d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

Dennis. You don't disappoint. Whether you working in the space the size of a garage or just what's under the stand your attention to detail is flawless. That doser rack is awesome.

That grow light looks interesting. Right now I have an AI Sol white over my fuge. Seems a little over kill to by driving 800 par into a fuge. Do you think I could grow mangrove under that thing. If not I could move them to the frag tank I have coming. That thing would be sure to get the police at my front door. The other day I arrived home late from work and it was dark out and the blue glow emanating from the the fish room was visible from a few houses away. I can only wonder what my neighbors must think.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Dennis. You don't disappoint. Whether you working in the space the size of a garage or just what's under the stand your attention to detail is flawless. That doser rack is awesome.

That grow light looks interesting. Right now I have an AI Sol white over my fuge. Seems a little over kill to by driving 800 par into a fuge. Do you think I could grow mangrove under that thing. If not I could move them to the frag tank I have coming. That thing would be sure to get the police at my front door. The other day I arrived home late from work and it was dark out and the blue glow emanating from the the fish room was visible from a few houses away. I can only wonder what my neighbors must think.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Thanks! :)
These things are used to grow plants so it should grow mangroves just fine.
I've had the best luck with mangroves so far under high powered daylight spectrum compact florescent lamps.

newbie here

newbie here

Hello everyone,
I have been following along and have read Dennis's previous tank build. I am very inspired. I have no reefing experience but my wife and I are planning to downsize in 2 years and I finally get my reef tank. I have always had fresh water aquariums and currently have a Red Sea 36 gal fully planted discus tank.
Dennis your builds are truly inspiring and personally are very educational. I am in the research phase and have gathered a lot of info. I will continue to read and learn. Thanks for posting your build

wow. awesome attention to detail. Interested to see updates!
Thanks, check back later this weekend for more I hope. :)

Subscribed.. Another Epic build thread..Great work!
Thanks! :)

Hello everyone,
I have been following along and have read Dennis's previous tank build. I am very inspired. I have no reefing experience but my wife and I are planning to downsize in 2 years and I finally get my reef tank. I have always had fresh water aquariums and currently have a Red Sea 36 gal fully planted discus tank.
Dennis your builds are truly inspiring and personally are very educational. I am in the research phase and have gathered a lot of info. I will continue to read and learn. Thanks for posting your build
Awesome. Welcome! :)

UPDATE 5-2-16

Exciting news!
The sump is here! :D
I picked it up from www.buildinganobsession.com this weekend and they knocked it out of the park!
We went back and forth a little on design. There were two things we needed to achieve.
The first was a large refugium, and the refugium had to be the first section, per Triton.
I was shooting for around 12% of the tank volume based on Triton's recommendations and my past experience with a workhorse refugium.
I think we ended up with right around 20g of water volume. MORE THAN ENOUGH!
Second, the Elos drains (similar to beananimal or herbie style setups) is capable of A LOT of flow.
BAO was worried about turbulence with that much water flowing through the sump. So they designed two devices that would help with this and can be seen in the pics below.
First is the output from the drain. There is an elbow and then a long slotted tube so the water is more dispersed across the width of the sump.
And since this is the fuge section, this also creates a gyre which should keep things circulating.
Because the flow is so high, I'm not sure what's going to happen with the macros.
I could imagine the possibility of the gyre being too intense so maybe I can play with the cap on the end, letting some of the water out that way to control the flow out the slots a little.
I won't know until everything is up and running. I'm shooting for around 12x flow through the sump.

And the second way to deal with the turbulence is the black ramp on the other side of the first baffle in the skimmer section.

A couple of other details worth noting...
Heater holders were tucked in under the ramp.
Plenty of 1/4" water line connections for dosing tubes, ATO, etc.
I hate socks and Triton doesn't recommend them either, but just for a little extra filtering if needed, we added a space for some filter pad/sponge material in the return section, along the adjustable height skimmer baffle.
And the one thing missing that I'll show once the sump is in the stand, is a magnetic probe holder that is a new design by BAO that really seals off the magnets from the saltwater.
Apparently they did some extensive testing under high pressure and were finally confident enough to release the design into real world use, something they've avoided in the past.
I know many of us, including myself, have seen the damage that can be caused by water penetrating seals and causing magnets to rust in the aquarium.
Total size of the sump is around over 37" long by 22" front to back and 18" high.
It's a beast and barely fits in the stand. One door had to come off to get it in.

