Clams Direct Reply

jessiesgrrl

In Memoriam
Let me know what you guys think of this...

>From: "Barry" <barry@clamsdirect.com>
>To: "'Laurie Smith'" <jessiesgrrl@hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: Hi Barry, from your new friends in Maine (SWAM)!
>Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 20:44:14 -0700
>
>Hi Laurie,
>
>Sorry it has taken me a long time to reply to you but have been doing some
>traveling and just today had some time to reply to some of my emails.
>
>Have given your group buy a lot of thought and believe me, I love selling
>our clams but it is such a hassle to prepare clams for taking on the plane
>the same day I leave and in some cities I have had problems even when trying
>to check them in as baggage.
>
>We do offer group shipment with FREE shipping with orders of 12 clams or
>more but in your case we will lower the min. down to 8 or more.
>http://www.clamsdirect.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1561
>
>Also, if any of your members want to order that new clam book, I can bring
>some copies with me. http://www.clamsdirect.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1744
>
>
>Cheers,
>
>Barry
>www.clamsdirect.com
>

This is what that link he gives says:

The boss is out most of the week so we are offering FREE shipping to clubs that order 12 clams or more. This is a $60.00 - $80.00 value.

This is how to do a group order.

1. Have your people order their clams through our online store and in the remarks area, indicate that it is part of XYZ club order. Your invoice will reflect the shipping and container cost but we will manually remove that and charge you nothing but the cost of the clams. Each person will pay for their clams by either credit card or Pay Pal.

2. We will ship all clams to someone in your organization that will pick them up at a predetermined FedEx facility and then arrange for the others to pick up their clams.

3. All bags will me marked with the clam ID# number that you see on our website.

4. All clams must be acclimated in a timely fashion and any loses must be reported with 24 hours of receiving them.

If you need additional information, please call 619 593-0565 or email barry@clamsdirect.com

I would be in for 1 or two clams but he doesn't have alot in stock right now to choose from. I'm interested in blue maximas and all the ones he has right now are 2" or less in size.

Its a pretty good offer and I already have two of his clams and their coloring is awesome.

Most of the clams on the site are sold

Most of the clams on the site are sold

I agree with Laverna...maybe at this point we could wait until after Barry's presentation, and maybe they will have a better selection to pick from also.

Debby

I don't think waiting is a bad idea- especially since more people may be interested in a different type of clam more suitable for their aquarium set up after they hear him speak. We have nothing to lose shipping wise by waiting either, since they are not being loaded on the plane with him.

Sounds good!
:D
Laurie

I agree. After I bought my 1st $50 clam I realized I had to spend $500 in a lighting upgrade to keep him happy.:eek2:

Hey, with the savings on shipping I could justify another clam! WOO HOO!!!

I am interested in buying a clam or two but want to wait till after Barry talks so I know what i'm doing. See you all there. I really don't think it will be a problem coming up with people who want 8 clams. I'd be interested in the book if it's not too much. See you all there. Sue

I think I want to add a tear drop maxima... I like how they look like they have a leopard pattern on the mantle...
Laurie

Is anyone else on their email list... I think he updates you when things are coming in or ready for sale...I receive something but hav enot kept up with the notices :(
Denise

The last batch that they got in was last Thursday. Had/have a few teardrops. The best ones seem to get taken within a few hours of when the store opens. They send out an email approx 24-48 hrs prior. I would be happy to post info the next time I get a notice. I'll be in for a group order.

Depending on when the order came in, I might need someone to clam sit mine for me untill I can make the trip.

Tim

Well, I was just thinking about the shipment info, actually. I would be happy to put them in my tank, but that means everyone from down south would then have to make a few hours trip North to my home. Seems to make more sense for me to drive south instead...

So, I am thinking about asking a store that supports SWAM to receive the clams, and have us pick them up the same day.

Any one with a store interested in doing this? It would mean having all the SWAM people stopping in.. which I am sure would lead to you selling at least ME something... :LOL:

Laurie

AH, the devil is in the details isn't it.

I think there should be a reasonable amount of confidence in the shipment receiver to have the ability to set aside the time nessesary to acclimate the clams properly & soon as they arrive, keep track of which belongs to whom and work under the assumption that odds are that not everyone is going to make it for pickup on the same day. I don't know but maybe thats a lot to ask of a LFS.

Tim

I also wonder abut the clams going through a couple of acclimations.... it may not be a big deal though, no worse than buying one form th eLFS....

I could do it , although I am not really an LFS per se, not sure if Sunrise can do it, I will see her this week....unless she reads this and chimes in to let us know.... I think we are bout as central for everyone as you can get

I wonder if we can get Barry to send us some nice clams... just let him know what we are looking for, maybe he will pick 'the creme of the clams' for us and send them... I trust his judgement, however it may not work for those who already have clams or have a specific color in mind...??? It might be hard for us all to find a clam we like without having him hold them too long etc.. plus we may all covet the same clam....;)

Anyone know is a group of clams called anyway, a pod, a herd, a bunch...?

denise

Okay Denise, now that I read the rest of your post.:)

It might be hard for us all to find a clam we like without having him hold them too long etc.. plus we may all covet the same clam.

Barry seems to run a tight ship. I've seen times when a new batch is posted towards the end of the week and every thing is shipped out by the middle of the following week and then the store is shut down again. I don't think that I would have a proble picking out a clam or two as long as we do it as a new shipment arrives. I might not get the bright blue maxima that I'm looking for but such is life. I would prefer to pick out my own clam I guess. He usually has tons of great looking croceas. The problem will be deciding which one if that is the type you are looking for.

Tim

Hmmm, we could indeed ask Barry to pick some out for us, but I would wonder about how that would turn out? The clams range in price, tank requirements, etc- I would wonder if what he sent would be tank appropriate and affordable for whomever receives?

Would be nice if an LFS was open to the idea- if not that's ok, I can take them or (it sounds like) Denise... I agree that they should undergo as few acclimations as possible as it ups their survival chances considerably for the long haul! I think the best would likely be same day pick up, but people will have to judge what they are willing to risk for conveiance's sake...

I remain open to all possibilities..
Laurie

Back