Collection Article, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
something to consider

something to consider

Hi folks,
I hope you have all had a good holiday with more still to come.
My name hase been mentioned a few times in this thread and I have been PM'd to respond. Althougth I really try to stay out of this sort of thing I guess you could say I am sort of in the middle of it. I do not agree with the numbers Eric is stating but, knowing Eric, I think he is a victim of using reports that are totally misrepresented with numbers simply because of the way the system works at present. I think you will find that the SDC comment was valid and c.i.t.e.s. list more than double (in most cases) the amount actually shipped due to the way you have to apply for the permit in advance (somethimes more than weeks in advance) because no shipper wants to have short numbers when shippng day comes along. The big problem is the actual numbers shipped are available but U.S.F.W.F. does not want them because it is too much paper work. However, Fiji and most originating countries have them the day after shipping because quotas are involved and it is important to the shipper to report them or he will run out of quota before the year is over. the numbers are reported on the invoices and customs declaration rather than C.I.T.E.S. permits but U.S.F.W.S. uses the C.I.T.E.S. doc's instead.
I would like to post a copy of part of my MACNA talk from last year to put another spin on this issue. This was taken from a much larger report on the state of the coral reefs written by Richard Starki who has lived and worked on the coral reef all over the world for over 50 years and has logged over 1000's of dives on the GBR alone. I have put my two cents in where I thought it was appropriate to contribute (with his blessings and agreement) and I do believe I have the chops to speak up. As most of you know, I am on the front lines of trying to contribute something positive to this industry and environment ... reports such as Eric's do bother me and I also talk with Andy quite a bit and I would beg to differ on him agreeing with this kind of reporting but more the opposite.
Here is my talk .... sorry its so long.
Peace to everyone, Walt

For more than four decades, not a year has passed without media announcements of dire threats to the coral reef.
Some have been new threats; others, old ones, refurbished or just reiterated. Always, the source is presented by an ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œexpertââ"šÂ¬Ã‚.

Over the years we have been told that coral-eating starfish, oil pollution, over fishing, fertilizer runoff, silt, agrichemicals, sewage, anchor damage, people walking on the reef, tropical fish and coral harvesting, ship groundings and global warming were each imminent threats to the reef.

None of these prophecies of doom, however, have become real and the coral reef continues to be a vast and essentially pristine natural region where measurable human effects remain rare or trivial.

Still, unlike the boy who cried ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œwolfââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ or Chicken Little who claimed the sky was falling, the coral reef doomsayers never seem to loose credibility.

The big problem for truth and reality in this regard is that the reef is largely inaccessible. Itââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s underwater and itââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s vast. Anyone can claim anything and whoââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s to know differently?
With so many alleged experts asserting there are problems, why should anyone believe us if we disagree? The fact is that they shouldnââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t, but nor should they believe any other so-called expert either.

Proper science is based not on authority, but solely on reason and evidence.
History is littered with examples of widely accepted ideas being overturned with new ones that better explain the evidence.

When alleged experts fail to address evidence, try to engage in ****ing matches over credentials, or impugn credibility on the basis of affiliation ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚¦Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã‚¦ this is not science but simply, politics masquerading as science!

To begin, it is important to understand that the term ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œexpertââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ is a relative one. The detailed study of reef biology is a recent phenomenon, and scientific understanding of reefs is still very sketchy.

Only a handful of researchers in the world have both the scientific background and the broad experience of reefs necessary to make reasonably informed judgments about conditions on the reef, and whether those conditions are due to natural variability or human causes.

Almost all the so-called experts given credence by the media are office workers with academic credentials but very limited direct experience of reefs.

Their claims often amount to hypothetical explanations for very limited observations that, more often than not, describe entirely natural conditions, or are based on computer models that predict imaginary futures.

So ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚¦. Letââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s look at a couple of examples that have already been given;

The Crown of Thorn Starfish Infestation
Population explosions of the coral eating crown of thorn starfish first came into scientific and public awareness in the late 1960ââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s.

