Clam question

If I may, I've had my corcea for maybe close to four months now. I got him when he was around 2inches. I had him on the sand bed at the and found that since my sand bed really isnt that deep that my clam was digging himself to the bottom and tryin to attach himself to the bottom of my tank. Glad I caught him before he could really get a hold.

I slid a peice of LR under the sand and angled him so that I could see the bright coloration more if i looked just half way up on my glass. Because honestly clams really look stunning if viewed from the top. After a about a week i figured i would move the peice of LR he was on to near the top of my tank once the clam had fully attached. I did and he started moving again almost laying flat. I didnt like the look so i moved the LR back on to the sand bed to make a "clam island."

As far as feeding I havent fed anything. I feed the tank with Rods twice a week, and the fish get F1 flakes as a snack once a week. The clam has done very well, grown at a good rate and hasn't had any problems with his mantle (hyperextentsion, etc..).

Heres a look, pics are kind old.

newjackcity2.jpg

newajackclam.jpg

And here are pics before the LR under him. I think you can see the difference in how the clam took to the LR.

clamside2.gif

clamside.gif

and on from the top down.

clamtop1.gif

I have an idea on how I can get the halides running today. Similar to the way JRAquatics did his lights.

thats a blurry pic, but it looks very nice. Jimmy told me he got those yesterday, but I just dont have time to run over there till tomorrow.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11685357#post11685357 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bigevill
thats a blurry pic, but it looks very nice. Jimmy told me he got those yesterday, but I just dont have time to run over there till tomorrow.

Let me know what you think of the clams when you go. I think I will hold on to my $ until the aussie shipment comes in next week though.;)

Nobody mentioned flow, clams will turn themselves on the sandbed and knock themselves off the rock work until they get positioned in the current the way they like.fuppets how long have you had that clam?I noticed you said when you first placed him you could see all the way threw his foot. Hopefully someone did not tear his foot off collecting him, or maybe he dropped the foot on his own. If he is in good health and good water conditions he will grow a new one.

I bought him the night before the pics. it looked like the hole in the back was where he sticks his foot out of the shell, and is was retracted.

If he has dropped his foot maybe you could get a close up of the underside and post the pic acouple of the pro's will chime in and tell the best course of action

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11684936#post11684936 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fuppets
I found a piece of LR rubble that seems like it will hold him in the spot until he grabs a-hold. He has room to fully open but shouldn't fall over.

I feed Micro-vert and phytoplex, both by Kent, both once a week. About 3-4 days apart, and turn off the skimmer for a few hours. Should I feed anything else or increase the feeding a bit? Oh on both I feed 4 capfuls each time. This little guy is about 2 inches.

Here is a link to a good study on feeding clams. The phytos studied included DTs, Kents, Phyto pheast, Bio-life and more.. Note that one of the products on the market actually had higher mortality rates than the clams that were fed nothing at all.
http://somas.stonybrook.edu/~MADL/pubspdf/Emma-clamgrowth.pdf

Thanks Rod. Looks like I'll be getting some DT's soon.

Clam update. Saw the foot sticking out tonight. Looks like he is attaching himself where I put him. Looks like some little stringy things attached to the rock where his foot was at. Connecting the shell to the rock. The foot is back in the shell now.

Back