d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

haha, thanks! :)
The Cebu is an awesome light. It may be a tough road to compete with that.
Definitely get those radions up high. I'm at 14" off the water now and spread looks ok. I will probably end up raising them further as I get coral in the tank.
But I need to borrow our club's PAR meter before I mess with them any further.

Have you considered the wide angle lenses?

How's TBS package part #1 going? Do you follow the directions Richard has published on his page (frequent partial water changes to respond to increased ammonia levels)?

How's TBS package part #1 going? Do you follow the directions Richard has published on his page (frequent partial water changes to respond to increased ammonia levels)?

Go back a bit. Part 2 is already in the tank. ;)

Part 1 was in for a few days. I always follow Richard's instructions but I never saw any ammonia and then tested Nitrates on Day 3 and they were over 20 ppm. There's 4 small fish and a bunch of other critters that have been in there now.

Whoa, I looked away for like, a minute, and wham. Your tank cycled in 4 days, and no water changes during that time?

Wow, there is some serious organization and attention to detail going on in that stand. Beautiful work, wanna come tackle my mess for me?
Seriously though, probably one of the cleanest looking sump/equipment set ups I have seen on here.

Whoa, I looked away for like, a minute, and wham. Your tank cycled in 4 days, and no water changes during that time?
Not during that time I was waiting for ammonia to show up.
I've done a few since part II has gone in to keep the nitrates from going up any further.

Wow, there is some serious organization and attention to detail going on in that stand. Beautiful work, wanna come tackle my mess for me?
Seriously though, probably one of the cleanest looking sump/equipment set ups I have seen on here.
Thanks! :)

I think he has already deleted that word from his vocabulary! :lolspin:
LOL! Not quite yet. :lol:

What's the first Triton-related thing you have to do after adding all of this life? Do you get a baseline test, or is there something else that triggers that? When do you start dosing?

Will you be adding macro algae soon?

What's the first Triton-related thing you have to do after adding all of this life? Do you get a baseline test, or is there something else that triggers that? When do you start dosing?

Will you be adding macro algae soon?

Whenever you are ready to start Triton you get your Alk to 8 dkh using standard test kits and then they recommend a starting dose of 10ml per 100g of display volume. Once you get it stable, time to send your first test off to the lab.

I forgot to introduce my new little Twin Spot Goby that I picked up last week. :)

i-FDRnBzB.jpg

So what happens to the extra nutrients brought in by food in the Triton method? How are they removed from the system?

So I understand your no QT for fish. Just curious if corals go straight in, or do you dip or anything?

I always dip in Bayer.
And I remove the coral from the frag plug whenever possible since dipping won't kill the eggs.

Love your setup. Richard sent me here to take a look at yours. Very clean and artfull you have done well with this one. I am ordering for a 90 peninsula next week. I have an established tank running the Triton as well. I am replacing all my crap fine sand with TBS and am debating on keeping half my rock (started from dry pucani and seeded with a coraline rock so it is very plain blah) and using rock for a 45 or just swapping it all out. Oh BTW probably a typo but the dose rate recommended for startup is 10ml per 100L not gallons.

Love your setup. Richard sent me here to take a look at yours. Very clean and artfull you have done well with this one. I am ordering for a 90 peninsula next week. I have an established tank running the Triton as well. I am replacing all my crap fine sand with TBS and am debating on keeping half my rock (started from dry pucani and seeded with a coraline rock so it is very plain blah) and using rock for a 45 or just swapping it all out. Oh BTW probably a typo but the dose rate recommended for startup is 10ml per 100L not gallons.

Oops, you're right... thanks for catching that typo! :)

And thanks! You'll love going with TBS.
I vote just go completely TBS for the 90. ;)

Dennis I hope u don't mind me posting on your thread but I'm going to ask since u have experience with LR skimmers...... So does it matter if the Venturi is vertical or horizontal?

Dennis I hope u don't mind me posting on your thread but I'm going to ask since u have experience with LR skimmers...... So does it matter if the Venturi is vertical or horizontal?

hmmm... I have no idea. I've only run the stock venturi.
I would think it would be ok, but ask in the LifeReef Skimmer Club thread in the equipment forum. People there have done some experimenting with different pumps and venturis.

Back