The starfish threat soon was deemed by experts to be unprecedented and on a scale that might damage the entire reef.
When it was discovered that the Tritonââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s trumpet shell was a natural predator of the starfish, it was immediately concluded that shell collectors were to blame fore the starfish outbreaks..

This theory was eventually discredited, but its serious consideration for some time reveals the profound ignorance of the experts.

Trumpets are never abundant enough anywhere to control an outbreak of starfish, and most of the reefs involved have never been subjected to shell collecting.
As for being unprecedented, earlier knowledge of reefs was simply too sparse for such a claim to be credible.
Despite all the dire predictions, Crown of Thorn population fluctuations continue to come and go on the reef, and infested reefs invariably recover within a few years.

In fact, it is entirely possible that starfish outbreaks even play a beneficial role in promoting coral diversity.

How so? You ask ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚¦.
Every year, tropical cyclones cross the reef and leave wide trails of massive coral destruction in their track.
After a few years, the fastest growing corals have repopulated such areas.
These branching and plate like species form dense thickets which prevent the slower growing, more massive species from recovering.

The former, however, are the preferred food of the Crown of Thorns, and when an outbreak occurs, they thin out the fast growing species and give the slower ones a chance to re-establish.

Oil Pollution
This bug-a-boo was first conjured up to oppose oil exploitation in the Great Barrier Reef. It is periodically revived to oppose cargo shipping through tropical waters, and also to whip up media drama whenever a vessel runs aground or a temporary slick is spotted in tropical waters.

Oil floats, coral doesnââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t and oil has never caused extensive damage to reefs anywhere.

Oil is mainly a threat to sea birds, marine animals, and intertidal life.
It is not very toxic and follow up surveys of spills have repeatedly found that damage is never as extensive or as long lasting as initially predicted.

It has also been repeatedly found that clean-up efforts are not only ineffectual but actually result in worse damage than if nothing is done at all.

Still, under pressure from environmental activist, we persist to engage in hugely expensive and damaging clean-up charades, especially when an oil company can be made to pay the cost.

The ultimate worst-case scenario for a coral reef oil spill occurred in the Persian Gulf War in 1991 when Suddam Hussein ordered the release of 6 ââ"šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ 8 million tons of oil into the Gulf.

This was not only the worst spill of all time, but it occurred in an enclosed body of shallow water containing numerous reefs.
Greenpeace proclaimed it an ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œunprecedented disasterââ"šÂ¬Ã‚

With no oil company to pay for clean-up, and even a bigger problem of there being over a thousand burning oil wells to deal with, nothing was done, save some extensive surveys.

The result was that in 4 months most of the oil had naturally degraded and within 4 years the areas were largely to fully recovered.
Damage to reefs was minimal and temporary. The greatest and longest lasting damage was restricted to the top of the intertidal zone. Even here, however, by 1995, recovery was rated as being 83-100% of the conditions which prevail on similar but unpolluted shores.

So ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚¦. Taking all of this into perspective ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚¦..
In the case of our coral harvesting the examples I have just given ring true and loud. For years we have been told by the experts that the coral reef is dying and should not be harvested. For years I have invited scientist from every part of the globe to visit our sites.

The few that actually came and did the work are now our closest allies who continue to write glowing reports about the sustainability of our harvest.

However, sometimes the opposite happens.
About 7 or 8 years ago the Fiji government, in conjunction with the World Wildlife Foundation and our industry, hired a reef scientist who actually worked on the reefs and did the job.
There was considerable concern over our harvest and the Fiji government simply did not know enough about it. Although they knew that they wanted to shut us down they had no proof that we were actually doing any harm.
It was the opinion of the Ministry (at the time) that if a well known reef scientist wrote a report condemning our industry that they could use this report as a tool to put a stop to our industry.
The report took several months to compile all the information, and do the surveys.
The industry in Fiji remained transparent and offered the scientist complete access to our records and dive sites and accompanied all of the operations on many dives.
When the report was finally submitted it clearly showed that our trade and collection posed no threat to the environment and added to the local economy.
As a result, the Fiji government decided to discredit the report and buried it at the bottom of a pile of reports never to be referenced or used again.
The report titled ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œStement on Fiji Harvest Reportââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ (which appears on my web siteââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ was written by Ed Lovell who did a considerable part of the work on Charlie Verons well know book ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œCorals of Australia and the Indo-Pacificââ"šÂ¬Ã‚.
Both Charlie and Ed are ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œexpertsââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ who are the exception to the rule (among others such as the speaker after me ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚¦. Andy Bruckner and Bruce Carleson to name just a couple) that I was talking about who actually get in the water and do the work.

