Crooked and missing raptorial appendage.

ArmasCG

I have a wonderful Gonodactylaceus ternatensis that has recently had molting problems. One of her raptorial appendages is missing, and the other seems to be crooked and non functional. I'm not worried about the missing one as I know it should grow back given enough time if she lives long enough (not sure how old she is), but the crooked one worries me. Do I need to remove it somehow to ensure that her next molt goes smoothly? If so, what is the best way to do that? I have gone through many successful molts with her before this is the first time she has had any issues.

My G. ternatensis had issues with his raps a couple times when he molted. Missing, bent, crooked, etc. They always sorted themselves out after 2 or 3 three molts.

That's really good to hear. I feel bad for her, when she was able to strike she was HIGHLY aggressive and now she acts like a sad puppy because her tank is full of small crabs and she can't bash any of them.

You can take that to your advantage and try adding fish and other livestock with her while she recovers. She might get used to them and forget about the killing when she's better.

Frozen diets IMO are healthier anyway.

They definitely are more timid when they can't defend themselves. It's not terribly uncommon for raptorial appendages to get messed up in the molting process, they have pull this big Popeye arm though a little hole opening in the molt shell.

Well looks like I need to go get some more frozen food then. I have been spoiled living right next to the water with almost constant tidepool access.

Interesting to hear all this and seeing as I either have many or had many I must admit....not ONCE did I EVER find ANY individual with mutations after molts....not once.

And with so many individuals one might assume that I would of run into this problem at the very least once...

Interesting to hear all this and seeing as I either have many or had many I must admit....not ONCE did I EVER find ANY individual with mutations after molts....not once.

And with so many individuals one might assume that I would of run into this problem at the very least once...

I kind of wonder if it happens more to some species than others.

Last edited:
Don't they litteraly tear themselves apart if they strike during/after a molt without hardening their raptorial appendages? It's possible it's not a mutation but instead the result of an early strike?

Back