d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

Great looking sump! BAO built my sump and did a nice job. FedEx damaged it in shipping and Ben stood behind the product. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him based off that experience.

Has the ramp been tested in action or is just in theory? I would think it needs some sort of baffle to really show down the water.

Thank you for the explanation. How much flow are you planning for threw the sump

I'm shooting for around 12x flow through the sump.
;)

Great looking sump! BAO built my sump and did a nice job. FedEx damaged it in shipping and Ben stood behind the product. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him based off that experience.

Has the ramp been tested in action or is just in theory? I would think it needs some sort of baffle to really show down the water.
Thanks! It's BAO tested and approved. :cool:

Damn D2!!! that thing in nice. Our sump will have allot of similarities. I'm more excited now about my sump and cant wait to get it.

Last edited:
Wow that is one sexy sump. Can't wait to see some water in that bad boy. Are you planning on hanging the same light above the fuge that you had in your last build?

D2mini, that sump is really cool. I cannot wait to see your tank in action. Your attention to detail is second 2 none.

Woohoo! Glad to be along for another D2Mini build! Great work so far, looking forward to seeing it wet.
Thanks, me too! :)

Damn D2!!! that thing in nice. Our sump will have allot of similarities. I'm more excited now about my sump and cant wait to get it.
haha, awesome. :)

Wow that is one sexy sump. Can't wait to see some water in that bad boy. Are you planning on hanging the same light above the fuge that you had in your last build?
Thanks. If you go back a page or two you'll see pics of the new fuge light. :)

D2mini, that sump is really cool. I cannot wait to see your tank in action. Your attention to detail is second 2 none.
Thank you. :)

The sump already looks better than my tank lol

I can't wait to see what's coming for the display :D
haha, thanks. :)

Wow Dennis, beautiful sump. I love what BAO came up with for the drain, hopefully it works for your macros. I take it there will be a sponge/something to block macros in the last section where the egg crate is?

Educate me a little bit on sump design, why the black baffle on heater holder is lean to the refugium side?

Educate me a little bit on sump design, why the black baffle on heater holder is lean to the refugium side?

It's leaning toward the skimmer side. First stage will be his macro algae and I'm looking forward to some more chaeto dance videos.

vvv

What a great looking sump. Can you explain the purpose of the ramp.

High flow would cause the water to shoot through the slots of that baffle and arc into the water below creating noise/turbulence/bubbles. The ramp acts as a buffer, letting the water flow smoothly down into that section. And it takes up less room than additional baffles. It was tough trying to fit that much refugium into that "small" of a sump.

It's leaning toward the skimmer side. First stage will be his macro algae and I'm looking forward to some more chaeto dance videos.

vvv

I sure did miss that.

From left to right, is it return pump, skimmer, and refugium section with spray bar?

How do we compare filter pad/sponge and filter socks?

Because the water drains into the refugium from the display tank, then spills over the ramp into the skimmer section.

I sure did miss that.

From left to right, is it return pump, skimmer, and refugium section with spray bar?

How do we compare filter pad/sponge and filter socks?

Correct.

I've never liked filter socks. They clog and are a pain to clean.
A filter sponge is easy to rinse in the sink, and/or toss in the washer, and depending on what material you are using, cheap enough to toss in the trash once a week. Most of that stuff can be purchased in large sheets and cut to size.

When did my wife join RC?! :eek1: :lol:

Her exact words to anyone admiring my last tank... "hi, nice to meet you. This is our pool".

You should compromise with her. Pool in the backyard, but it has to be a legit saltwater pool with one end dedicated to a reef.

Just imagine the fun you'd have snorkeling the reef in your own backyard!

Just imagine the fun you'd have snorkeling the reef in your own backyard!
And imagine the chiller I would need. :D

Following along. Crazy prep work so far. Amazed at how much thought you have put into this.
Thanks! :)

Nice sump Dennis! But where do u put your probe?
Well now, that's kinda personal, don't ya think? :uhoh2: :lol:
And the one thing missing that I'll show once the sump is in the stand, is a magnetic probe holder that is a new design by BAO that really seals off the magnets from the saltwater.
Apparently they did some extensive testing under high pressure and were finally confident enough to release the design into real world use, something they've avoided in the past.
I know many of us, including myself, have seen the damage that can be caused by water penetrating seals and causing magnets to rust in the aquarium.

Any chance of a second trip to Tampa Bay for us to live vicariously though you're means??? That was pretty awesome to be able to follow your experience with gathering your live rock before.

Oh, and whats with this 2 days and no pictures business? :jester:

Back