Another clear example took place in Fiji in the year 2000.
Fiji had a major bleaching event.
Over 90% of the east side of the main island and most of the tourist locations in the west lost their reef to bleaching. The experts blamed everything from the French testing nuclear warfare in Tahiti to Global warming.
They said our reefs would be lost for many generations to come and may never recover. It was horrible doom and gloom in the papers and in reports that circled the globe.
Of course our industry didnââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t stand a chance against this kind of publicity.
Today, 5 years later, all of those same reefs that were documented as totally dead are now back to better that 90% full recovery. The ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œexpertsââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ were wrong.

However, they did manage to scare off about 30% - 40% of the tourist for the next couple of years, when the Fiji economy relies on tourism for 85% of its revenue and almost shut down our industry worth about 40,000,000 annually.

Good show, give those experts a pat on the back for a job well done!

Luckily, my reefs were largely not effected but my competitor is shipping corals from those very dead reefs today and the studies show a very sustainable harvest well within the ecology of the reef.

Ecology, like economics, is holistic by nature, and not all effects are immediate or obvious. A balanced, sustainable use of a resource makes possible a healthy human ecology. Unnecessary restrictions on particular resources only puts more pressure on others and it is entirely possible that habitat destruction could occur.

Beyond the misuse of a valuable resource, the false claims of threats to the coral reef also entail a broader and an even more important problem; the misuse of science itself.

Modern environmentalism has become much more than simply a concern for a healthy environment. It has developed into a peculiar quasi-religious blend of new age nature worship, science, leftwing political activism, and anti-profit economics.

No reasonable person will deny that our exploding population, technology and consumption has an environmental effect, but, equally undeniable, humans are a part of the ecology of this planet. Everything we do or do not do has its effects and these may often be remote and unforeseen.

Nature is not perfect, but always in a state of flux. Human actions can improve and enlighten one to the beauty of nature, as well as degrade the abundance, diversity and conditions of life.

When looking at the problems we are facing today we must be realistic and observant of natural causes. When some problems turn out be not real, or less bad than feared, this must be acknowledged and investigated, not denied or denigrated.
There is no shortage of real problems. We have no need to manufacture imaginary ones.

Finally, the responsibility lies with you to share what you have learned from this wonderful hobby and to foster a better appreciation of life within the sea.

The knowledge we have learned in this hobby has already bridged many links into science as we all move forward together with a better understanding of such things as growth rates, temperature fluctuations, natural settlement and compatibility to name just a few.

We are essentially on a new horizon and truth, not hysteria, has never been more important for the future of our relationship with nature.

So I say to you,
Our hobby has the unique ability to share and learn from some of the most hidden (until now) secrets of nature. As we look forward we should all be proud of our accomplishments to foster and encourage a balanced and loving stewardship of our planet for the benefit of our generations to come.

Good post Walt. I don't want to appear to be overly critical of the report, but. I guess we are all victims if we look at it from the right perspective. I feel like a victim as a retailer because I think Corlmania makes us look worse than we really are. I think it makes the wholesalers look much shader than they are, so I guess they are victims. Andy (spawner) was a victim of having his data misquoted. Dr. Peter Rubec is a victim of having outdated information used. I think the readers in general are victims too, because they may come away somewhat misinformed and with the wrong impression of the trade. Contrary to Eric B, I think a lot of positive progress has been made. In recent private conversation with Mark Scheffler he told of the hope MAC is bringing in the fishers in PI where he is working. I, like Eric Cohen, believe the money MAMTI is pouring into the field will yield good results if given time. I think there will be far less victims if more care is used in checking facts, and getting the most current assessment possible, before going to press with a story such as this.
Mitch Gibbs

please consider

please consider

Hi All,
I thought you might like to see the response that Walter Stark gave me regarding this subject. If you would like to know more about him you can visit his site at www.goldendolphin.com
He is quite an amazing man as you will see in the "about the author" section of his site.
Eric, do you know of him? He fits right in with Sylvia Earl with his developments in the field.

