Coral Tank from Canada (1350gal Display Tank)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 298 pages I breathed a major sigh of relief! What a trip, congratulations! I hope you are enjoying the fruits of you labour with a great feeling of accomplishment while maintaining a positive state of mental health :thumbsup:

Contest - Only 3 Days Remaining

Contest - Only 3 Days Remaining

Hi, just a reminder to everyone that there are only 3 (count 'em) three days left in Peter's Name the Fish and Count the Fish Contests. Closing date is September 6th at midnight EDT. Prizes are a $500 gift certificate for each contest. Don't forget to send your entry in soon.

Good luck to all contest entrants!

Dave.M

I know that you never become great by being happy with where you have come so far, but to just match the level to date would be an amazing feat in its own right.

Rest assured that we all will keep holding your bar up higher LOL.

Very much looking forward to next week and Iowa!!!!

David

David, Andy Tripa from Romania just called to say that he and his wife are coming to MACNA and he has offered to pick me up at the airport. He is coming into Detroit and driving from there. I don't think he realizes how far it is but on the off chance he does it may well affect my availability for dinner Thurs night. On the other hand it may not so we may have to play it by ear for Thurs. I will call when I arrive at the hotel. I expect sometime around 5 pm give or take an hour. Looking forward to meeting with you.....finally.

Peter

teachers are nothing if not very flexible. I am sure we will be able to meet up sometime. At worst, a glass of wine somewhere would be great too LOL

I am sure we can work something out on the ground there. Safe travels

cheers
David

Thank you Lia. I spent almost a year and a half on the forum before starting my build. Best strategy by far. Are you going to MACNA?

Peter

Hi Peter - I got back into my office this morning after a week long trip out east - it looks like I WILL be able to get to MACNA in Des Moines as it turns out. I wasn't so sure it was going to work. I plan to drive down Thursday afternoon so I can be there in plenty of time for Friday's events.

I hope to meet you and some of the others while there.:wavehand:
Laurie (Lia)

Last chance!

Last chance!

Today is the last day to send in your entries for Peter's Count the Fish and Name the Fish contests. We will be accepting your entries up until 12:00 midnight tonight EDT (UMT-5).

The prizes are there for anyone to win: a certificate for CDN$500 for each contest applicable to any RC sponsors.

Don't miss out on a great opportunity. Follow the instructions and send in your entry today!

Dave.M

Last edited:
I think it's GMT-4. I get confused moving from one forum to another where some are in GMT, some in UMT and some in UCT. Who can tell anymore?

Dave.M

Hi Peter - I got back into my office this morning after a week long trip out east - it looks like I WILL be able to get to MACNA in Des Moines as it turns out. I wasn't so sure it was going to work. I plan to drive down Thursday afternoon so I can be there in plenty of time for Friday's events.

I hope to meet you and some of the others while there.:wavehand:
Laurie (Lia)

We will touch base for sure. I will try and set something up for the thread community but I have to wait until I get there to get the lay of the land.......

See you there.

Peter

Hello Mr. Wilson, not trying to hijack your thread here, but I would like your opinion on monodactylus argentus in reef aquariums. Here is a video of what I have. I was unsuccessful in finding much info on the web concerning these fishes in the reef aquarium. Also if you wouldn't mind please subscribe!

<iframe width="1280" height="750" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OgiX8yWsLnA?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hello Mr. Wilson, not trying to hijack your thread here, but I would like your opinion on monodactylus argentus in reef aquariums. Here is a video of what I have. I was unsuccessful in finding much info on the web concerning these fishes in the reef aquarium. Also if you wouldn't mind please subscribe!

Hey Baldwin I was just thinking about you this week as MACNA approaches. I guess this one might be a little too far for you this year, or are you going for it?

Monos are an underrated fish. They make a great schooling fish, especially in large public displays where motion is important. I used to keep them at full seawater salinity back when I had the wholesale warehouse. They always did better than in 1.010 brackish. If they git sick, I dropped the salinity to fresh water. Fish can take a steep drop in salinity, but increases are every stressful due to the added osmotic pressure and all the work fish have to do to pump the salt out.

