Build a Diatom filter from scratch

Paul B

Premium Member
I have 4 or 5 old Vortex Diatom filters in various stages of disintegration and I use one all the time to stir up the gravel in my 125 gallon tank. I also use it to blow out detritus in the pores my real rock. The tank uses dolomite gravel and the gravel has been in there for the 52 year life of the tank.

I also use the diatom filter many times when I collect NSW which is full of sea weed parts, sand and all sorts of debris because I take it from shore.

My last Diatom filter croaked after many fixes and modifications so I built one. I have been wanting to do this for many years because the manufactured model has not been built in many years and it was a horrible design for salt water and it rusted bad causing the bearings and seal to fail.

This working prototype I built in about an hour and so far it runs very well but I didn't put the diatom powder in yet.
The main two parts are a typical under sink water filter housing available from Amazon for about $20.00. The pleated filter cartridge inside is a 30 micron. They sell a one micron and if you use that you don't need diatom powder but I want to try this one first with the powder.

1702746750184.jpeg

The pump is a 500GPH Supreme Hydro-Mag pump. $68.00 on Amazon

The membrane inside is $13.00​

Pentair Pentek R30 Sediment Water Filter, 10-Inch, Under Sink Pleated Polyester Filter Cartridge, 10" x 2.5", 30 Micron​

Last edited:
This is the finished prototype ready for testing.

Diatom 1.JPG

The galvanized cap on the bottom of the filter is a 4" end cap for a dryer vent duct. It will corrode so I will replace it on the finished model with a rubber one available in a plumbing supply of Home Depot.

I also would not use that piece of "melamine" shelving material at the bottom as it doesn't do well with water. I will use either Plexiglass or varnished wood.

I also will replace that clear tube between the pump and filter with a 1/2" PVC pipe using a union in the middle for ease in taking the thing apart.

I installed the thing and it is working better than my wildest dreams......... Well,, maybe not my wildest dreams because they involve a bowling ball, Vintage Linda Ronstadt "record", 2 Q-Tips, a brake shoe from a 1957 Oldsmobile Starfire and a duck.

But it is working perfectly :giggle:

Speaking of Home Depot. When I came out of the store this guy approaches me saying "Sir...Oh Sir". So I know he is going to ask for money.

He tells me he is 58 years old and has no money. They just turned off his "Cable" and his kids are going nuts. Meanwhile the guy is dressed better than me and has about 2 pounds of gold chains around his neck one of them is big enough to secure a bicycle with.

And he has CABLE.
I told him being that it is near Christmas I will give you two bucks. He says, can I do any better?
I said listen, you really need to come up with a better line and get rid of those gold chains (or sell them and get rid of cable.

I said Take it or leave it. He said, i will shut up now. I said..Good Idea.

I posted a picture of the working model here but the file is to big and I don't have time to reduce it or remember how. :giggle:

In my test it looks like some of the diatom powder is getting through the 30 micron filter so I ordered some 5 micron filter cartridges for a test.
I knew there would be some tweeking to do.
The H.O.T. Magnum pleated cartridge is 1 micron and is also meant for diatom powder use but I suspect 5 micron will be plenty fine enough.

The bag in the original Vortex passed some powder. You ran it in a bucket until the water cleared. That way the larger pieces coat the filter bag and catch the finer ones. Then you apply the filter to the tank.

Yes I know. But I knew the thing would require some tweeking. It is going to work perfect and if it doesn't I can also buy 1 micron filter cartridges. 😁

I acquired a half size model so while I am tweeking the larger one, I will design a smaller one for a smaller tank. These prototypes are just for design ideas. I am not sure yet if I can get the correct cartridge for the smaller one.

IMG_1827.JPG

I also found a material for the base that is cheap, available and all plastic. I will use that for future models of this project.

So you are sucking water through the filter instead of pushing it through? Is that to keep the pump from getting clogged up?

So you are sucking water through the filter instead of pushing it through? Is that to keep the pump from getting clogged up?
That is so the diatom powder doesn't go through the pump.
You charge it by sucking the powder in and onto the pleated filter.
You flush the dirty powder back out the inlet to recharge it.

Back