Anyway, the sump is in my possession and I was able to take a few shots before putting it in the stand.
The only background I had that was large enough was black so it's a little hard to see in these pics, but the back panel of the sump is black.
Top and bottom are white, and the baffles are red... and BAO played with contrast by adding some more black with the ramp and heater holders.
I'm so stoked with how it turned out! :)

i-vbNHKRq.jpg

i-cGLX3Q5.jpg

i-jF2L6cP.jpg

i-jQXdzwL.jpg

UPDATE 5-2-16

Exciting news!
The sump is here! :D
I picked it up from www.buildinganobsession.com this weekend and they knocked it out of the park!
We went back and forth a little on design. There were two things we needed to achieve.
The first was a large refugium, and the refugium had to be the first section, per Triton.
I was shooting for around 12% of the tank volume based on Triton's recommendations and my past experience with a workhorse refugium.
I think we ended up with right around 20g of water volume. MORE THAN ENOUGH!
Second, the Elos drains (similar to beananimal or herbie style setups) is capable of A LOT of flow.
BAO was worried about turbulence with that much water flowing through the sump. So they designed two devices that would help with this and can be seen in the pics below.
First is the output from the drain. There is an elbow and then a long slotted tube so the water is more dispersed across the width of the sump.
And since this is the fuge section, this also creates a gyre which should keep things circulating.
Because the flow is so high, I'm not sure what's going to happen with the macros.
I could imagine the possibility of the gyre being too intense so maybe I can play with the cap on the end, letting some of the water out that way to control the flow out the slots a little.
I won't know until everything is up and running. I'm shooting for around 12x flow through the sump.

And the second way to deal with the turbulence is the black ramp on the other side of the first baffle in the skimmer section.

A couple of other details worth noting...
Heater holders were tucked in under the ramp.
Plenty of 1/4" water line connections for dosing tubes, ATO, etc.
I hate socks and Triton doesn't recommend them either, but just for a little extra filtering if needed, we added a space for some filter pad/sponge material in the return section, along the adjustable height skimmer baffle.
And the one thing missing that I'll show once the sump is in the stand, is a magnetic probe holder that is a new design by BAO that really seals off the magnets from the saltwater.
Apparently they did some extensive testing under high pressure and were finally confident enough to release the design into real world use, something they've avoided in the past.
I know many of us, including myself, have seen the damage that can be caused by water penetrating seals and causing magnets to rust in the aquarium.
Total size of the sump is around over 37" long by 22" front to back and 18" high.
It's a beast and barely fits in the stand. One door had to come off to get it in.

Anyway, the sump is in my possession and I was able to take a few shots before putting it in the stand.
The only background I had that was large enough was black so it's a little hard to see in these pics, but the back panel of the sump is black.
Top and bottom are white, and the baffles are red... and BAO played with contrast by adding some more black with the ramp and heater holders.
I'm so stoked with how it turned out! :)

i-vbNHKRq.jpg

i-cGLX3Q5.jpg

i-jF2L6cP.jpg

i-jQXdzwL.jpg
I have the same type of slotted pipe in my lifereef fuge. Its a stand alone 20g. I'm not draining directly in there from the tank. So I used a ball valve to cut down on the flow some. And it can keep Cheato tumbling. I also have a deep sand bed in there. But it works well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Wow [emoji7]. Speechless...
haha, thanks. :)

Very sharp looking sump.
Thank you! :)

I have the same type of slotted pipe in my lifereef fuge. Its a stand alone 20g. I'm not draining directly in there from the tank. So I used a ball valve to cut down on the flow some. And it can keep Cheato tumbling. I also have a deep sand bed in there. But it works well.

Yep, i had the slotted pipe in my LifeReef refugium on my previous build.
But that one was fed separately so I had the control like you say.
There will be no substrate in this one. All i had in the LifeReef was a ball of chaeto and it worked great. Nitrates and P04 were actually too low in that tank.
But I'm right in line with what Triton recommends as far as flow and the fuge so I'm not real worried about. :)

I think the industry needs to come up with a "Designed for d2mini" or "Approved by d2mini" or "Used by d2mini" logo and start stamping it on a select set of products. That's a 15% jump in price that is easily justified. Oh, and perhaps a "Not available in Canada" sticker in bright yellow for a good measure.

Very happy for you, you are going all in, d2mini style (there, I said it again).

interested to see how the Mars Hydro works out for you. looks like it might be a decent option for my setup as well.

I think the industry needs to come up with a "Designed for d2mini" or "Approved by d2mini" or "Used by d2mini" logo and start stamping it on a select set of products. That's a 15% jump in price that is easily justified. Oh, and perhaps a "Not available in Canada" sticker in bright yellow for a good measure.

Very happy for you, you are going all in, d2mini style (there, I said it again).
Ha! I like your thinking. :D

interested to see how the Mars Hydro works out for you. looks like it might be a decent option for my setup as well.
Ya, me too!

Amazing build so far as usual, keep up the good work.
Thank you!

What a great looking sump. Can you explain the purpose of the ramp.
High flow would cause the water to shoot through the slots of that baffle and arc into the water below creating noise/turbulence/bubbles. The ramp acts as a buffer, letting the water flow smoothly down into that section. And it takes up less room than additional baffles. It was tough trying to fit that much refugium into that "small" of a sump.

Back