Coral Tank from Canada (1350gal Display Tank)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're a class act Peter! Congrats on your achievements... It must be hard keeping such an international mass of eager onlookers satisfied; and yet you still keep somehow managing to provide pleasant surprises, and continually raise the bar!!!

Beautiful Shots Gary!!! You've wowed the beer right out of my hand... these pics require a good glass of wine - truly classy. Well done all!

Sheldon

Peter,

I started reading this thread about a month ago. I was captavated. I read every word of every post. I learned, I laughed and I shared the whole experience with everyone, albeit at an accelerated pace. What a phenominal display of commitment, dedication and cooperation. I have included here a quote of the first post to remind you and everyone how far they've come. Mission accomplished and so much more enjoyment to come.
VISION

To create a suite of 4 coral islands in a shallow lagoon. Each island is to be named in recognition of four of the top aquarists generally acknowledged by members of the reef central community.

CONFIGURATION
Display Tank
The acrylic tank is L shaped with the following dimensions: Length is 8 feet plus 16 feet: Width is 3 feet: and Height is 2 and one half feet. (24'X3'X2.5') I'm not sure what the metric equivalent would be. The tank is at least 1" thick all round except the 16 ft panel which is 1.5 "œ.
The tank is accompanied by a custom tubular steel stand fitted to the tank by ATM.
All sides of the tank are viewable except the two end caps providing almost 50 feet of seascape.

Dedicated Purpose Built Fish Room

The support for the main display tank is a custom integrated system with various tanks and reactors built in line. There are also three MARS retail display units housing at least twenty-five tanks that will be used for coral and fish propagation as well as quarantine /hospital tanks. Additional dedicated power with an on line natural gas 17,000 watt generator has been added.

I have been in the hobby for nearly fifteen years yet I still learned a lot from reading this! Mr. Wilson deserves special recognition to this point. I thank you, sir. As soon as things slow down you need to get on that book. I think "Reef Keeping: Best practices" would be an appropriate title. Sign me up for a first edition so I can start getting stained and salty!

I'm running short of words to convey the greatness of this thread. It was more than a build it was an adventure.

I only have one question. Peter, how serious are you about real automation? I'm an Electrical Engineer and design automation for industry for a living. I have spent the last five years automating a plant that deals with all sorts of chemicals and water parameters. I have toyed with the idea of automating my system. Controlled by a fully interactive touchscreen LCD. It just doesn't seem worth it for a 180g nano. There is not really any limit to the things I could program it to control, lighting, pumps, chemistry, anything at all really. Total customization would be a great benifit. Also with the current line of plc's, network communication is seamless. Imagine changing and monitoring anything in your tank via your phone from anywhere in the world...

Thank you,
~Tyler

Seriously thank you for sharing this with us

gary. pictures of peters tank are stunning.
peter ive seen your tank when you first started adding corals.
youve done an extreamily well job of putting the ocean in many peoples home
congrats.

vic

Thanks for all of the kind words. Glad people are enjoying the photos. Here are a few more.
Gary

Pseudocheilinus hexataenia
phpseudocheilinushexataenia01b.jpg

Centropyge bicolor
phcentropygebicolor01b.jpg

Amblyeleotris randalli
phamblyeleotrisrandalli01b.jpg

Aeoliscus strigatus
phaeoliscusstrigatus01b.jpg

As evidenced by your last name homonym to par.... you were certainly born to capture images... masterful photography Mr. Parr! Detailed down to the individual rays and scales of each fish.

It was said in the past that the pics don't do this beautiful aquarium justice; in fact probably everyone who had the opportunity to visit this tank in person joined that particular chorus...

I think we would all change our tune after seeing your work.... Wow your macro eye is incredible.

Very inspired,

Sheldon

Thanks for all of the kind words. Glad people are enjoying the photos.
Gary

Gary. Any chance or plan to visit Thailand?
If so, I would like to shake your hand.
And more than that, it would be my honor if you can snap some pictures of my tank.
Cheers,

Gary is not only blessed with the technical skills, he also has the patience. We had to shut down the pumps to minimize the marine snow and every time he would get set up for a shot, the Sohal tang or one of the other fish would come into frame to check things out and stir up more detritus! The real patience award goes to Gary's wife Marga who patiently waited while Gary did his magic.

It's refreshing to see real pictures with no post editing to alter the true beauty.

Again, thanks to all for the kind words and I'm glad so many have enjoyed the images. Shawn, yes, my wife is incredibly understanding, patient, and supportive. Chingchai, I would almost kill to photograph your reef but that kind of travel will probably never be a possibility. However, I always thoroughly enjoy it when photos are posted. That aquarium is a visual treat.

More photos from Peter's tank are on the way.

Gary

Sorry, Scott, but I don't have anything put together. I occasionally do presentations about how to do this kind of photography at club and hobby events. I'll next be speaking at the SEASL club meeting in St. Louis on Oct. 15.
Gary

Gary

Do you have any links or web pages set up to help teach others how to take better pics?

cheers scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back