Cool Fish on Diver's Den

So , question from a uk fish keeper to my American friends. Why, oh why, oh why has noone bought this?? A juvenile of this species is unbelievably rare. Ive seen way more peppermints for sale than baby africanus. I know the adults arent to everyones taste but surely the price is worth it even for the 1st years colours?

http://m.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=353423

I'm assuming not many people want to pay $650 for a fish that becomes one of the ugliest angels in the hobby. IMO at least

Actually i dont see the adults as ugly seen a few of them and they are certainly prettier than some more popular and common fish like Gem tangs and people dont seem to mind paying a couple of grand for those. Only ever seen one juvenile in the UK and if i saw another id buy it in a hearbeat , amazing colous. Guess I must be in the minority though or someone would have snapped it up :)

1106151-243.jpg

blue jaw tilefish. pretty cool

I have a pair of these plus three purples and a pastel tilefish. Definitely my faves.

liveaquaria prices

liveaquaria prices

not here to bash liveaquaria since i have been using them for years. but i am amazed how how their pricing is. for example, i bought a mature male and female hawaiian flame wrasse from my lfs for $249. on liveaquaria your looking at over $400 for the same fish. last week i bought a pair of midnight clowns from the same place and paid 60$ for the pair. same fish that were on liveaquaria were $250. they looked identical and i get the same warranty. liveaquaria has always been good to me but i will only use them for something that i can not get from my lfs.

not here to bash liveaquaria since i have been using them for years. but i am amazed how how their pricing is. for example, i bought a mature male and female hawaiian flame wrasse from my lfs for $249. on liveaquaria your looking at over $400 for the same fish. last week i bought a pair of midnight clowns from the same place and paid 60$ for the pair. same fish that were on liveaquaria were $250. they looked identical and i get the same warranty. liveaquaria has always been good to me but i will only use them for something that i can not get from my lfs.

A pair of flame wrasses with a 14 day guarantee for $250 is an awesome price! Good score! That being said, divers den is almost always pricier than any LFS due to the time and effort they place in conditioning the fish.

But, it sounds like you have a great LFS. The only guarantee mine has is 24 hours, and you must bring the body of the fish in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A pair of flame wrasses with a 14 day guarantee for $250 is an awesome price! Good score! That being said, divers den is almost always pricier than any LFS due to the time and effort they place in conditioning the fish.

But, it sounds like you have a great LFS. The only guarantee mine has is 24 hours, and you must bring the body of the fish in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my lfs is family owned and they qt the fish when they get them. i am very lucky to be so close to them. i agree that dd sells quality fish and when i did have a problem they took care of it.

I will be honest and say that I have lost more money buying rare/finicky fish from local LFS', than I have on Diver's Den while paying a premium price. Having a specimen already conditioned and eating makes a world of difference when keeping a delicate fish. Sure, shipping is an added stress, but all the fish I have gotten from DD have acclimated pretty well after a few days. For me, the 14 day guarantee is everything because it's a crucial period for a fish to get settled in a tank during that time. If the fish was properly conditioned and eating at the facility, it should make it past that acclimation period. If not, either they didn't condition the fish long enough or something in my tank was responsible for its demise. All in theory of course...

What the others said before...
+ Diver's Den (and of course Live Aquaria mail order sources in general) is for many the best option if they have no decent LFS within reasonable range.
+ Diver's Den often has obscure fish or inverts that otherwise hard to find unless you live in L.A. or a similar hub and have direct access to the importers/wholesalers.

In the end the price is what the market is willing to pay. As long as someone buys it at that price within a reasonable period the price is right, otherwise it gets adjusted down until it sells. That's the basic idea of a free market (not to be confused with capitalism).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I recently got a Red Tail flasher wrasse from LA that was very thin....looked like a fish head with fins. He died after 7 days in QT. LA refunded my money on the spot.

This is really the first time I've gotten a fish from them in the 4 years I've been ordering from them that I felt should not have been shipped. I've gotten a few that developed symptoms of disease after a while in QT but they arrived looking fine.

DD is a good bit higher. LA is higher than LFS but I've found it cheaper than some other on line stores I've dealt with.

Back