Clam Acclimation?

Amras

Just ordered my first clam from Premium Aquatics- A Deresa!
WooHoo!!!!
Now I just want to make sure I acclimate the little guy just right- Does it require the same lengthy procedure that snails usually do?

Thanks
Amras

IMO, no. I would be more careful than acclimating a fish, but I would not go to all that crazy trouible acclimating a clam as if it were a snail. BTW, I do not acclimate snails nearly as carefully as has been recommended on the boards recently, and I have never lost a one to acclimation.

I was having some problems with a new crocea a while back and posted a question wondering if it had to do with Kelvin values... My new theory is that it had more to do with acclimation. I remember reading somewhere about kidney damage associated with acclimating too fast. This made some sense to my situation since the clam stopped extending it's mantle about two days after I got it. (I would think if the lighting had something to do with it, it would take a bit longer...) Anyway, when I got an awesome squamosa (7"+) from someone in the classifieds, I decided to test my theory. I acclimated it very slowly by adding a little water a few times and then poking a lot of holes in the bag with a pin. I left him in the bag for about 5 hours. He is doing great! I have since acclimated another 4.5" crocea and a 5" derasa using the same procedure ââ"šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Â they are all doing great! And the crocea that I acclimated quickly ââ"šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Â still a dud. Just my experience...

Back