Customer Service at Aqaumart.

Ebmorri

So as some have read my post about my 58gl with a front panel being off a bit. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774675 one thing that I didn’t say in this post was there is also a small vertical bubble in the seam for 6” .

Well I dropped of the tank last week and was told that they would try to get a better one The person there didn’t see a need to give me any sort of proof that I had dropped off the than they just wanted me to leave something that cost me right around $430 with no proof. So I said I need a letter or a refund, since it’s not like I know anyone like before. So he had me write up something and he signed it.

So this weekend I stopped in to talk to Chris, just to make he didn’t see an possible issue getting a replacement tank and was told “They will have to see if the disturber has any in stock so it would be this week or maybe next before they get a new one.” Which I was fine with just let me know, although no-one asked for my phone number or name even. He said that they will try to order Monday and it would be here Wednesday. Well since they didn’t take any of my info I called today and talked to Chris, just to see what’s up because I’m going out of town next week.

I ask Chris if he was able to get one and he said “Yep and this one is a little off too” my next question was there a bubble in the seam and was told “no”. He then goes on to tell me that the owner said “That if this doesn’t make me happy, then just give me a refund”

My replay to that is “Since it’s still in the 30 days that I brought it, I want a refund and I will do business else where”

I know that there are not too many good shops around town and AquaMart is (was) one of them but I’m not planning to shop there anymore.

Am I over reacting?

Go to Aqua Imports.

You can meet Mike & Tom this weekend at the meet.
You wont be disappointed.

Stu

I dont think your overreacting to wanting quality when you buy something new.If the owner does not want to make things right and from what you say it sounds like you are being portrayed as an inconvenience because you want it right then i would go elsewhere as well.

I dont think you are overreacting as much as maybe reading into it too much. The way im kinda seeing it is that the manufacturer is having a issue getting a quality product in and he could continue to order them every week and you may never see a decent one. And since you are paying for it you shold get one that is built correctly. And he could continue to order them till the 30 day return process goes by and then you might not get a refund. Ive had many tanks from many different suppliers some good some not so good. But I would say its more a issue with the manufacturer than the store.

I dont see the problem. They said you could have a refund and that is what your after right? Are you mad because they were rude about it or are they not giving you a refund? I think Aquamart is an ok place, but prices on some stuff is a bit to high. LFS these days suck some prices are so high im surprised they are still in business. Out of all the crapy fish shops i would have to put Aqua mart at the top of the list. I personally dont like any fish stores enough to buy anything more than replacement bulbs or salt and thats about it. The last fish store i liked enough to buy stuff at was US Aquariums and they have been out of business for several years now. I will go see Ki once in a while but they really dont have much in there new smaller location. These days i just surf the local forums until i see something posted for sale there used or at a normal price. patience is key to waiting for stuff online, but if you need something right away LFS is the only way to go sometimes.

After reading hoodrats response i also think that maybe aquamart's thinking is not that they dont want to get you another tank but that the manufacturer has gotten it wrong twice and they dont want to try for a third.I am not sure how it was communicated and if it was me i would prob rather hear a few options ie: We are having trouble with this manufacturer and we can either try for another brand of tank or a refund but either way it is not wrong for you to expect good quality.

I dont think you are overreacting as much as maybe reading into it too much. The way im kinda seeing it is that the manufacturer is having a issue getting a quality product in and he could continue to order them every week and you may never see a decent one. And since you are paying for it you shold get one that is built correctly. And he could continue to order them till the 30 day return process goes by and then you might not get a refund. Ive had many tanks from many different suppliers some good some not so good. But I would say its more a issue with the manufacturer than the store.

This is how I read it also.

i just wonder if they are planning on keeping the tank for another guy to buy

That would be my guess. Why throw away a tank when they can just sell it to someone else. An air bubble doesn't necessarily mean that it is trash. I have seen tanks that have bubbles that have been set up for a long time with no problems.

