clowns spawn every 10-14 days?

Jamie1210

Just had my true percs spawn 2 weeks ago, but my questions are:

when people say that they spawn every 2 weeks, how exact is this? also, do you count 14 days after the larvae have disappeared, or do you count 14 days after the first day they lay the eggs?

TIA!

For my 2 pairs of spawning clowns it is every 14 days (( give or take a day or two )), that means if they laid eggs tonight, the 6th, I would expect them to lay again in 14 days, the 20th.

thanks for the responses, guys.

awww, dangit, it looks like i screwed things up by putting a tile down on where they last laid eggs ... (it's day 15 now) :(

what do you guys think--remove the tile and hope that they resume spawning again, or just keep waiting and hope that they'll eventually like the tile?

Mine spawed every 12-14 days. The eggs hatch 9 days later. The rock only eggs free 3-4 days every 2 weeks. All other time my tank have eggs in it.

Just feed them well and change the water to keep water condition good. Before the female lay eggs, you should be able to see her stomach bulge out even before feeding that morning. It is easy for me to guess within a day (that day or the next day) when I see the female in the morning prior to feeding her.

Hi Jamie,
I would leave the tile but I was never very good at catching larvae from the main tank. My clowns stopped laying eggs for a month and a half before they started laying eggs again after I introduced a tile. Now they lay eggs on the tile every nine days and the eggs hatch in six days, then three days later new eggs. The Biocube runs pretty hot at 84 degrees which is why the short cycle.

Opposite of what "mobert" said (( and not to disagree, just to show how different clowns are )).....

When I moved, 3 years ago, my Clarkii pair kept their same 2 week schedule, spawned about 4 days after the move. Putting in a tile, or removing it has never bothered them. Heck, if I happen to feed the tank in the middle of their spawning, they will stop, eat, and start again.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15485898#post15485898 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
they will stop, eat, and start again.

why you gotta interrupt them when they're in the midde of it, haha :)

but what mobert mentioned. I would leave the tile as well. give it some time. Like you I did the same thing, except probably added the tile after their 3rd spawn. After adding the tile, I don't recall how long from the previous spawn. But eventually they did figure out the tile was there and for them to lay the eggs on.

good luck with your mated pair :)

thanks for all the replies, guys!

I will definitely just leave the tile there, and see what happens in the future ... I figured, why even bother removing the tile--they'll just lay on the rock, and there's no way i could ever remove that rock anyway .... hmmm.... maybe when the white tile's covered in coralline ...? in the meantime, i'll treat them the way i've always been treating them.

just wanted to give you a guys an update: after putting the tile in, the male would occasionally peck at the tile, but on Friday night, the female began joining him in pecking at the tile, and it even looked like they were head butting the tile at one point! That was then followed by rubbing themselves against the tile. This strange behavior became more and more frequent until, guess what happened yesterday afternoon? We came home to some bright orange eggs! :)

looks like the tile may have caused some delay in spawning, but for the most part, mine are probably on a 2-3 week schedule :)

we are definitely planning on raising them--the rotifer culture is all set up and running ... will give you guys updates in the next few days!

Back