too. Also, which size would be best 18" or 24"?

Thank you

Last edited:
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on one of the IT2040 lights. It is for a Current Cardiff aquarium that I will be starting in the coming days. I will continue to go through the dozens of pages to find a recommended layout. I want this to be able to make the colors pop, not have an over saturated blue look, and be able to have good growth.

If you have a template you can link me to or send a PM, that would be great too. Also, which size would be best 18" or 24"?

Thank you

I'll PM you a few of the layouts from our group buy if you want?

As for the IT2040 or IT2060... I'd ask what size is your tank. Telling me it's a "Current Cardiff" doesn't mean anything to me.

I just ordered (2) Evergrow D120s and was wondering how high I should hang the lights and if I should remove the optics. Tank is pretty shallow at 48x16x16. I am also making another DIY canopy since my old one catered to my t5s. Thanks in advance!

20" x 20" x 20" Bow front/bullet shaped

Why would you want a 24" light when your tank is only 20" x 20" x 20"? I think the 18" will work fine and you may even try taking off some of the 90 degree lenses to spread some of the light around. At 20" deep and trying to cover a 20" x 20" tank, you may want to play with coverage vs PAR at the sand. Lenses and who high off the water you hang it will both be serious considerations. Good luck.

My bad, I was thinking of my old led light. As best I can remember the EG lights are:
The IT2040 is about 15.75" long
The D120 (no controller but 2 dimmers) is 15.75"
The IT2060 is 23.5"
The IT2080 is 31.5"

You can use the model number and the name evergrow and all the specs for each light will come up.

Back