Choosing other fish for my sohal tang

D_cunningham123

I currently have a 1000l system(850l display) and have three large bodied fish: my 7inch sohal, 6 inch rabbitfish, and 5 inch dusky wrasse. I have more space for another large bodied fish but dont know which one to get considering my sohal is very aggressive. My rabbitfish gets a beating now and then even despite here venomous spines. However my sohal does leave my wrasse completely alone.

Just wondering if there are any suggestions as to other fish that could hold their own against the sohal.

You could possible pull the Sohal out the tank, re-scape a little, add the fish you want, then re-introduce him (over the course of a couple of weeks).. I envision problems with dropping any fish in the tank without a similar method. Sohals are super aggressive in tanks.

I have a Sohal in my 8 foot tank, and he can be a little nasty at times, but overall, he swims along everyone and is pretty cool. Normally most agressive when feeding. He was the last fish introduced, so that helps. As for another large fish, what about a nice Naso? They are pretty docile fish. You won't get aggression from a Naso, and they don't seem to give a rip about other fish.

Yeh I think at this point I'll have to rethink my tank stocking and maybe get rid of my sohal for a few other more peaceful tangs.

I'm happy with mine, but already figure I won't be able to keep him for more than a couple years. Just too big and aggressive. I'd never even considered one really. A local reefer sold it to me at a fantastic price, and said he was a model citizen in his 260, a 6 foot tank to boot. I figured I had more room so he'd be happier. He is a great fish, but yeah..... they're difficult to keep with others and need TONS of space.

I'm happy with mine, but already figure I won't be able to keep him for more than a couple years. Just too big and aggressive. I'd never even considered one really. A local reefer sold it to me at a fantastic price, and said he was a model citizen in his 260, a 6 foot tank to boot. I figured I had more room so he'd be happier. He is a great fish, but yeah..... they're difficult to keep with others and need TONS of space.

Yeh mine is getting quite aggressive with my rabbitfish now. What other fish do you keep yours with out of interest?

Yeh mine is getting quite aggressive with my rabbitfish now. What other fish do you keep yours with out of interest?

All in an 8 foot 300. The Sohal, a pretty good sized Naso, a large Sailfin, a blue tang, (15 years old) a yellow tang, purple tang, and powder blue, all small and introduced at the same time. Magnificent foxface, japanese swallowtail angel, couple anthias, a tamarin wrasse and a leopard. Everyone was established before the sohal and sailfin were added together. Those two fight the most, and they have a history of it I guess. (came from same reefer) But, by fight I mean the sohal just chases him away at times. no ripped fins or cuts, anything like that. Everyone else lives in harmony.

All in an 8 foot 300. The Sohal, a pretty good sized Naso, a large Sailfin, a blue tang, (15 years old) a yellow tang, purple tang, and powder blue, all small and introduced at the same time. Magnificent foxface, japanese swallowtail angel, couple anthias, a tamarin wrasse and a leopard. Everyone was established before the sohal and sailfin were added together. Those two fight the most, and they have a history of it I guess. (came from same reefer) But, by fight I mean the sohal just chases him away at times. no ripped fins or cuts, anything like that. Everyone else lives in harmony.

Aggression even in an 8ft tank. Think the sohal will be going pretty soon hahaha. Anyway thanks for your help.

Back