Chromis viridis unable to catch food...

Ricimer

Hi!
I have a school of 7 Chromis viridis in my 90gal tank. I have isolated one of them in my refuge because he was too stressed in the display. He was introduced at the same time as two other Chromis about three months ago. They were all small at that time (1.5"). He was doing very fine until last week.
After isolating him I noticed he could not feed anymore. He tries to catch food, but it's always hit and miss and that seems to stress and confuse him. He seems otherwise healthy: active and bright colors. I dont know if he's getting partly blind or uncoordinated. I think I remember reading about a disease that would cause the loss of perspective/3D vision. Can't find anything about it anymore.
I could treat it in a separate tank if I can diagnose and pick a medication...
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks!
Ricimer

A second Chromis now seems to develop the same problem. I am isolating them in a different tank now. Anyone can help me with diagnosis and treatment please?

Same problem here.

I received four Chromis that had some red blotches. After two days in Meth Blue, then a course of Formalin treatment over a week or so, I came to the conclusion that the red spots might just be damage from fighting (scales missing, raw areas, etc.) At the time, all four Chromis were eating well.

So I separated them to keep the fighting to a minimum. The one with the most red blotches got the 10G quarantine tank. The most aggressive of the lot got his own 20G refugium. The last two are together in a 55G.

Its been two or three weeks with the new living arrangements. But over the last week, the one in the 10G can't seem to find his food! He kind of knows I'm feeding because he comes to the top when I open the lid. But he can't seem to see the food to eat it...

At this point, he spends most of his time close to the bottom. Almost like his air bladder isn't working well.

Any ideas as to what's going on or how to treat?

The other Chromis are fine. Will they eventually come down with the same symptoms?

Mine died. I am not so sure the air bladder is malfunctionning. Possibly it just reached the point of complete starvation. I bought a book about fish diseases since then. That disease is not in. :(
The second fish to catch the disease is still alive. When you leave the sick fish with the group, it manages to find some of the food because of the group feeding. But I guess contagion is sure to happen then.
I really wish I could find some info about it, that someone on this forum would help...
Please write back if you do find something.

Its two months later. The obviously sick chromis died. The others were fine and seemed to be healing/growing back their scales. At least the red blotches have been getting smaller and in some cases disappearing altogether.

About three weeks ago I saw a small white spot I'm assuming is Ick, so I put the three chromis in a hospital tank and started a Hypo treatment. Yesterday, the one chromis whose wounds seemed completely healed, started hanging around in a corner near the bottom of the tank. At feeding time, he's not in the mix with the other two. I think he's got the same "Blind Chromis" syndrome.

Does anybody recognize these symptoms?

Same story for me. The blind fish died and the other fish that seemed infected finally healed. For ich, from my short experience the remedy is often worse than the disease. I dont treat ich, I let it phase out. I once killed some fish by treating them when I am convinced they would have been ok if I just did nothing. Since then I do nothing when there is an outbreak. It happens rarely and it has no consequence. Disappears in days.

Back