Dear Walt,

You are quite willing to use my Threats paper as you wish. Sensibly undertaken, the aquarium trade offers one of the highest returns for the least impact of any type of fishery. Any time we can make a resource valuable to local people is important in that what is of value to us we are interested in protecting. The end use too is of considerable environmental benefit in that it fosters personal interest, knowledge and appreciation of the natural world among urban dwellers who otherwise tend to have little interest in such things.

Unfortunately the degree mills are now cranking out large numbers of "marine scientists" who might better be called "Marine Scientologists" in that they are true believers in the new eco-religion. They have little understanding or interest in the real nature of the world but simply seek to interpret everything in terms of preconceived beliefs regarding the purity of nature and its defilement by humans.

I received your order for the Golden Dolphin DVD and it is being sent. Thanks.

Regards,

Walter Starck

Thanks also Walt.

I believe that Walter Stark's view really sums it up.

I also would like to publicly thank you for all your tireless efforts over the years to keep the industry moving forward to a more sustainable industry and your non-sellfish work with both scientists and gov't officials to better understand us.

Happy holidays,

Eric

Mr. Smith-

Thank you so much for your words of wisdon, as well as providing the links to the info from Mr. Stark's and Mr. Lovell.

I hesitated to reply to this, but after much thought I feel I must. I am not an expert on coral reefs, but I am a scientist (social) and I understand some of the arguments presented in this thread.

Let me start by stating that I do not know who is right and who is wrong. My experience tells me that each side (if there are two sides) has a few good points and some that will be or have already been falsified.

What I find interesting, however, is the method of attack against this article and Eric personally. The attack against him is a classic one and one that makes me question the attackers more than question the article Eric wrote. You may ask, "What is classic about this attack?" Let me tell you.

1.) Rather than putting up a good argument about how the hobby does not impact the reefs, the attackers attack the details of the article - not the overall message. It is easy to attack details, particulalry when admittedly there are no "accepted" numbers. Why are there no accepted numbers? Because there are vested interests on both sides. We could have accurate numbers if someone was willing to collect information from the interested parties and pay for substantial impartial audits of those reports. So far, this hasn't happened. Personally, I don't trust the numbers reported so far - by either side - and I wouldn't trust numbers presented by the trade without significant auditing. There is too much at stake for the industry not to try to minimize the numbers.

2.) Rather than providing sound arguments against the article, some have chosen to name call. Classic attempt to paint the other side as biased and radical - so don't believe anything they say. Walt Smith did this quite effectively - even using someone else's email to do it. Let me quote :

"When alleged experts fail to address evidence, try to engage in ****ing matches over credentials, or impugn credibility on the basis of affiliation ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚¦Ã¢â"šÂ¬Ã‚¦ this is not science but simply, politics masquerading as science!" - Isn't this what he is doing? And would he classify himself as an expert?

"Modern environmentalism has become much more than simply a concern for a healthy environment. It has developed into a peculiar quasi-religious blend of new age nature worship, science, leftwing political activism, and anti-profit economics." - Again, trying to make it look like the other side is just plain crazy. The us agains them argument.

And finally,
"Marine Scientologists" in that they are true believers in the new eco-religion." - Why is this necessary if you have irrefutable evidence of the correctness of your position?

3.) The attackers attack with partial stories or half-truths, never explaining the details. For instance, the crown-of-thorns starfish example - my understanding of this (and I could be wrong) is that the starfish young have a much higher survival rate in high nutrient water and that nutrient runoff from land (man made runoff) is likely a contributing factor. Yes, it was not the shell collectors, but it still could be man.

