Coral Tank from Canada (1350gal Display Tank)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peter,
I'm looking forward to seeing another top notch build from Canada! It seems us Canucks are not well represented in the reefing world! :)
I hear you guys have access to some pretty amazing specimens in the GTA; quite a contrast to w hat we get access to here in Winnipeg.

Keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to seeing this up and running!

Tyler

Peter,

Its going to be very interesting and fun to watch you build this monster. I would assume the basement will be finished around the same time as the tank? Is the MARS system to hold all fish/coral in QT? Do you run geothermal in the house?

nineball said:
The tank is accompanied by a custom tubular steel stand fitted to the tank by ATM.
Yes, I should certainly think you'd want a bank machine attached to this monster. ;)

What's a MARS tank, eh precious? I got some very interesting perspectives from Google, but nothing that seemed apropos.

Thx and subscribed,

Dave (just south of you in the Forest City)

anything that requires a crane has got to be good.
looking forward to the progression of this large project.

nineball,

What are you going to use for in tank flow? Closed loop, surge tank, power heads? I am really looking forward to seeing this dream come to life! You might want to think about opening it to the public and charging admission! :rollface:

Peter. Your build thread do inspire me.
I wish I can go bigger (just another dream).:lolspin:

Just one question:
Do you have any link or homepage of "Mars system"?

I don't but I will try and find it....I think the company was aquired.... right now i am lugging in ro water for the rock storage bins......

Peter

great start to a build thread. gardens look nice. will be following with great interest as im getting closer to a big build in my basement. thanks for all the detail.

this is the garden behind the aquarium..........
0_0_ebfe36f55e94f98835b5f94549fa4fd0_1

and thanks,

Peter

Subscribed! (and I don't subscribe to many...)

My next visit to TO will have to be extended by a day!

I would love to hear what skimmer you've chosen for that system. I would recommend you look at some of the commercial systems built by R2K....but maybe you've decided already.

Did you mention something like "view from the above floors"? I couldn't reconcile that with the photos.

Well I must say that your tank is what I have had in the back of my mind should I ever move and decide to consolidate everything into one system. I am anxious to see the progression. As a landscape contractor I must say that your landscaping is also something amazing and picturesque, then I saw your generator and paver driveway and immediately wished that I would have used that paver for my driveway last year. You seem to have great taste in everything you do. Real class!

Peter, your views of the hobby are inspirational. The foundation you have laid speaks volume of your character, undoubtedly this will be a journey for the masses to conform and become a part of. As a fellow Canadian Oakvillian (I spent a good part of my life on the corner of Thrid line and Lakeshore) :) you have filled me with pride. Perhaps down the road I will fly into Toronto to visit the family and if you would be so kind, take a quick tour of your of your reef. A spin down Lakeshore in the GT would be cool... kidding, I dont want to push my luck! ;) I look forward to the progression. Oh one question, I dont know if i just missed it, but, who are the other two islands dedicated to?

Cheers,
Kevin

Thank you for the compliment and the shared DNA. At some point in this evolution when there is enough progress I will be happy to show the results.

As for the other two islands...........

I don't want to start this too soon but my belief after a year on the forum is that if a poll were run on the top four Aquarius's two consistent choices would always appear....David Saxby, and Chingchai.

Both would qualify on several levels. First the appearance, which sets them apart from the crowd and is uniquely identifiable from a hundred feet away. If someone said to me, I've seen an aquarium just like Chingchai's, I know what I'm going to see. That's a look and feel that can be defined, documented and observable across a landscape of aqua sculptures. In other words to see that style is to know and identify the author.

Both Chingchai and David have a 'build and maintain' methodology that is disciplined and extremely well respected by their peers. Both have operational support systems (fish rooms) to die for that are clearly saturated with best practices.

As for who we might choose to fill the other two spots???????I thought I might initiate a poll at some point and see if there is a general consensus on the other two. I know I have a couple of candidates but in all honesty I'm not sure that they would be as widely acknowledged as David and Chingchai.

First I have allot of work to do just to document the foundations of this build first.

Peter

Wonderful start to a build. Your generator purchase is a great idea and will add a lot of peace of mind through the years. I never understand 10s of thousands for tank set ups and not spending 4 grand on a good back up generator.

Does the crane belong to you or did you pick it up from the local Rent All?:lolspin:

Mark

Thank you Mark, actually if I had held onto the crane for another 23 minutes I would have owned it forever!!!!!!!

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back