Monos are "scaleless" smooth fish and subsequently bruise easily in shipping. I used to use nitrofurazone and malachite green to treat new shipments prophylactically.

I don't know what else to tell you, other than they can get quite a bit bigger than you think :) They are reef safe and look best in a group, but a pair will suffice. If you are looking at other brackish fish, there are some really nice puffers and of course scats (be careful as they are poisonous). Anableps, archer fish and mudskippers are cool for a mangrove tank. The Chinese aquarium stores in big cites have the best prices and selection of brackish fish.

Peter, Hope to meet you and Wr.Wilson at MACNA. Can't say I've been any kind of help to you, but I have been following since the beginning and chimed in a time or two. I always like when I can put faces and personalities to the screen names. And if you guys need a break from the fish on Saturday you should take in the Iowa vs. Iowa State football game. Go Hawkeyes!

Contest Winners

Contest Winners

Thx everyone for playing. Here are the contest winners:

Count the Fish: Winner is RC user Russter - $500

Name the Fish: Winner is RC user FLA2341 - $500

Peter will contact you about how to claim your winnings.

I tried to post the answers here but the forum says it is too big. I will put the answers up on the Contest web page shortly.

Thx again, everyone!

Dave.M

Congratulations to the winners. I only missed by a couple,.

Dave I have a question. Are there not 2 Bluesided Fairy Wrasses, second one to the right of the one marked, head away from the camera? I did like trying to pick out the fish and never saw the blue jaw or mandarin.

Steve

WOW! I can't believe I won. Thanks Peter and your team for creating such a great community spirit with your build. There truly is nothing like it anywhere else.

sk said:
Dave I have a question. Are there not 2 Bluesided Fairy Wrasses, second one to the right of the one marked, head away from the camera? I did like trying to pick out the fish and never saw the blue jaw or mandarin.
Steve, I made that same mistake as well. It was Mr.Wilson's sharp eyes that pointed out to me that what you see to the right of fish #34 is its reflection in the side glass. That's why I added the warning in the contest instructions to watch out for reflections.

Check out the answers on Peter's web page. We've put up a larger image of the answers. To see the full sized Answers Image go to Peter's Contest album and check out the last image in the set.

Hope that helps,

Dave.M

WOW! I can't believe I won. Thanks Peter and your team for creating such a great community spirit with your build. There truly is nothing like it anywhere else.

Thx everyone for playing. Here are the contest winners:

Count the Fish: Winner is RC user Russter - $500

Name the Fish: Winner is RC user FLA2341 - $500

Peter will contact you about how to claim your winnings.

I tried to post the answers here but the forum says it is too big. I will put the answers up on the Contest web page shortly.

Thx again, everyone!

Dave.M

Congratulations Russter and FLA2341. Its great that two long time members of the thread won. I'm happy for both of you. I will be in touch by PM after the MACNA to get your winnings to you. Thanks to everyone who participated. This is a great community that will just keep on getting better.

I look forward to meeting many of you who are attending the MACNA in Des Moines. Mr. Wilson and I will be in most of the events and venues throughout the weekend.

Peter

Wow, simply spectacular Peter. I'm excited to see your wonder under LEDs.

I spent much of the past day catching up as business has largely kept me away for the last month. I was saddened to learn of the loss of the Idols and would love to see that crab in a bisque or beside clarified butter.

Congrats to you, Shawn and the gang! Leaving for MACNA tomorrow and looking forward to catching up with you and the rest of the Nineball followers in Des Moines...

I owe "you" a drink from last year ;)

Wow, simply spectacular Peter. I'm excited to see your wonder under LEDs.

I spent much of the past day catching up as business has largely kept me away for the last month. I was saddened to learn of the loss of the Idols and would love to see that crab in a bisque or beside clarified butter.

Congrats to you, Shawn and the gang! Leaving for MACNA tomorrow and looking forward to catching up with you and the rest of the Nineball followers in Des Moines...

I owe "you" a drink from last year ;)

Great Tom, I look forward to catching up.....

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back