Converting a Intllab Dosing Pump to a Dual Head Pump

n2585722

I modified a Intllab pump with a different motor to allow two pump heads on a single dosing pump. This has been in use since around March of 2021. It has been running so good that I decided to modify one of the spares like this. This time I got some photos as I was doing this. The first three photos below are of the dual head motor assembly and of a Intllab single head motor assembly. The only thing I can tell that is different is the length of the shaft on the motor. The dual head assembly was around $20 and the single head assembly was around $10. Both were purchased from Amazon.

20210904_223954503_iOS.gif

The photo below is of the dual head assembly disassembled for use.

20210904_230158485_iOS.gif

Below is a photo of the pump being modified.

20210904_230257367_iOS.gif

Below is a photo of the bottom of the pump with the bottom removed. Two of the rubber feet in back have to be removed to gain access to the screws. There is another screw under the CE label that also has to be removed. I assume the sticker is a way for them to detect if the pump has been tampered with for warranty purposes.

20210904_230533080_iOS.gif

Below is a photo with the motor removed. The wires are still attached.

20210904_230635804_iOS.gif

Below is a photo of both motors side by side after detaching the wires with a soldiering iron.

20210904_232234726_iOS.gif

Below is a photo of the new motor attached to the wires. The red dot on the motor is near the lug attached to the red wire. I would assume that if hooked up the opposite direction the motor would turn clockwise instead of counterclockwise.

20210904_232505390_iOS.gif

Below is the pump back together with both pump heads installed.

20210904_233025770_iOS.gif

Below is a photo after the tubing was changed to longer tubing and a flow catch was done. The flow was 60ml a minute with the pot setting in the photo. This seems to vary from pump to pump so a flow catch is required to get the correct value. This pump is ready to use if I need to replace the one in use. On the green pump head the clips are slightly closer together than the white ones so the pump head snapped back on the pump has a tighter fit and is harder to get off than the white pump heads. After these photos I started using the white pump heads since they were eaiser to get on and off the pump.

20210905_212654509_iOS.gif

This is my first post here in quite a while. It took me a while to get this done here. Over half the photos were too large and had to be cropprd to get then in. I am not sure of the exact size limit but the originals were taken with an iPad. Also I was un aware of the 10 photo limit so I had to reduce the number of photos. Now that I am aware of this I will have to account for that on the next post.

I modified a Intllab pump with a different motor to allow two pump heads on a single dosing pump. This has been in use since around March of 2021. It has been running so good that I decided to modify one of the spares like this. This time I got some photos as I was doing this. The first three photos below are of the dual head motor assembly and of a Intllab single head motor assembly. The only thing I can tell that is different is the length of the shaft on the motor. The dual head assembly was around $20 and the single head assembly was around $10. Both were purchased from Amazon.

View attachment 32373031

The photo below is of the dual head assembly disassembled for use.

View attachment 32373032

Below is a photo of the pump being modified.

View attachment 32373033

Below is a photo of the bottom of the pump with the bottom removed. Two of the rubber feet in back have to be removed to gain access to the screws. There is another screw under the CE label that also has to be removed. I assume the sticker is a way for them to detect if the pump has been tampered with for warranty purposes.

View attachment 32373035

Below is a photo with the motor removed. The wires are still attached.

View attachment 32373036

Below is a photo of both motors side by side after detaching the wires with a soldiering iron.

View attachment 32373037

Below is a photo of the new motor attached to the wires. The red dot on the motor is near the lug attached to the red wire. I would assume that if hooked up the opposite direction the motor would turn clockwise instead of counterclockwise.

View attachment 32373038

Below is the pump back together with both pump heads installed.

View attachment 32373042

Below is a photo after the tubing was changed to longer tubing and a flow catch was done. The flow was 60ml a minute with the pot setting in the photo. This seems to vary from pump to pump so a flow catch is required to get the correct value. This pump is ready to use if I need to replace the one in use. On the green pump head the clips are slightly closer together than the white ones so the pump head snapped back on the pump has a tighter fit and is harder to get off than the white pump heads. After these photos I started using the white pump heads since they were eaiser to get on and off the pump.

View attachment 32373041

This is my first post here in quite a while. It took me a while to get this done here. Over half the photos were too large and had to be cropprd to get then in. I am not sure of the exact size limit but the originals were taken with an iPad. Also I was un aware of the 10 photo limit so I had to reduce the number of photos. Now that I am aware of this I will have to account for that on the next post.
Does the flow end up being identicle between the two heads (so you could AWC) or is their still some deviation?

Does the flow end up being identicle between the two heads (so you could AWC) or is their still some deviation?
I was using it for AWC until a couple of weeks back. I found that using tubing that was cut together from the same length and replaced at the same time gave the best results. I also had a check valve on the output of each side. When testing after replacing the tubing I would add a check valve also on the output of each and get two containers with equal amounts of water in each. I would pull from one and place it in the other container with one head and do it in the opposite direction on the other. I would run it several minutes to see how much difference there was. Some times if it was too much I would switch around a roller or two to see if I could get it to even out. I have several spare heads now so it is not hard to get two to match.

A user with the Hydros controller was using the built in AWC regimen and could not figure out how to pause the AWC when they wanted too so I switched to a separate drain and fill pump to use the Hydros regimen to see if I could get it to pause. I was able to do that. So far I have let it run that way since. It is still the same pump. I just remove one of the pump heads and added a fill pump for the time being. Here is a photo of the dual head pump in place with the white pump heads. The bottom left pump is AWC. The pump to the right of it is the ATO. The pump just above the ATO is dosing All For Reef. The pumps on the top shelfs are spares. The shelves are for a tank that is not yet setup. The tank is 35ft from this control board which is in the garage.

864E23BF-84B2-4FAE-B218-D6C9DE0FB72A.jpeg

Back