Crocodile Hunter killed by sting ray

Um....perhaps a joke or two about the inapropriateness of mason blocks as car jacks? Yah, probably...Oh, we'd all think it was a shame, but you have to admit, you do kind of exploit those poor cars for your own benefit. Heck, i even heard a nasty rumor about you changing the oil on one car with your infant son in your hands.

As for me, I'll take the cameraman's word for it. Irwin knew well the behavioral patterns of reptiles. He grew up with them and studied them extensively. It's like the whole Siegfried and Roy thing. Around something you know well, you are not entirely safe, but Roy had worked with tigers for how many years before the incident?

Steve Irwin dives and is filming. He swims over a stingray and the cameraman is blocking the ray's forward means of escape. Ray feels threatened and decides to act. It's way plausible with no intentional "pestering". Even a longtime diver may not be throughly knowledgeable of stingray behavior.

He got in a situation where he wasn't as fully knowledgeable as he was with reptiles, yet he was still confident. Heaven's how many times had he done this type of thing before? The fact remains that a wild animal is still a wild animal. What it may percieve as a threat, who knows as it may vary from animal to animal. He got caught in the kind of incident that everyone knew would happen but are shocked by when it happens.

What flattens me is the whole absurdist irony of this. Is it the Black Mamba that kills him? No. How about the King Cobra? No, no, not him either. Saltwater Croc?!?!? Nope. What kills him is an animal that is traditionally believed to not inflict fatal injuries.

My prayers go to his wife, kids, and parents. What a loss.

Peace

Kevin

I felt the same way. You'd have thought it would be a big croc that got him.

His staff have said that they knew if he were to ever get seriously injured or killed by an animal that it would be in the ocean. Just like you said, not in his element when diving.

Any time you enter an animal's domain you are taking a risk.

I joked about a damsel but just today I had to replace a fallen rock and got bit 3 times by my domino damsel. Since he hosted in my anemone he has been very testy, not the first time he has bit me. Of course, the bite doesn't amount to anything but in his mind he is protecting his turf.

Ah, but then there is that rare occurance when you put your arm too far into the tank exposing your cephalic vein to the fish. The Damsel tries protecting its territory by biting you and just happens to lightly bruise this vein. The bruise leads to a small blood clot which embolises to your lung. The decreased blood supply leads to necrosis of your right lung lobe and you get an aerobic infection and then become septic, ultimately dying of a severe endocarditis.... ok, it doesn't happen often, but you really have to respect the dangers of working with damsels... And for (insert divine being here)'s sake, don't feed them with an infant in your arms.

Thank (insert divine being's name here) I took a Medical Terminology class. I knew that would come in handy sometime!

Back