Chinese LED Lights

cmac23

Not sure what happened in the other thread, but there was good information. Like to keep it going

I think that the Moderators let their personal interests get in the way. Been following this for awhile and have learned a great deal from it. We owe a great deal to bhazard451 for the wealth of information that he has provided us. I purchased a Nova A4 to put over my 60G cube, and couldn't be happier. I chose my own color combination which looks ok, but could use room for improvement. I also have the Cree Aqua Pro 150w, over my 180G and have had phenomenal growth with my sps, but am not happy with the 1 to 1 RB/CW combo. Lets try and keep this on top so everybody else can find and benefit from this thread!

180G Mixed Reef, 90G In Wall Reef, 60G Cube Seahorse Tank, 55G Refugium, 125G Basement Sump with ETSS Skimmer, Dosing Pumps, GFO Reactor

Last edited:
I think that the Moderators let their personal interests get in the way. Been following this for awhile and have learned a great deal from it. We owe a great deal to bhazard451 for the wealth of information that he has provided us. I purchased a Nova A4 to put over my 60G cube, and couldn't be happier. I chose my own color combination which looks ok, but could use room for improvement. I also have the Cree Aqua Pro 150w, over my 180G and have had phenomenal growth with my sps, but am not happy with the 1 to 1 RB/CW combo. Lets try and keep this on top so everybody else can find and benefit from this thread!

Wrong. People continued to try and turn it into a group buy despite multiple warnings. This is not a selling forum. Creative wording, and linking is not allowed either. The company it's self has asked people to post info here. That's considered shilling.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Layout suggested by the engineers.

Is like the Reefbreders.

I made also a mod of Razor 16k for the IT2040 but i'm not sure about the color distribution.

To mimic perfectly the razor we need to swap the channels like this:

Channel D3 (24 leds Whites)

8 RB
8 8k
8 3k

Channel D2 (28 leds blue)

8 420
12 470
8 RB

Moonlight 3 Rb

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Did the other thread really get deleted? All that useful info? If so that is completely bogus.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Don't penalize those of us who have been using this the right way, by removing useful info which for the better of the hobby's advancement. There was a wealth of info and because of a small handful of rogue individuals it is no longer available? I think there were probably better ways to take care of the issue than remove a ton of people's useful work/time/effort. Please bring it back, because this just seems like a lazy way out when it may be one of the most useful threads on RC.

180G Mixed Reef, 90G In Wall Reef, 60G Cube Seahorse Tank, 55G Refugium, 125G Basement Sump with ETSS Skimmer, Dosing Pumps, GFO Reactor

As long as there is continued interest in LED lighting, the thread can never truly go away. It got me started on LED lighting, and helped me a tremendous deal through experimentation and into creating my own DIY lighting for my tanks.

I always had the nagging feeling that most of the commercial fixtures on the market were overpriced and had something missing compared to MH and T5 lighting, and after months and months of testing things, from standard cool white/blue, to all sorts of color patterns, to different led brands and currents, I found out I was right. Only now have companies started implementing colors and leds that the DIY community have found beneficial awhile ago. These lights are a nice midpoint between commercial and DIY, are of surprisingly good quality, and are affordable in a hobby that gets very expensive.

Long term info on leds, and results from experimentation like this is severely lacking, so it would be detrimental to the community if this thread were to "go away". Things must stay within the rules however, as this is a private forum and we are guests, whether we agree or not with some rules.

What I find hard to understand, is if someone is requesting information where to find certain leds or lights, how do you convey this information within the rules? Intentionally hiding and censoring helpful info from someone doesn't seem like the right way to go about things, although for a banned seller it is understood and can be discussed outside the forum.

Last edited:
It shocked me when I saw the Chinese LED thread closed . I learned so much from it. People please follow the RC rules for forums.

And if people try to break the rules, suspend there account for a month or so.

Please let this tread live on.

This thread is helping to develop the LED market for the better of this hobby.

I am so glad this thread is back up and running. I learned so much here and possibly think of trying a DIY , maybe.........

May help to know that the layout IT2040 does not accept the 60 degrees lens

You really don't want 60 degrees unless you need to penetrate deeper than 30" into the water with a decent amount of PAR. It narrows the spread too much imo. For your shallow tank there is a possibility it would act like how a magnifying glass frying an ant would.

Last edited:
It shocked me when I saw the Chinese LED thread closed . I learned so much from it. People please follow the RC rules for forums.

And if people try to break the rules, suspend there account for a month or so.

Please let this tread live on.

This thread is helping to develop the LED market for the better of this hobby.

The company is already banned, and if people won't let this go and move on, this thread will also be locked/and or deleted and no new threads will be allowed. They're here to line their pocket.

Try to be productive here and share info.

So what does this mean? Lol

Mike :)

A certain seller of leds is unwelcome here per the mods and was banned. If you try to type in the name it automatically filters it. If you type in a way to get around the filter, that's what it means. I'm guilty of it, and lost pm privileges.

Back to leds, I might write up a summary of things we learned over time for this first page so its easier for people to see what we found out through 400+ pages previously.

You really don't want 60 degrees unless you need to penetrate deeper than 30" into the water with a decent amount of PAR. It narrows the spread too much imo. For your shallow tank there is a possibility it would act like how a magnifying glass frying an ant would.

I am getting the 2040 fixtures too. What do you recommend for the layout for color pop and growth? I currently have 2 120 fixtures from twilight but I am really like the IT2040 fixtures. Thanks for the help!

A certain seller of leds is unwelcome here per the mods and was banned. If you try to type in the name it automatically filters it. If you type in a way to get around the filter, that's what it means. I'm guilty of it, and lost pm privileges.

Back to leds, I might write up a summary of things we learned over time for this first page so its easier for people to see what we found out through 400+ pages previously.

That would be awesome.

I am quiet new to LED. I am downgrading to 60 Gal Cube, 24" high. I just need one of these lights. I plan to have an anemone and softies/SPS as well. Can you please provide me which is the best setup with something that's in $170 range for good growth and colors? Appreciate your help.

Note:: I got confused w/ so many different setups that people put up.

Back