Surely the trade is not responsible for all of the destuction of reefs - and yes, I think the majority of evidence shows that reefs are on a decline. It may be only a minor contributor. But to say there is no impact is hard to believe.

I do believe that many of the SPS corals can show amazing recovery and that harvesting those may not be unsustainable. Also, the hobby can do more good for the reefs than bad - if we find a way to use the power of the hobby.

I would hope that people would work together on this, but my fear is that there is too much money at stake to have a truly independent report. My guess is that the US Govt. and those of Western Europe will require increasing accountability from the industry over the next decade - and much of that will be fought against by the importers and others making money from the sale of these creatures.

Just my opinion,
John

John: That is perhaps the best analysis on this discussion that I have seen. You are right in that there may be no "right" or "wrongs" but the evidence would weigh in favor of significant reef decline no matter what the cause(s). I also agree with your assessments of Walt's comments and I am glad that someone else pointed this out.

It will be interesting to now read Eric's comments. My gut feeling is that anyone making a living off of selling corals/fish/LR, etc... cannot be expected to have an unbiased & rational opinion.

Just my opinion as well,

Steve

My gut feeling is that anyone making a living off of selling corals/fish/LR, etc... cannot be expected to have an unbiased & rational opinion.

Just my opinion as well,

Steve [/B]

Does that include people like Eric making money from selling books and speaking engagements and writing articles about corals for the hobby? If not, why? What about Walt? I fear that these questions will be taken as inflammatory, but I ask it because I am truly interested in the answers. :D

The debate here is not that there is/isn't problem with many reefs of the world or that humans have impacted them, that the aquarium trade has some impact.

The issue here, the debate in this thread, the reason that this topic has received so much attention from people deep in the business who normally don't post, is that citations and data presented from those citations in the paper are old, out of date, inaccurate, or misrepresented. Furthermore when someone of Eric Borneman's stature and name recondition within the industry writes an article, people (hobbyist, regulators, others) generally take it as fact, unquestioned and repeat it. When data from a paper that is not entirely factual is repeated as fact it damages the industry unfairly. Not because the industry is without blame, but because the text of the paper has taken certain liberties. This was Dizzy's concern and the reason he posted the thread. Not that the industry doesnââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t need to clean up its act. The point of the article and the facts and message portrayed by the article are two very different things. Mitch (Dizzy) is basically saying that Boremen is ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œsexing upââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ the available literature.

It's more of an editoral, improper review compliant, not a message or point of the paper. Dizzy fears that certain people will use the paper to further push their message to shut down the trade or regulate it out of business.

It is a shame that these debates seem to take to mud slinging and name calling, but this is just part of the business, you just have to have thick skin. Dizzy's questions are vaild and should be addressed.

I have made my living off the marine aquarium trade for 25 years and have easily been its most sustained and consistant critic....
My problem is however that I have found many eco-allies as so money oriented themselves that they have compromised themselves in a feeding frenzy for funding at all costs.
I have come to see them as offering little that can create change and often agents of the reverse.
The most severe criticisms have come from inside the trade quite often...and been unwelcome by all sides as it doesn't fit the format of black vs white...good guy, bad guy.
The trade doesn't like its own behaving like an environmentalist and the environmentalists sure don't like to be trumped by trade people in terms of experience, knowledge and constructive proposals.

The trades wonderful potential is not excused by its crimes... and yet.... with a fraction of the money squandered by money grubbing, city-boy "eco-scientologists", we could have trained thousands of divers by now and converted them to sustainable or at least non destructive methodologies.

