d2mini's 25g Office Lagoon

Interesting.
Are you using a Mag 18 on yours?

Do you ever experience the skimmer over skimming & flooding the cup? Sometimes with skimmers this can happen because something died or something new was added to the sytem (such as a filter sock...etc).

I find the ReefOctopus to do that like crazy & the SWC skimmer to do it less frequently & the Deltec AP600 to do it rarely.

"IM Ghost Skimmer this time" ... don't do it, go with the HVS3-24 Hang-On.

& can't wait to see how the Reefbrite Hybrid MH/LED fare.

Only thing that has stopped me from even considering a tank at work is we don't have a backup generator. If the power goes out at night or during the weekend, I'd have to come to work to baby sit. I don't care much for that...otherwise, I'd kill to have a small tank in my office.

Interesting.
Are you using a Mag 18 on yours?

Do you ever experience the skimmer over skimming & flooding the cup? Sometimes with skimmers this can happen because something died or something new was added to the sytem (such as a filter sock...etc).

I find the ReefOctopus to do that like crazy & the SWC skimmer to do it less frequently & the Deltec AP600 to do it rarely.

Yes, mag 18.
No flooding the cup, unless the water level in the sump changes. I don't turn it off when feeding, either.
Most consistent skimmer I have ever had.

Very nice Dennis. Sump, ATO, skimmer on this one?
Thank you. Sump, no. ATO yes, but haven't gotten it yet. Probably the tunze nano.

"IM Ghost Skimmer this time" ... don't do it, go with the HVS3-24 Hang-On.

& can't wait to see how the Reefbrite Hybrid MH/LED fare.
Too late on the skimmer. And the lifereef is way more than id want to spend on this thing.
I didn't run a skimmer on the 10g nano. But figured the ghost would be better than nothing on the 25. We'll see.

Only thing that has stopped me from even considering a tank at work is we don't have a backup generator. If the power goes out at night or during the weekend, I'd have to come to work to baby sit. I don't care much for that...otherwise, I'd kill to have a small tank in my office.
I have a battery back up on the vortech.
So at least I have flow for a bit. But yes, it is more of a risk.

Free frags from the office, gotta love that part :)
haha :thumbsup:

U have me considering a tank at work. I work at a power plant with plenty of backups so i wouldnt have to worry about power loss. And we have a million gallon tank of ro/di water so no shortage of water either. Lol.

U have me considering a tank at work. I work at a power plant with plenty of backups so i wouldnt have to worry about power loss. And we have a million gallon tank of ro/di water so no shortage of water either. Lol.

:eek1:

No tank at your office = :facepalm:

Do you think it is safe to put the LifeReef on a timer, lets say on 12hrs & off 12hrs / day, to save electricity? Do you think the start/stop will cause issues or cause the skimmer to overskim, go nuts & overflow the cup?

My eshoppes doesn't like being turned on and off a lot. I turn it off to feed every night and it seems like I have to adjust it every time it turns back on. Kinda a pain.

I know what you mean. I have a ReefOctopus1000SSS & it is so tempermental & can overflow so easily. Then I also have a SWC & it too overflows but far less frequently than the RO.

My Deltec AP600 was the best when compared to the three & it overflowed VERY rarely & I would be shocked when it did. It was such a solid skimmer, but too bad for the hard to find AquaBee 2000 pump for it. They want $170+ just for the impeller for that pump & 270+ for the whole pump....crazy!!!

Do you think it is safe to put the LifeReef on a timer, lets say on 12hrs & off 12hrs / day, to save electricity? Do you think the start/stop will cause issues or cause the skimmer to overskim, go nuts & overflow the cup?
Totally fine. Even when i do a full clean with vinegar bath, the thing is back to skimming like a champ within 12 hours, no adjustments needed.
But your savings is miniscule. And remember a mag is a pressure rated pump and you are dialing it back with the valve so it's not running at full power.
You can try a dc pump too. People have been experimenting with those on this skimmer.

Do you have someone at your office that can/would care for your tank if/when you go on vacation? That was something else I thought about later...if I went on a week or 2 week vacation, I don't think anyone at my office could be counted on for more than a top off.

Do you have someone at your office that can/would care for your tank if/when you go on vacation? That was something else I thought about later...if I went on a week or 2 week vacation, I don't think anyone at my office could be counted on for more than a top off.

Yes. I've had a 10g or smaller in the office for several years.
There's always someone around to feed the fish for a week if I'm gone or alert me of a problem.

My work is building my dept. a new building set to break ground next year. I've got to figure out how to incorporate a tank in my office. I've got an IM8 laying around I could use for a desktop tank and maybe set up one of my 10g as a cheap sump...just wouldn't be able to keep fish. Too risky if power went off at a bad time (which seems to be the ONLY times it goes out) or if I left for an extended time. Some simple corals wouldn't need more than light, circulation and occasional WC's.

Man you're a bad influence!

Been going crazy starting to break down the big tank and bring frags in for this tank.
Here's a quick phone shot of everything just piled in there.
Now I need to start glueing frags to rocks!

i-Mbw4kf7-L.jpg

How hard was it to choose what to keep and frag off and what to let go of? Looking like a great start to the office tank.

Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you placing the coral, looking good though. :thumbsup:

How hard was it to choose what to keep and frag off and what to let go of? Looking like a great start to the office tank.

Not too bad, really. I think I got a piece of pretty much everything I'd want to keep. But it was tough letting go of some of the huge colonies, especially a couple of my LPS like a big aussie wall hammer.

i-BcsV6xM.jpg

Back