Collecting eels

Joke

Ok i have been collecting marine fish for many years and yes i have the permits but i have never collected an eel dose anyone know any techniques to collect marine eels from their caves e.g equipment and procedure. Thanks i have been finding multiple eels or quite some time and wanted to give it a go.

I've probably seen over a dozen green moray eels in their caves, one was even in a hole at the base of a huge ball sponge. But I've never tried to get them out. Last summer we saw a spotted moray that was living under a 3' x 18" x 2" slab of concrete that I lifted up just to see what was under it. I was looking for other critters like serpent stars and sea cucumbers and such. It would have been easy to net this one as it was totally exposed. I suspect it was young as it was 18" to 24" long and not very big in diameter. But since it was the first spotted moray I'd ever seen, I'm not sure just how big a mature one is.

What kind of eels are you frequently seeing and where?

I too would eventually like to catch my own eel one day.

When I took my then GF (now wife of 15 years) to the Keys for a dive vacation, she figured out the perfect way to coax one out. I was framing a shot of a very large green moray. She decided that it would be helpful to poke it from behind with the tip of her fin. I did get a shot, although it was more than a bit blurry. I also swallowed my regulator. (Well, almost) We had a little chat back on the dive boat about why that was not the greatest idea.

Catching them is one thing. Do you have the system(s) large enough to keep them?

Back