Name calling? In some venues this is called embezzling and the guilty would be called worse. They would be called felons.
The trade figures have never wasted and effectively embezzled a million dollars in the mission to clean up things, develop a CDT or train a few thousand divers. That was done strictly by one NGO after another cashing in for over 15 years now!.
Misrepresenting themselves, their credentials and their wherewithall to funders, they have commited grant procurement fraud and at least a dozen times now...with the actual total into the millions.
But in the end, it is the trade that is considered the bad guys as the failed and flakey eco pretenders skip on down to the next en vogue cause that pays.
Steve

Last edited:
It will be interesting to now read Eric's comments. My gut feeling is that anyone making a living off of selling corals/fish/LR, etc... cannot be expected to have an unbiased & rational opinion.

That has to be one of the most absurd statements that I have had the misfortune to read here on Reef Central. What you are basically saying is that EVERYONE that makes a living from the aquarium industry is a liar. How else could that statement be interpreted? How about a little nicer slant, no one in the industry has the ability to tell the truth. SAME STATEMENT!

I am not in the industry. But I will gladly step up to defend people like Mary Middlebrook, who has never hesitated to tell the truth about the state of the industry. I had the opportunity to hear Mary speak in the Bay Area a while back, and she laid it all out in its gruesome details.

Steve Robinson, who has fought for industry reform for years, including getting rid of cyanide.

To say that people like Mary and Steve "cannot be expected to have an unbiased & rational opinion" is insulting...and I hope that you just misspoke.

For John (Experimenter) to make the statement that the details are not that important, it's the overall message, and for you to support that feeeeeeeeling sounds much more like "cannot be expected to have an unbiased & rational opinion" than what I have heard from any of the industry folks. The devil is in the details.

You guys are right - the details matter. Especially when policy will be based on them. My point was more that some people were attacking the figures and stating that they knew better, but they were not presenting verifiable (audited) figures themselves. It appeared that some of these individuals - clearly not all - were trying to say that the hobby does no harm whatsoever to the reefs. They should be asking why we don't have better figures and how can we go about getting them?

In my reading of the thread, it also appears that most people are arguing rationally, but they are arguing over minor differences. For instance, we all know that a lot of organisms are taken from the reefs. Many wholesalers, LFSs, and others on the selling end are arguing that Eric's numbers are wrong and misleading. Well, to them I ask - How many creatures can we sustainably take from the reefs? In other words, you think Eric's numbers are too high (and could be used to argue for more regulation). Well, how high do you think they have to be to make a good argument for regulation?

I am suspecting that many who question the numbers would argue that government should stay out regardless of how high they get. If the governments in the reef owning countries (e.g., Fiji, etc.) allow export then that is their business.

Steve, you are doing it again. Please stick to points. Not all environmentalists are as you say they are. You could be taken more seriously if you stuck to arguments about the real issue. Yes, some people who call themselves environmentalists are just as money driven and selfish as everyone else. In fact, we probably agree on many things about the hobby/industry (maybe not on environmental policy though).

I would expect that since you have made rather bold statements about these "city-boy "eco-scientologists"" that you need to start backing them up with specifics.

For instance, you stated "The trade figures have never wasted and effectively embezzled a million dollars in the mission to clean up things, develop a CDT or train a few thousand divers. That was done strictly by one NGO after another cashing in for over 15 years now!.
Misrepresenting themselves, their credentials and their wherewithall to funders, they have commited grant procurement fraud and at least a dozen times now...with the actual total into the millions."

Who are these people and what exactly did they do? Actually, my guess is that a lot of money has been wasted, I would just like to know where you think it has been wasted.

As for Eric being biased and others in the industry being biased, yes, we are all biased. Economists would argue that we are all trying to maximize our individual utility functions! We are never certain about whom to believe, but I think we can say that rarely is an industry capable of regulating itself. There are always good people in the industry trying to keep it on track, but there are always others who are in it for the quick buck.

Sorry for the long post, but I really like this thread!

Take care,
John

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6382752#post6382752 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Experimenter

Steve, you are doing it again. Please stick to points. Not all environmentalists are as you say they are. You could be taken more seriously if you stuck to arguments about the real issue. Yes, some people who call themselves environmentalists are just as money driven and selfish as everyone else. In fact, we probably agree on many things about the hobby/industry (maybe not on environmental policy though).

I would expect that since you have made rather bold statements about these "city-boy "eco-scientologists"" that you need to start backing them up with specifics.

