Clownfish biting carpet anemone mouth

Chad_P

Have a haddoni carpet that I picked up from LFS last Tue. Acclimated well and settled in nicely. I was out of town this past weekend and noticed it seems to have gotten slightly smaller. I did turn down lighting at request of my LFS to help it acclimate) and notice today the clowns are fairly rough with the mouth. I see them shoving themselves in the mouth and biting.

Tank is 6 months old
Alk 7.8
Ca 432
Nitrate 5ppm
Phosphate 0.05 ppm
Temp 78
Salinity 1.025
3 radion Xr30 running ab+ program staring this week. 75% max but in a 4 week acclimation mode as we speak.

I was thinking maybe it's pooping and fish are just going after it but not sure. Here are some pics. Hard to get good pic because it's partially shaded. Haven't been able to feed it yet, when I put food on it the clownfish move it around but doesn't seem to give me much of a feeding response.
a43dcd4214aa01686c6d2fff7fe1d052.jpg
88c2f86902f53832ffdc1210764e08f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In my experience, when the clownfish did this, they were attempting to help rid dead zooxanthellae in the anemone. I always had to increase the flow a bit to help it expell. If I didnt, the mouth just became looser and looser, until I had to pull it and quarantine it...or worse.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

In my experience, when the clownfish did this, they were attempting to help rid dead zooxanthellae in the anemone. I always had to increase the flow a bit to help it expell. If I didnt, the mouth just became looser and looser, until I had to pull it and quarantine it...or worse.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I fear you're right. This morning it started deflating more. Likely gonna have to pull this and treat with Cipro. Sorry for the crappy pic lights were just coming on
e45d540ea4a1df472172b79ed26ce11e.jpg

That mouth is not normal, not looking good. , as far as clowns behavior goes, they’re natural symbiotes and will only care for their carpet. However, they’re not marine experts, so observe and take action to treat and help that anemone.

The light seems very very strong to me.

Didn't end well. After a couple of weeks after treatment, I thought things were going well. Then all of a sudden started shrinking and then spilling guts.

Could never get it to settle it's foot. Remained sticky but would never have a feeding response.

I’m sorry for your loss.
Experience gained. You may have bought it already sick, don’t blame yourself, you did the best you can.
If you wanna buy another, have the hold it for you for a week. Visit it every other day and see. Miss handling when they bag for you can damage its foot. It happened to me.

I'm sorry for your loss.
Experience gained. You may have bought it already sick, don't blame yourself, you did the best you can.
If you wanna buy another, have the hold it for you for a week. Visit it every other day and see. Miss handling when they bag for you can damage its foot. It happened to me.

Thanks! My LFS won't hold for me I think they don't even like holding these things as they know the risks.

I just bought a green haddoni and tan gig from live aquaria. Had in DT after a few days and both deflated. Treating both and they seem to be doing well

Back