Cleaning Magnet - Leave in Tank or Remove Between Cleanings?

Do you leave your cleaning magnet in tank between cleanings or take it out?

• Yes, leave it in

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • No, take it out every time

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Other, I’ll explain below

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

griss

RC Mod
Staff member
RC Mod
Once you’ve cleaned your glass, do you remove your cleaning magnet or leave it in the tank? Also, please post why you do what you do.

I’ve always told people to remove the magnets… because, guests, especially children are ‘attracted’ to the magnets and in an instant, the magnets are into the sand bed, and scratching the tank!
However, if you’re like me, with no friends or visitors, leave it on the tank!

I’ve done both. Been bitten on my last magnet with rust so, the new one gets taken out each time.

Someone design a holder for us guys please.
Let the tray hold a little water so it doesn't drip.
Here's something simple that could work. Put your magnets on each side of the center rib and the tray catches the wet side. Hangs on the side of your tank. I did it quick, it could defnitely be prettier.

mag_holder.png

Now that’s a definite thought. Not sure how hard it would be to make a removable tray for easy cleaning of dried salt

Wll, apparently I'm not the only one without friends or visitors. :sneaky: To clean my algae magnets I'll rinse them off in tap water and occasionally H2O2. I'll also look closely and use my finger nail for bits of rust or iron stuck to the pads.

When the tank is on the stand I'll measure the glass thickness.
I think it's close to 3/4".
Got black filament?
I'm actually almost out of everything but clear (which is the absolute worst filament to print), but I was going to order some black soon. When you're ready I don't mind printing you one and sending it down or if you have someone local to print it I can post the files. We can be more creative with the design too if you want. Not working much lately because the shop is slow so I be bored...

OK BOSS,
Glass is 15mm
magnet wet side is 25.4 mm wide X 90mm long
dry side is 35.6 mm wide x 101.5mm long
divider between should be around 6.5 mm
Figured these measurements would be easier for you.
LMK if you are still interested in making in black & shipping below the border please.
Vinny

I remove mine every time. Otherwise, it would probably just be another place for algae to grow and cerith snails to camp out. Also, since it is a mighty magnet, it is rather large and would not look very nice.

OK BOSS,
Glass is 15mm
magnet wet side is 25.4 mm wide X 90mm long
dry side is 35.6 mm wide x 101.5mm long
divider between should be around 6.5 mm
Figured these measurements would be easier for you.
LMK if you are still interested in making in black & shipping below the border please.
Vinny
Sure if it's not a rush. Still have no black filament. When I get a chance I'll draw something up.

Back