For instance, you stated "The trade figures have never wasted and effectively embezzled a million dollars in the mission to clean up things, develop a CDT or train a few thousand divers. That was done strictly by one NGO after another cashing in for over 15 years now!.
Misrepresenting themselves, their credentials and their wherewithall to funders, they have commited grant procurement fraud and at least a dozen times now...with the actual total into the millions."

Who are these people and what exactly did they do? Actually, my guess is that a lot of money has been wasted, I would just like to know where you think it has been wasted.

Pop over to Reefs.org Industry forum, this thread started over there and was brought over here. RC is a bit more censored than reefs.org Lots of lively discussions and fights are over there for you to read, many on MAC the chief money launder that Steve referes to. You have to forgive Steve, he has been working in the field too long and needs to sit in an office for sometime to clarify his thoughts.

Andy,

Thanks for pointing me there. It has been awhile since I went to that board. Wow!

From what I read, I think Steve and I actually agree on a lot of things. It is very enlightening to see industry insiders speak to each other.

I hope this whole thing gets/keeps things moving in the right direction. I think everyone is really on the same side (or at least most everyone). The only thing I don't agree on is that the reef farmers themselves are the best police and will not overharvest. Almost never in history has such a thing occured. Humans typically harvest until the resource is gone.

Thanks,
John

history of eco fraud

history of eco fraud

"That was done strictly by one NGO after another cashing in for over 15 years now!.
Andy,
Where have you been?
In 1981 the first project to convert cyainide fishers was for 25k from US AID and UNICEF . It was embezzled by the Environmental Center of the Philippines run by Ramon Binamira.
He used it to set up his own private business called V-Mead.
I served as trainer and resigned after much protest 9 months over the theft and the fraud.
Is that the kind of specificity you ment?
Do you want to hear more?
Since then, there has not been a year that grants were not given and squandered based on this issue by one group or another.... Not one.
Research, training, technology transfer, surveys, handling training, community organizing etc. etc. were all the keywords to lull funders into giving to one fraud after another.
Each year has its own list of characters, intrigues, stealing, false reports and false accounting etc.
The story of eco-fraud leading til the present time would make a book.
It could be called;
Funding Failure, the sabatoge of environmental idealism and effectiveness in our time.....[ or something like that ].

The sheer weight of cash spent on the issue has produced hardly any conversions underwater and in the villages where all the action is. Nearly all the monies have been spent in the cities.
20,000 divers could have been trained, equipped and given college educations for all the money lost.
No one in the trade however had a hand in it. Its all been run by assorted non govt organizations from 1981 til today.
Their complicity in ruining the chance of converting this industry to sustainability is great.

Surely the is no audience for this history. But there are eyewitnesses to it.
Steve

If anyone wants to learn more about how quite a few grant administering foundations are abusing and circumventing the true intentions of some of the people who donate to them, I suggest going to www.activistcash.com and reading some of the articles. You can find articles about PETA and other there. I posted articles about Sea Web and Humane Sociity of North American over on reefs.org in the Industry forum. It is fascinating reading and possibly helps unpeel some of the layers of secrecy surronding the origins of certification schemes. (Possibly linking to our very own favorite NGO) Read the RDO threads to form your own opinion. Here is a lit bit from the www.activistcash.com About us section. It is eye opening information to say the least.
Mitch

"ActivistCash.com, a project of the Center for Consumer Freedom, provides the public and media with in-depth profiles of anti-consumer activist groups, along with information about the sources of their exorbitant funding.

Despite their innocent-sounding names, many of these organizations are financial Goliaths that use junk science, intimidation tactics, and even threats of violence to push their radical agendas. We've analyzed over 500,000 pages of IRS records to bring you a comprehensive snapshot of where their money comes from, tracking more than $800 million to date.

We also offer valuable information about hundreds of deep-pocketed foundations, activist celebrities, and other key players in the movement to control what you eat and drink. To stay in the loop, bookmark ActivistCash.com today and join our e-mail list."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back