I was in Todds this week and they had a 120 I checked the seams on thinking of the thread about the seam and it was off a little too. Could be the manufacturer isn't as tight on QC as they once were. I think the response you got was perfectly acceptable. They could order 10 tanks before finding one that is "right". I don't think your problem is with the store, it's the manufacturer.

I dont see the problem. They said you could have a refund and that is what your after right? Are you mad because they were rude about it or are they not giving you a refund?

No that not what I'm after, I'm after a tank that is the quality that is expected. If I just wanted a refund I would have ask for it when I dropped the tank off. The only time I even brought up a refund is when I dropped the tank off and they were not going to give ne anything in writing stating that they had the tank and it was in as purchased condition. If I dropped the defective tank off and had nothing in write, say a panel got broken I would have no recourse.

I can agree that if they are having issues with the supplier and they don't want to have to keep going through this, but say Hey we have been having issues with that manufacture and we could keep doing this until we get a good one. However when you are told that the owner said "IF the customers not happy with this one, just give a refund." end of story, not because we’re having problems getting a good one in. To me it they have the attitude of you get what you get and you will be happy with it. If the new tank was a little off and didn't have the air bubble in the seam I would have took it and been happy.

As Keith said "I am not sure how it was communicated and if it was me i would prob rather hear a few options ie: We are having trouble with this manufacturer and we can either try for another brand of tank or a refund but either way it is not wrong for you to expect good quality. "

Last edited:
Well after looking at all the aquariums in my house everything in the house over 10 gallons has at least some bubbles in the seams and at least one pane of glass that isnt flush. Having resealed a number of tanks myself plus just owning a whole lot more to get one that is perfectly flush with no bubbles in the silicone is a matter of luck not skill or quality. The glass tends to move some after it is initially set as the silicone cures and to expect perfection from any manufacturer at least IMO is beyond overkill.
As far as Aquamarts actions can't see I would find too much wrong there either if I shopped there frequently.

oceanic tanks suck. If i remember correctly, i heard a couple LFS owners not very happy with their stuff. that was a few years ago, but it looks like nothing has changed.

OK I have just returned from Aquamart and talking with Chris and this is the outcome.
I told him that per our conversation today I took the “That if this doesn’t make me happy, then just give me a refund” as the customer is just being a pain and we don’t want to deal with him. He stated that was not what he wan meaning an then we talked about the issues with trying this over and over, which I totally understand them not wanting to do nor do I. So chalk that up to miss-communication and what he was saying and I was hearing wasn’t what he was meaning.

Now on to the good/bad part:

As he stated on the phone this one in not perfectly square either, but we both agree to at least look at the tank. Well we walk in and right off the bat I see an issue (more about this in the end.) I look at the seams and they are great, a little off but well within reason, no bubbles that can be seen. I have him feel the seams of the new tank then the seams of the old one and he was surprised at how far off they were. In my other post I said one side was 1/16th off and the bad side was 1/8th off and he agreed.

Now back to the bad that even Chris said was a major issue. The new tank is not reef ready, as the one I purchased was. So he will contact his supplier and get a new RR tank in next week hopefully, but I told him no rush since I will be in Cancun on Thursday.

Erick

expect perfection from any manufacturer at least IMO is beyond overkill.

I would agree with this and I can not see anywhere I said I was looking for "perfection" or perfect squared corners. IMO expecting and item be made within a reasonable spec is not overkill. I guess Chris thinks the tank I returned was not made within acceptable specs either because once he saw the tank he never said. oh that just how they are or were never gonna make you happy.

Well, I hope you get this straightened out. I am of the same opinion you are. Perfection, may not be the norm, theres no reason we can't get close and at least get a tank that looks good in your eyes.

Good luck, I hope this all works out for you.

Enjoy Cancun!!

I'll agree you can't really expect perfection from anything that's not custom made, but also you'd expect it to at least be somewhat close and decent. I used to think Oceanic was a higher end manufacturer, but in the last couple years I've seen more and more complaints about them. Too bad really.

If you're DIY-inclined, I'm sure you could make your own tank for quite a bit less money and you would control the quality :)

Back