Collospongia Auris vs Cyanos

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15380630#post15380630 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ctenophors rule
if you doesed a cyano killer like red slime remover, would it kill the cyano that lives symbioticaly with the sponge? also, to "test" your theory, why not add some cyano from a locals tank and see what happens?

come on......inm the name of science! i will subscribe to this thread if you do.
That collospongia has symbiotic cyanos is -to the best of my knowledge- not a hypothesis but an established fact. so, if the collospongia cyanos are sensitive to the cyano killer they will die 8together with the sponge)

Your other experiment is interesting and I have actually already done it. But I guess that is -in a way- like shooting on sitting duck. My tank did not contain any red slime and therefore it is reasonable to assume that the conditions for cyanos are not right. So, it is not surprising that the slime from "the outside" disappeared.

But I have provided a friend with a collospongia frag and it will be interesting to see if his slime disappears.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15272493#post15272493 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by subarcticreef
I live in Switzerland and bought it here. I have, however, seen this sponge in several stores that I have visited in the US so I do not think it is to difficult to get hold of.

Have been away for two weeks and my daughter has been taking care of the tank. She likes to feed the fish so the phophate level has gone up and there is plenty of macros. But no cyanos and the collospongia has not overgrown anything (in contrast to the Anthelia).

(revisting this thread after my wry "coincidence" comment :)

every tank i've ever personally known has gone through a cyano bloom, and it disappears practically overnight once whatever needed to get naturally in balance got there. i don't know the history of your system, but don't think it's unusual for systems to go through a cyano phase and to have it end suddenly. that would be my argument for coincidence.

i can't imagine an overnight change would come from the cyano being outcompeted by a freshly introduced specimen, so it would have to be some sort of chemical reaction to something the sponge produces, probably produced in large quantities after the stress of transfer and introduction. i don't see how it could affect things so quickly otherwise.

if the cyano bloom wasn't just a phase naturally ending, then there is something fundamentally wrong with your system that's allowing it to prosper (flow and/or nutrients) and this doesn't seem like the best way to control it, especially if the sponge is as invasive as it sounds. moving the sponge colonies to your sump or a seperate fuge inline with the system would seem to be wise if this is something you do want to keep permanently for cyano control.

i'd still pursue whatever the underlying cause of the outbreak was if you do attribute its demise to the introduction of the sponge.

my 2 pfennigs.

on an unrelated note, i lived in switzerland for a few years, and the hobby did not have a broad base there at the time. i was only ever able to find one reef store, in zuerich. i can't remember its name, it was over by a hotel with a very nice piano bar. it was small, very clean (of course!), and only had dimly lit tanks with softies, xenia, polyps and mushrooms, no SPS at all. i knew no one professionally or personally who maintained a reef system.

that was 20 years ago, so i'm sure things have changed, and i am curious what the state of the hobby is there. i still have fond memories of the place, know a few expats who settled there permanently, and try to imagine what it would have been like to have stayed longer. it would have been a challenge to put together a reef in zuerich at the time i lived there without many trips to germany with rubbermaid in the trunk.

(i don't mean to hijack your thread, feel free to PM me if you'd like to keep it on topic)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15411394#post15411394 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drstupid
(revisting this thread after my wry "coincidence" comment :)

every tank i've ever personally known has gone through a cyano bloom, and it disappears practically overnight once whatever needed to get naturally in balance got there. i don't know the history of your system, but don't think it's unusual for systems to go through a cyano phase and to have it end suddenly. that would be my argument for coincidence.

i can't imagine an overnight change would come from the cyano being outcompeted by a freshly introduced specimen, so it would have to be some sort of chemical reaction to something the sponge produces, probably produced in large quantities after the stress of transfer and introduction. i don't see how it could affect things so quickly otherwise.

if the cyano bloom wasn't just a phase naturally ending, then there is something fundamentally wrong with your system that's allowing it to prosper (flow and/or nutrients) and this doesn't seem like the best way to control it, especially if the sponge is as invasive as it sounds. moving the sponge colonies to your sump or a seperate fuge inline with the system would seem to be wise if this is something you do want to keep permanently for cyano control.

i'd still pursue whatever the underlying cause of the outbreak was if you do attribute its demise to the introduction of the sponge.

my 2 pfennigs.

on an unrelated note, i lived in switzerland for a few years, and the hobby did not have a broad base there at the time. i was only ever able to find one reef store, in zuerich. i can't remember its name, it was over by a hotel with a very nice piano bar. it was small, very clean (of course!), and only had dimly lit tanks with softies, xenia, polyps and mushrooms, no SPS at all. i knew no one professionally or personally who maintained a reef system.

that was 20 years ago, so i'm sure things have changed, and i am curious what the state of the hobby is there. i still have fond memories of the place, know a few expats who settled there permanently, and try to imagine what it would have been like to have stayed longer. it would have been a challenge to put together a reef in zuerich at the time i lived there without many trips to germany with rubbermaid in the trunk.

