d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

These design guys and their money trees...

Meanwhile us pharmacists with student loans bigger than our mortgages!

LOL, I paid off my 10 years of student loans over 10 years ago. ;)

So far, every cent spent on this build has come from selling stuff from my previous, larger build.
Anybody want to buy my last Sea Swirl? I need to buy some TBS rock! :beachbum:

So far, every cent spent on this build has come from selling stuff from my previous, larger build.

Coming along nicely Dennis, can't wait to see what Richard sends you. :beer:

Sure :p How much and how much will it cost to send to argentina :p:bigeyes:

Dennis,

I followed all of your builds and am happy to join this one early on. Its funny but when I saw you post on Mark's Deep Dark Elos thread I had a suspicion that an Elos tank was in your future! Really looking forward to this build and I'm sure this will be the best one yet!

I stumbled across your thread in the Profilux forum which lead me here. I love what I see so far!:thumbsup: You can't go wrong with an Elos!

Is the white cabinetry more of a flat or gloss white?

Dennis,

I followed all of your builds and am happy to join this one early on. Its funny but when I saw you post on Mark's Deep Dark Elos thread I had a suspicion that an Elos tank was in your future! Really looking forward to this build and I'm sure this will be the best one yet!
Thanks and welcome aboard. :)

Great Thread!
Thank you. :)

I stumbled across your thread in the Profilux forum which lead me here. I love what I see so far!:thumbsup: You can't go wrong with an Elos!

Is the white cabinetry more of a flat or gloss white?
haha, thanks. It's gloss white. :)

Hi Dennis,

Great thread! Congrats for the effort and mainly for sharing.
Even if it's not my league (i'm a simple reefer and some day i'll find the time to explore new tecnics and apparatus) i love to read and learn about it.

Rgds,
AR

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk

Schools were still closed yesterday from the Houston floods so I had some time to slip in an extra little project. :D

My Profilux is going to be stacked with my new white Doser 2 that I posted a pic of earlier.
I just couldn't bear the thought of the old gray/blue color scheme and the shiny new white/silver color scheme sharing the same shelf!
So I got to working on that today.

This was the earlier photo of the GHL Doser 2.

i-cB8KRmp.jpg

And this is an old photo of the Profilux with the old style Doser...

i-zLRRhrT.jpg

And this is what I used for paint... Rustoleum Lacquer spray paint.

laquer-spray.jpg

A few screws removed, some lacquer spray paint and a spare afternoon...
Now I have a shiny new controller! :D

i-mTxPpQX.jpg

i-PGZL329.jpg

i-3PHw3rJ.jpg

i-brzQkCX.jpg

i-F9rMWtS.jpg

I'm currently working on the shelf that's going to hold the controller and doser.
The profilux looks like a whole new unit!! Good job on the build your attention to detail is awesome!

Hi Dennis,

Great thread! Congrats for the effort and mainly for sharing.
Even if it's not my league (i'm a simple reefer and some day i'll find the time to explore new tecnics and apparatus) i love to read and learn about it.

Rgds,
AR

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk
Thanks! Glad you like. :)

The profilux looks like a whole new unit!! Good job on the build your attention to detail is awesome!
Thank you! :)

Finished the shelf I was working on today.
This is what I was in the middle of when I painted the Profilux.

It's just a 3 sided structure with standard right angle joints using a Kreg jig.
A little wood filler helped smooth out the seams.
The bottom left corner is notched out where it sits on top of the equipment panel.

i-mSjjNNg.jpg

Then I got to painting, using the same white Rustoleum Lacquer spray paint I used for the Profilux.

i-ztJ6Z8h.jpg

Between coats I used some 000 steal wool to help smooth it out and 0000 over the final coats.
I think I achieved a gloss finish. :)

i-wZVC8p3.jpg

And here it is installed in the stand.
Notice the red acrylic shelf. A little taste of what's to come. :thumbsup:

i-TfR4Xck.jpg

i-PFvMVqm.jpg

i-WkjNTzK.jpg

i-tcTt9JR.jpg

i-QJ3KjG4.jpg

I gotta stop looking at this thread, keeps making me want to redo my own gear, your attention to detail certainly raises the bar!
Looks great!

Also - how did you attach the shelfing to the stand? nail, wood glue, etc? Would love to see how you did that becaues it is hidden from the eye and makes the stand look good.

After doing a double take on those super-sharp looking pics it hit me the tank isn't even wet yet. 😂 I've been so enamored by the quality of your build it didn't even hit me that it's still dry!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Back