Chromis eggs?

Kustomreefer

I have 6 Blue-green chromis that are over 2 years old in a 225gal reef. Yeasterday, I noticed the lagest one acting strange by going up and down on the rear glass and being very territorial. This morning I found some short lines of what appeared to be eggs on the front glass. Is this common for Chromis to lay eggs on the glass? What is the next step? Thanks for the help. Karl

The up and down motion is what is termed "dipping" and is performed by the male. Though this behavior may continue throughout the day it is usually done at dusk and dawn. (Try placing a 15 watt bulb in the corner of the room to mimic a full moon and elicit mating more frequently). Damselfish sp. will usually lay their eggs on any substrate and that includes glass. You may notice that the eggs will turn from a white color to a darker color (development of pigmentation) and then after a few days the fish will hatch. We tried rearing bicolor damselfish in an open seawater hatchery with various types of food and were only able to raise 1 adult out of 100K+ eggs. Perhaps chromis are different. Try seeing if there's any info out there or try clownfish rearing techniques. Good luck!

Back