d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

Looks nice Dennis-- I have used a lot of white board for shelving in closets,
however mine is a solid composite, don't know if it comes in larger sheets.

UPDATE 5-12-16

"I also realized I don't have all that much equipment that needs to be mounted, for instance... it's not like I have a bunch of Apex modules. Most everything I need for my Profilux is part of the Profilux computer itself"

Neptune Apex users should apply some water to that sick Burn! lol

:furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

k4yPBWD.gif

AHAHAHA!!! :lol:
You guys are funny... i totally didn't mean it like that.

That said.... i've got some aloe vera for Penny. :thumbsup:

I don't want to start a debate. But I would like to know how you feel about the quality of the Profilux? I'm diving deeper into the reef hobby and am looking more options to have success.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I don't want to start a debate. But I would like to know how you feel about the quality of the Profilux? I'm diving deeper into the reef hobby and am looking more options to have success.

IMO, it's the most reliable, robust, best engineered (software and hardware) controller available.

And this is my thread, so no one is allowed to say otherwise. :p

IMO, it's the most reliable, robust, best engineered (software and hardware) controller available.

And this is my thread, so no one is allowed to say otherwise. :p
Roger that. I was reading up on it a little and it seems to be awesome all the way around. And the saving begins [emoji16] lol

What are your thoughts on the GHL doser? Im aware you do not have the Apex,but would you mind pointing your thoughts on the DOS? Im currently evaluating a purchase and would like to consider as much info on the top two options available out there..
Thank you for any info

I had the old doser and it worked great.
Haven't tried that new one yet but it seems like it will be fantastic.
The DOS I don't get. Only two pumps, it's huge and from what I keep hearing on the forums, it's loud.

I had the old doser and it worked great.
Haven't tried that new one yet but it seems like it will be fantastic.
The DOS I don't get. Only two pumps, it's huge and from what I keep hearing on the forums, it's loud.

Thank you for your input. I do see these concerns about the DOS, but one thing that makes me second guess the GHl are the pump motors? I suspect that is a selling pitch from Neptune, but would you know if the quality of the motors on the DOS would indeed result in longer life/be any different than the ghl's?

UPDATE 5-12-16

"I also realized I don't have all that much equipment that needs to be mounted, for instance... it's not like I have a bunch of Apex modules. Most everything I need for my Profilux is part of the Profilux computer itself"

Neptune Apex users should apply some water to that sick Burn! lol

:furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

Lol I actually agree.

Thank you for your input. I do see these concerns about the DOS, but one thing that makes me second guess the GHl are the pump motors? I suspect that is a selling pitch from Neptune, but would you know if the quality of the motors on the DOS would indeed result in longer life/be any different than the ghl's?
The GHL has 24v Stepper Motors, accurate to .1ml
I don't know how long they will last in comparison to neptune's. I'd say only time will tell.
Other features of the GHL...
- WiFi for programming options MyGHL cloud service and compatibility with apps/smartphones
- ports for connecting magnet stirrers! (stirs before dosing)
- port for connecting an upcoming external GHL Control Pad (4.3" capactive touch screen)
- port for temperature measurement with alarm
- port for ATO and AWC (with 2 optional level sensors)
- expandable, up to 16 pumps with slave-dosers

Dennis, you have issues. LOL.
:D

The GHL has 24v Stepper Motors, accurate to .1ml
I don't know how long they will last in comparison to neptune's. I'd say only time will tell.
Other features of the GHL...
- WiFi for programming options MyGHL cloud service and compatibility with apps/smartphones
- ports for connecting magnet stirrers! (stirs before dosing)
- port for connecting an upcoming external GHL Control Pad (4.3" capactive touch screen)
- port for temperature measurement with alarm
- port for ATO and AWC (with 2 optional level sensors)
- expandable, up to 16 pumps with slave-dosers

:D

16 pumps, man thats a lot of dosing.

I have both pieces of equipment and can give you my opinion on them. They both are stepper motor driven, so are very accurate. Both motors will have a long life as stepper motors are a brush less type motor.

The biggest difference is the size... The DOS is HUGE, but I think it is mainly intended for the water change and top off crowd. The big advantage I have found that is with creative programming and check valves, you can do all sorts of things with a single pump, that normally would take two pumps.

The GHL unit Is designed to dose small amounts, I mean my top off is measured in the gallons, so I'd never want to use it for that, as they would always be running. But If I want to dose, one drop, every 15 minutes of something these units are king.

Sure you can use both units to do both things, but just look at the difference in tubing size and it will really show what these pumps were designed to do... Now if you have a sub 100 gallon system, I'm sure the GHL's smaller pumps would work for topoff and water change, and I'm sure if you only were dosing two part the DOS would be great for that, as you can dose small amounts.

But when you break down the price point, the GHL is cheaper per pump, and when you are a control freak, the per pump price is a big concern, as well who just uses 4 dosing pumps

Just my two sense.

I also run Masterflex pumps, even the giant ones that use 1" tubing and 1/3rd horsepower motors, so noise is subjective. If you find the pumps noisy, slow them down, and dose more often... slower speed means quieter.

I have both pieces of equipment and can give you my opinion on them. They both are stepper motor driven, so are very accurate. Both motors will have a long life as stepper motors are a brush less type motor.

The biggest difference is the size... The DOS is HUGE, but I think it is mainly intended for the water change and top off crowd. The big advantage I have found that is with creative programming and check valves, you can do all sorts of things with a single pump, that normally would take two pumps.

The GHL unit Is designed to dose small amounts, I mean my top off is measured in the gallons, so I'd never want to use it for that, as they would always be running. But If I want to dose, one drop, every 15 minutes of something these units are king.

Sure you can use both units to do both things, but just look at the difference in tubing size and it will really show what these pumps were designed to do... Now if you have a sub 100 gallon system, I'm sure the GHL's smaller pumps would work for topoff and water change, and I'm sure if you only were dosing two part the DOS would be great for that, as you can dose small amounts.

But when you break down the price point, the GHL is cheaper per pump, and when you are a control freak, the per pump price is a big concern, as well who just uses 4 dosing pumps

Just my two sense.

I also run Masterflex pumps, even the giant ones that use 1" tubing and 1/3rd horsepower motors, so noise is subjective. If you find the pumps noisy, slow them down, and dose more often... slower speed means quieter.

This is a great breakdown - thanks. I always feel the noise issue with the DOS is overblown. I have it in my living room on a stand and it is noticeable. I just programmed it not to run from 6 - 11 at night. Problem solved for me! Back to D2 Mini

Back