corals too close can be bad (?)

CTaylor

Hi
I had an acro that would go up and down as far as looking good, PE, etc to getting white tips and white streaking down the tips. PE reduced, strings coming off it. When I have SPS decline it's often correlated to an increase in ALK (just how my water chem balance is, which I'm fine with). This time no alk spike. The lighting in this area is "medium" maybe 230 PAR. Though I have found my acros to be very sensitive to higher lighting.

The acro was between several ricos to its right, a hammer to it's left, and elegance to it's rear. There were a few inches gap to the reaches of any of them. I moved it to a lower light area, no LPS or anything soft around it. Within 2 days I see some growth over the tips I broke off (I clipped most of the ends of the coral head right before moving it).

A few days later I noticed a previously well growing acro frag looking half dead. It still has PE, oddly, but the actual tissue between the polyps looks mostly gone. It was very very close to a stylo. about 1/2 " between the two. I did move it also (2 days ago) and it's not dead yet.

Does this sound 'normal' when it comes to proximity of acros to other coral types?

Elegance corals have long sweeper tentacles and are considered a semi-aggresive coral. They will sting nearby corals.

Hi Sugar. It wasnt that. The Hammer's are longer (at least mine are). and it wasnt that either. But both acros are clearly better where tehy were moved to. Both were in theire spots for a very long time -- months. The stylo I know has little sweepers, which might explan taht acro's decline (?)

Back