Could use some ALK help

Outrigger Reef

My ALK is at 7.4 and I want to get it to 8.5 using Randy's #2 baking soda. I will mix 1-1/4 cups to 1 gallon of RO water. My tank is a combine 100 gallons with sump and DT. Per the reef chemistry calculator I should dose No more than 71 ml per day? Just want to check to make sure I am going in the right direction.

As always thank you for your help.

Raising the alkalinity to 8-9 dKH should be fine. You can dose more than that amount of supplement, if needed, although you might want to spread the dosing out into 2-3 portions to avoid spiking the pH too much.

If you are running an ULNS you would want to keep your alkalinity at 6-7.5 or so. if you are not carbon dosing then going higher would be fine.

If you are running an ULNS you would want to keep your alkalinity at 6-7.5 or so. if you are not carbon dosing then going higher would be fine.

I just started carbon dosing and my ALK is going down every week with a 15% weekly WC. I have very low to zero nitrate and Hanna checker says low Po4, but I do have my rocks leeching Po4 hence the hair algae. I don't have to clean the glass so that is how I am guessing on the rocks leeching. The tank is two years old. I just started to add more LPS and within the past four weeks my ALK is slowing dropping. My Acans don't inflate like they use too and the only thing that has changed is the ALK dropping. So that is why I want to bring it back up to 8.5.

Am I on the right track?

Some people report problems with higher alkalinity levels when dosing carbon. Others don't. I don't think moving the alkalinity from 7.4 to 8.5 is going to do much, either way, assuming the alkalinity kit is accurate. I might get a second opinion on the measurement first.

Some people report problems with higher alkalinity levels when dosing carbon. Others don't. I don't think moving the alkalinity from 7.4 to 8.5 is going to do much, either way, assuming the alkalinity kit is accurate. I might get a second opinion on the measurement first.

I have the Hanna ALK and red sea test kit. Both are reading 7.4.

Okay, that seems reasonable, then. You probably could raise the alkalinity a bit without problems, although I'm not sure that it'll help the corals.

Could use some ALK help

Fwiw - I get better growth out of my sps at 7.5 than I did at 9. This is just based off anecdotal observation, nothing scientific, but was my observation nonetheless. Color is also better for me at NSW levels.

I figure the ocean is pretty damn good at growing corals....why not match it as much as practical.

Fwiw - I get better growth out of my sps at 7.5 than I did at 9. This is just based off anecdotal observation, nothing scientific, but was my observation nonetheless. Color is also better for me at NSW levels.

I figure the ocean is pretty damn good at growing corals....why not match it as much as practical.

I have to agree that my hammer and Zoe's are getting better color with the lower ALK at 7.5, but my Acans are not inflating like they once did.

Back