(i don't mean to hijack your thread, feel free to PM me if you'd like to keep it on topic)

I do not think I ever had a cyano bloom in the tank, not even in the beginning (started it in May of last year). The cyanos grew in relatively small patches in two of the corners of the tank where, I guess, the circulation was less than optimal. Anyway, I had it there for, I think, 9 months. And then it vanished after the Collospongia was introduced. I am perfectly open to that this could be a coincidence or that the tank only required a small change for it to become less habitable for the slime. But if we take a closer look at the Collospongia, this COULD make sense. First, its tissue contains large quantities of cyanos with -I guess- roughly the same requirements for nutrients as the slime. Second, sponges are effective pumps that expose their symbiotic cyanos to whatever the water contains in terms of nutrients. Third, cyanos are known for producing many different toxins of which several have antibiotic properties. It would not surprise me if at least some of these toxins are used in "chemical warfare" with other competing cyanos. My guess is that there could be a combination of "chemical warfare" and competition (assuming limiting amounts of nutrients for the cyanos) going on.
Anyway, I am perfectly open to my observation being just a coincidence and therefore it would be interesting to hear what experiences other Collospongia owners have.

The salt water hobby has really taken off here. I live in the Basel area (right on the borders between Switzerland, France and Germany). Within 30 mins we have at least 5 saltwater dealers and the selection of animals and equipment is just amazing. I guess it is the proximity to Germany, where the modern version of the hobby was invented, that has triggered this.

i'm glad to hear the hobby is prospering there. i realized reading your response that my description of the zuerich LFS was pretty much like most philly LFS at the time... 20 years goes by very quickly! and so much has changed with our hobby. i just hope the current economic downturn doesn't crush it. my personal experience is 3 friends who've shut their systems down vs. just one who's decided to set his first up.

if this sponge is such a potent cyano killer on immediate introduction, and is so invasive that it's not a good long term inhabitant, then perhaps it would be a good thing to just move a frag around local tanks with cyano blooms. sort of like having a roaming bergia crew locally to eat aips (we've got some folks trying to establish that here). anything natural to combat recurring nuisances would seem preferable to dosing your tank with something like boyds, like a few folks with older systems make part of their routine.

your cyano problem sounds like it was pretty minor, not a big bloom, so it'd be interesting to hear what the sponge does to a major breakout.

chuess! (sorry my schweizerdeutch was always terrible.)

I live in the Basel area (right on the borders between Switzerland, France and Germany). Within 30 mins we have at least 5 saltwater dealers and the selection of animals and equipment is just amazing. [/B]

That really wounds like the place to be. The nearest SW LFS is about an hour away from where I am. What are the main differences in the hobby in Europe compared to the U.S?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15454297#post15454297 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NeveroddoreveN
That really wounds like the place to be. The nearest SW LFS is about an hour away from where I am. What are the main differences in the hobby in Europe compared to the U.S?

I have very limited experience of the hobby in the US since I have only visited on salt water shop there (in Manhattan). Unfortunately (for us!), prices are much higher in Switzerland than in the US. Apart from that, it seems fairly similar. I think that RC and other internet forums have had a great impact here. The different "cultures" on the two continents are not as different any longer. "The Global Village...."

Just got a message from a friend (that has been plagued by red slime for an extended time period) that I provided with a Collospongia frag. The frag has started growing and he has observed a significant reduction in the amount of slime in his tank.

this sponge can outcompete cyanobacteria HOWEVER the sponge itself is (in most cases) more of a nuisance problem than cyano itself and should be avoided.

this sponge can outcompete cyanobacteria HOWEVER the sponge itself is (in most cases) more of a nuisance problem than cyano itself and should be avoided.

Still no cyanos! The sponge is behaving. No signs of overgrowth. Actually, I observe quite the opposite. Soft corals seem to grow on the sponge.

I have had colospongia auris and cyano in my tank at the same time. Give me cyano any day, the sponge was indestructible and I ended up replacing over a 100kg of liverock to get rid of it.

You can see it on the rock in this picture.
tony4.jpg

A complete strip-down and rebuild was necessary.

Have just encountered a red slime infestation in my new tank. Added collospongia and the slime was gone in 2 days. In my experience collospongia is very easy to control. If it get to much, just cut away the excess. High nutrients may however lead to fast growth but I have never had the problem.

Sorry to reply to an old post but I think it's better to keep experienceces all together

Yesterday I've received a collospongia. I put it in a small picoreef.
Then looking for infos I've read this discussion and decided to try to put the collospongia in my other aquarium that have red slime (cyano) growing in a corner and ciano+dino on the back and side glass.
Made this yesterday evening, and no other changes.

This morning the red slime patch is disappeared! o_O
And the walls seems more clean without cyano bubbles.

What makes me sad is that yesterday I didn't took a picture because, to be honest, I didn't think it could be true and effective. :(

I want to try to remove the sponge and see if the slime grows back again.

Has anyone tried to put the sponge in their fuge instead of the DT? If it's releasing something that kills the cyano then it shouldn't necessarily need to be in the DT right?

As above, I'll add this here for information. I added this sponge to my DT and all cyano disappeared and us not reappeared since. The sponge is starting to grow onto other rocks but slowly and is easily peeled away.

CAREFUL HERE
I have this sponge & it has taken over, ALL OVER.
I have to manually remove it by taking the rockwork apart & removing it from the tank to get all of it.

Have just started a new soft coral with some NPS so feed it quite heavily . Collospongia was added day 1. No signs of cyano or anything of that sort. I have been inspired by MikeC s famous softie tank and I saw that he also had collospongia but no signs of overgrowth.

In case you are afraid of overgrowth, put it on an “island” so you can remove if you need to.

Back